Class of 2020

Sorry everyone. I should've reported back sooner.

I punched out 1/31/2020, and headed towards what I thought was a long relaxing retirement. Been at the vacation house in Mexico for the last two months, watching my financial worth decrease by a third. I figure I have enough cash to hold out for 2-3 years, but I'm seriously considering going back into the mines if the trend downward continues. This is painful to watch.

I retired last year at 56. Last week I told my daughter, don’t let my aches and pains fool you, retirement is my favorite phase of life so far. I love the stress free life!

Was hoping for a summer departure, putting that off until the end of the year given the recent haircut to my portfolio and uncertainty in the state of the world economy. This will allow me to buy into the market a bit with a bit more cashflow and still end the year with my targeted cash balance. Very secure gov't job and may get a bit of a sabbatical by working from home some soon (not much I can realistically do from home) to take away a bit of the pain of staying a bit longer. Not stressed; stepping back it is pretty interesting to watch history being made... sucks that I'm adjusting plans, but it's even interesting seeing how much NW I have lost in such a short time and how I'm pretty nonchalant about it... especially given the very real impact to my plans.

FLSunFIRE

Another quick update. I resigned from my government job Jan 9th. Been working on a lucrative temp assignment that ends this week. The government organization that I retired from in January was just "activated" to help with the current coronavirus situation. They need extra help immediately and it will take a while to hire and train. So, I am going back next week to help them get over the hump. Their mission is to help people impacted so it is for a good cause.

As my handle suggests my plan is to “retire “ this August 31. I would like to feel a bit more comfortable than I am currently given the scare right now but I am going to pull the plug on work as planned. We’ve saved up around 2M and frugality is nothing new to us. If a part time job is warranted should the economy go into the dumpster thru the summer, I’ll make that call when the data presents itself.

Your LIST update is here!

Congratulations to everyone that's "Made It" so far! Livin' the dream! :dance:

Class of 2020 (Un)Official list... (I like lists! :) ):

• dingo - 1/2/2020 (Congrats! (snuck in front of Ergragg1)) {CHECK}
  • Erbragg1 - 1/3/2020 (Early bird... Teacher's pet... ;) ) {CHECK}
  • Octogirl - 1/3/2020 {CHECK} (Getting shafted on part-time work?)
  • INTJ10 - 1/9/2020 {CHECK} (W*rking an overpaid temp job)
  • Out_the_Door - 1/24/2020 {CHECK}
  • idledancer - 1/27/2020 {CHECK}
  • nobodyspecial - 1/31/2020 {Waiting for Update...}
  • AS2019 - 2/14/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Third Son - 2/29/2020 {CHECK}
  • target2019 - 2/28/2020 {CHECK}
  • nobody - 3/6/2020 {CHECK}
  • 51notout - 3/6/2020 {CHECK}
  • Maenad - 3/13/2020 {Waiting for Update...}
  • Go-NoGo - 3/16/2020 (Definitely Go! :)) {Waiting for Update...}
  • georgemoe - 3/20/2020 (after 43 years!)
  • CoastboundPNW - 3/31/2020 (Filed and counting!)
  • DRC726 - 3/31/2020
  • mattwallace24 - 4/2020 (Placeholder between March & May)
  • Grimelowe - 4/3/2020 (45yo - Nice!)
  • jaharrer - 4/30/2020
  • Dalmore - 5/1/2020
  • HNL Bill - 5/1/2020 (Subject to change)(but It's gonna happen! ;) )
  • Mountain skier - 5/2020 ("late May")
  • RobLJ - 5/15/2020 (Retiring the rest of the way! :))
  • kingkarmann - 6/1/2020
  • OTDasap2020 - 6/1/2020
  • brainsagolfer - 6/1/2020 (maybe earlier?)
  • pdxgal - 6/30/2020 (Committed now! :))
  • TN Jim - 6/30/2020 (40 years is enough!)
  • ugeauxgirl - 7/1/2020 (Class ringleader :))
  • COcheesehead - 7/10/2020
  • wmackey - 7/10/2020
  • FlyFisher - 9/1/2020
  • L Carlisle - 9/1/2020 (MOSTly retiring...)
  • spikeykiller - 9/10/2020 (Say "NO!" to OMY! :))
  • GoBugGo - 9/25/2020
  • cnocmmz - 9/25/2020
  • Unpaintedhuffhines - 10/1/2020 (RSU's FTW! :))
  • bada bing - 10/1/2020 (Placeholder for now)
  • Draggon - 11/1/2020 (Leaving 9/23/2020 w/PTO)
  • Mr. Vacation4us - 11/2/2020
  • f35phixer - 11/12/2020 (Not committed - likes their J*B!?)
  • ohiodep and the DW - 12/1/2020 (Leaving work 9/17/2020 on vacay!)
  • Mrs. Vacation4us - 12/15/2020 (Mr. V cut in front of her!)
  • retire202052 - 12/2020 (I may have figured out the pattern of your UserID ;) )
  • gamboolman - ??/2020 (pick a date, any date... :) )
  • RxMan - ??/20?? (Class of 2020 Official Stalker) :LOL:

Anyone else want to post their target? Also, lemme know if I miss one.

Please add me to the list

I'll be done once I meet with, and introduce my clients to the people taking over their accounts. Unfortunately today corporate threw a wrench in the plan. Face to face meetings with clients are prohibited for who knows how long. It's going to take longer than I thought. A month or two delay at least.

Another quick update. I resigned from my government job Jan 9th. Been working on a lucrative temp assignment that ends this week. The government organization that I retired from in January was just "activated" to help with the current coronavirus situation. They need extra help immediately and it will take a while to hire and train. So, I am going back next week to help them get over the hump. Their mission is to help people impacted so it is for a good cause.

I know this means a delay in your full retirement but thanks for going back to work for the purpose of helping people during this crisis.

Target was 4/30/2020. Got moved up to 3/4/2020 when I had a stroke. Since I was a heavy jet pilot for a private company, the FAA revoked my medical for at least 2 years. 59.5 yo; here we go!

Target was 4/30/2020. Got moved up to 3/4/2020 when I had a stroke. Since I was a heavy jet pilot for a private company, the FAA revoked my medical for at least 2 years. 59.5 yo; here we go!
Welcome. I hope you make a speedy recovery!

Interesting turn of events. The folks buying me out decided that with the recent slowdown that I was high priced overhead. So I am in essence “furloughed” until the end of April. They want me back May - July 10th my original end date. I’ll use those last couple months to finish off a few projects. Everyone wins I guess. They save six weeks of my salary, I get to work on the new house, bike, hike, etc. I look at it as a dry run for retirement.

Just over two weeks into retirement and a really nice benefit I’m seeing is that I’m sleeping through the night [emoji42]Haven’t done that for 20 years....

Anybody here postponing or reconsidering 'graduation' in light of current financial events?

Anybody here postponing or reconsidering 'graduation' in light of current financial events?

Not due to financial events, but due to the pandemic. Our school district was out on Spring Break last week, and my original plan was to give a two week notice when we returned yesterday. However, schools remain closed and we await a vote from State Board of Education whether to remain closed the rest of year. My (Finance) staff and I are working from home, and if school closes for good I don't know how long that could continue. Maybe into Summer.

So I'll stay to see this through. Partly out of concern for my staff, and partly for the selfish reason that not having to go into work has made my job more tolerable!

I did it last week.
ER plans are now going to be a trial by FIRE.
Will tighten the belt for a few months, the cash bucket is good for a few years. Interesting times as they say.

Well, believe it or not, one of my primary motivations for retirement was the fact that I hated the commute and did not want to seek out a new job.
The virus situation means I no longer commute....going to ride a bit more to see how this turns out. Ultimately, have enough cash to still go out, just want to give it a bit more time to see what happens.

A bit of an update for those who have followed me. Eight months after moving out of old house finally got moved into an overpriced house that needs a lot of work. I got 80% of my stuff back last week and will have time for the house fixes now. Gotta make an 18 hour round trip back to KC to get 20% of the rest of my stuff back. Worst part was my dad also passed a bit over a week ago, sucks not having a funeral till this mess is over. Also one of the bigger reasons of my leaving was they wouldn't let me work for home in another state and guess what, now everybody gets to work from home even the big time non performers that should of been fired years ago. LOL

So, I went on vacation to a 'safe' country last month. A month later, I'd lost ~1/3 of my investments, the ability to travel, and the ability to pay cash for a house in Hawaii. I've deferred my May date...may as well change it to TBD....OMY?

Yes, part of my desire to retire was to leave behind all the "drama" from Admins and avoid the daily commute. Now everyone is FORCED to work from home and there are fewer meetings and nonsense.

I'm finishing a project (by May), so only working part time with very few requests from Admins because of all the changes.

By end of May, I am free except we may still be home bound until pandemic resolves.

Stay safe ! :cool:

So much irony here, isn't there?

I wanted to retire to get rid of my godawful commute - NOW: no commute

I wanted to retire in order to start some serious travel - NOW: no travel now for anyone for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom