Class of 2020

MADE IT!!!! My last day was today. 34 years at the same place of employment: how often does that happen these days? Lots of ups and downs but overall a very good run. I feel blessed to have had a great career, and exceptionally blessed to be retiring from it while still young(ish) and healthy. Life is good.

Congrats. what's your age?
I retired in Sept at 64 after 35 yrs at megacorp.

MADE IT!!!! My last day was today. 34 years at the same place of employment: how often does that happen these days? Lots of ups and downs but overall a very good run. I feel blessed to have had a great career, and exceptionally blessed to be retiring from it while still young(ish) and healthy. Life is good.

Congratulations! Welcome to the 2020 club! I went for 43 years. A little stroll.

Congratulations to all in the Class of 2020. I am in this Class.
I retired this summer but was asked to work/cover over holidays due to COVID healthcare staffing shortages.
It s just for 8 weeks so I don't mind.
I know I'll be back to my retirement life soon, you know, spending an hour with coffee in the morning.....Reading......
DH and I are restoring a 2006 Airstream and look forward to traveling in 2021 !

Last edited:
Was in class of 2018 but made the error of going back at the end of 2019 after nearly 2 years retired. Should never have done it.

Finally got out for good 5th June. Done. Age 48 - 2020!!

Also answered the burning question, does working for a friend make a difference to the working environment? Answer was no which was learnt after 2 weeks back working..oh well.

Happier and more thankful than ever. No questions unanswered and Covid re-iterated the importance of being retired and not taking it all for granted, life is short..

Congratulations to the class of 2020!!

Alas, I am taking just a bit longer to graduate than I had anticipated. Company stock along with RSUs (and some other stuff) pushed me to target October 1, 2021 as my new end date, which as far as I'm concerned, is as firm as anything right now. Income and RSUs through October will give me enough to generate about another $1,500/month in retirement. If the BS meter stays in the red too long, I'll depart before October 1.

So, congrats to the class of 2020 - you have earned it. I won't be joining you just yet, but in 275 days I will be pulling the ripcord (maybe sooner).

Congrats to the Class of 2020 and to those that thought they’d be in the class but had to change their plans- that take courage to change your plans. It’s been quite a year and it was encouraging for me to see all of you executing your plans to transition towards that next phase of your lives.

Thank you all for your updates. It was motivation for me to keep going knowing that one day I’ll hopefully be lucky enough to join you. I hope retirement is everything you’ve dreamed it would be and I hope you will update the rest of us going forward on how you’ve enjoyed your time after retiring.

Congrats everyone in the Class of 2020 and Happy New Year everyone! :dance:

Congrats to all of my former classmates that graduated. Still hoping/planning for this summer. Just adjusted my tax withholding and TSP contributions in anticipation (enough to get matching only and stockpile a bit more cash prior to pulling the plug). Hopefully the world regains some sanity next year so I can feel more confident... can't keep doing OMY.

Congrats and Happy New Year!
FLSunFIRE

Officially joined the class of 2020 today with my severance ending, though I haven’t worked since March. Retiring into a pandemic wasn’t in my plans. Huge thanks to this ER forum and the Bogleheads forums for getting us here in good financial shape. Hoping 2021 is a very healthy and calm year, looking forward to getting back out in the world.

I officially joined the class of 2020 today. My vacation and holiday pay carried me through today, and the first pension check hits the bank account tomorrow. I checked; it is already "pending." :D

So commencing tomorrow, I will officially be paid for being a useless bum. I finally reached the goal I've been working toward for so long! :LOL::dance:

Congrats to all the members of the class of 2020, and a Happy New Year to everyone!

Officially joined the class of 2020 today with my severance ending, though I haven’t worked since March. Retiring into a pandemic wasn’t in my plans. Huge thanks to this ER forum and the Bogleheads forums for getting us here in good financial shape. Hoping 2021 is a very healthy and calm year, looking forward to getting back out in the world.

Talk about under the wire! :D

12/31/20 was my last day of w@rk. Since I stated with the company in 1982 I listened to music from 1982 on the commute in! It was a little surreal knowing that this would be my last drive in. I've been working from home since March but I had to go in the last few days to clean out my office and hand off things to others. I don't think it's really hit me that I'm actually done. My DW finished a week earlier and she's been absolutely giddy. We feel like a couple of kids on Christmas morning! I swear she's is smiling more now that she has in years. So much to look forward to.

12/31/20 was my last day of w@rk. Since I stated with the company in 1982 I listened to music from 1982 on the commute in! It was a little surreal knowing that this would be my last drive in. I've been working from home since March but I had to go in the last few days to clean out my office and hand off things to others. I don't think it's really hit me that I'm actually done. My DW finished a week earlier and she's been absolutely giddy. We feel like a couple of kids on Christmas morning! I swear she's is smiling more now that she has in years. So much to look forward to.

Congratulations! :dance::dance:

It would be nice to update and put a cap on the 2020 list. Is Draggon still around or too busy enjoying retirement? :)
Congratulations to all 2020 retirees who have now completed at least a month of retirement if not more! Feels good, huh? As I told a friend lately, I was born for this!

Back to Work

OK so I did retire in October, got bored after a few months, picked up a consulting gig and now headed back to a full time position. The difference now is that I'm working to have fun instead of needing the money to live on. I'll reassess in a year or two and then pull the retirement plug again. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm considering myself retired. I am going in for a few hours Monday as my replacement had surgery. I have zero responsibility, and I have no idea what is going on at the office. Every time someone asks me how retirement is, I tell them "It's AWESOME!"

Today was my last day! Had planned to quit a year ago in 2020, but then Covid hit. Suppose now I'm Class of 2021. Hasn't sunk in yet. WFH turned out to be sort of a natural glide path to quitting. So glad I didn't have the obligatory work gathering with co-workers at the office. Instead I spoke with my favorite colleagues 1:1 over the last two weeks, and received lots of heartfelt congratulatory emails. It left me with the nice feeling that my work and my person were valued and appreciated. Now on to the overdue house and garden projects!

Congratulations. At 9 months in I have no regrets, and feel healthier than I have in years. No two-plus hour commute or j*b has given me time to get some exercise everyday and I'm down around 35 pounds since retiring. I have a nice garden and a pandemic puppy keeping me busy and have finally been seeing my teenagers grow up.

Congratulations!
Today was my last day! Had planned to quit a year ago in 2020, but then Covid hit. Suppose now I'm Class of 2021. Hasn't sunk in yet. WFH turned out to be sort of a natural glide path to quitting. So glad I didn't have the obligatory work gathering with co-workers at the office. Instead I spoke with my favorite colleagues 1:1 over the last two weeks, and received lots of heartfelt congratulatory emails. It left me with the nice feeling that my work and my person were valued and appreciated. Now on to the overdue house and garden projects!

Congratulations, pdxgal!! You'll absolutely love it!

I just passed my 7 month mark, and it has FLOWN by. I've been so happily busy in retirement that time itself has lost some meaning - in a good way... :)

Enjoy!

given me time to get some exercise everyday and I'm down around 35 pounds since retiring

That's awesome, Karl! I'm all for doing everything I can to keep those actuaries guessing! :)

So class of 2020, how are we all doing?
Two bear markets, a pandemic…. We know how to retire!
We all planned for such disasters - I hope.

I am doing well so far. Financially, mentally, socially. Getting a new puppy soon.

How are my classmates?

Back
Top Bottom