Class of 2022

Well, today was my last day. I worked up until the end, putting out fires, responding to requests, handing off my extensive book of business and helping recruit my replacement. I feel there was still a lot of loose ends. It feels surreal and anticlimactic. My wife is out of town until Wednesday, so we will celebrate then. I'm sure Monday will feel different.

Well, today was my last day. I worked up until the end, putting out fires, responding to requests, handing off my extensive book of business and helping recruit my replacement. I feel there was still a lot of loose ends. It feels surreal and anticlimactic. My wife is out of town until Wednesday, so we will celebrate then. I'm sure Monday will feel different.

Congrats!
Yeah, I was pretty much working on a few final projects and doing handoffs almost to the end too. However, I blocked off my last day though to do wrap-up housekeeping. I also felt there were a few loose ends but was ok letting go and letting the folks taking over my work figure it out. The wheels of the company weren't going to fall out without me. :)
Enjoy the early days of transitioning into retired life. I thought it kind of felt like being vacation but not having the need to check the phone/laptop.

I'm sorry you weren't able to slow down and take stock even on your last day! Most people have some sort of change of pace, whether an officially sanctioned party or just moving very slowly to put your office plants in a box and clean your desk. It sounds as though it was business as usual for you, until it wasn't. And then to come home and your wife unfortunately out of town.

I hope you can use this weekend to take stock now, say goodbye to your work life, and totally ... relax. Sleep late, take a long walk in a park, have a nice, slow drink. I recommend buying a big bunch of flowers and saying, "These flowers are for ME!" Tomorrow is when it will hit you - no Sunday blues. Monday is also for YOU!

One of my worst days at work was my last as well. Too many patients, and I had a rare evening obligation that night. So I had to finish my charting at home on the computer, though exhausted. My last day, over three years ago, finished at 11PM. Good riddance!

Ok had the one-on-one and still feels weird.

The department I work for treats folk with respect which is 180 degrees counter to the company culture as a whole. This was part of the whole conversation, he has actually been respectful, zero micromanagement with me per his nature and habitually recognized where credit was due.

I’m fully aware this is a rare scenario, not really had it at any other time in 25 years of w*rking so it’s hard to get my head around and then proceed to quit.

*One of my friends on the other side of the company just quit and left all his work on his desk, still looks like he works there.

At the end of the day work is still work though and while I am grateful for being respected at least once in my career I still want my time to be my own.

Oooh it’s all about me me me…so selfish [emoji23]

Sept 9th!!! Woo-hoo 🥳🕺

Congrats!!

Update after 7 months post-FIRE. So far it's been fantastic.

I'm now getting to the point where I don't feel like I am not just 'off from work' and just enjoying the days. Signed up for a half marathon (I used to run a lot but then work responsibilities pushed that to the side) and started training for that. We went on a fab Galapagos cruise. And some mid-week camping trips. Otherwise just loving life and feeling fantastic now!

Good luck to the rest of the class of 22!

I'm now getting to the point where I don't feel like I am not just 'off from work' and just enjoying the days. Signed up for a half marathon (I used to run a lot but then work responsibilities pushed that to the side) and started training for that. We went on a fab Galapagos cruise. And some mid-week camping trips. Otherwise just loving life and feeling fantastic now!

Sounds great. Glad you're making the transition to your new life. Hope it will be smooth for me too.

I'm now getting to the point where I don't feel like I am not just 'off from work' and just enjoying the days.

Happy that you're enjoying it. I am too!
I'm at around the post 4.5 month mark and am enjoying myself. Similarly, the first month or so, it just felt like I was on vacation. By around the 3 month mark, work slowly faded from top of mind. Finally not having the Sunday night dreads or nor having feelings that I'm not being proactive enough on my projects. I don't miss work at all.

My only regrets are that I have not done any grand activities yet! But the day to day is still great.

Love it!! Yes half marathon training will be so much easier when not “crammed in” to a busy work schedule.

This is what it’s all about [emoji4]

Love it!! Yes half marathon training will be so much easier when not “crammed in” to a busy work schedule.

This is what it’s all about [emoji4]
Absolutely! I stopped doing races because it was too difficult to find the training time. Then eventually stopped running altogether. Now, I'm enjoying my daily training and looking forward to race day!

getting closer sold the house last week , fully moved into my RV, paid off the RV.
Dec 31 will be my last day, will be on vacation from thanksgiving on

getting closer sold the house last week , fully moved into my RV, paid off the RV.
Dec 31 will be my last day, will be on vacation from thanksgiving on

Congrats. Thanksgiving is coming fast. I can't believe it's past Labour Day already.

I like the concept of an RV but I can't see myself driving one or a trailer. However, we were at the local fair last week and poked our heads in a few trailers at a display and the missus was quite impressed. :LOL:

….and done!! [emoji736]

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 21 2022 - FIRE'd
tmitchell - Jan 24 2022
Present Aside - Feb 2, 2022 - FIRE’d
Leonardo - Feb 2022
Escapevelocity - Feb 2022
kaudrey - 25 Feb 2022. - FIRE’d
OnTheBeach - 28 Feb 2022
Romer- Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Travis Bickle - March 2022
My Next Chapter - April 1, 2022 - FIRE'd
Pompanobeach - April 2022
fassmac - April 2022
Goingcamping - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
YVRRocketSurgery - 15 April 2022 - FIRE'd
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
David3 - May 2022 - FIRE'd
Monterey298sc - May 31, 2022
Panda Bear - June 1, 2022 - FIRE'd
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
retire48in2018 - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
Sean Pizzle - FIRE'd
Mrs & Mr Bustergordon - 30 June
BobMW - 1 July 2022
Obj 2022 - July 7, 2022
Silent Walker - July 2022
WhiskyDave July, 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
Unpaintedhuffhines - September 2022
DD4L - September 2022 - FIRE’d
Dean56 - September 2022
firemediceric - October 2022
ecowtent-November 2022
mountainsoft - December 2022
ExPatKiwi - December 2022
mmurphy111 - December 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Dreams of Freedom - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - Sept 2022
cyber888 - December 2022
Aiming_4_55 - XX 2022

Last edited:
Well, I finally FIRE'd last Friday 9/9/22 at age 60.

roady-runner - Jan 2022
dadu007- - Jan 2022
oldmedic - Jan 2022
caninelover - Jan 21 2022 - FIRE'd
tmitchell - Jan 24 2022
Present Aside - Feb 2, 2022 - FIRE’d
Leonardo - Feb 2022
Escapevelocity - Feb 2022
kaudrey - 25 Feb 2022. - FIRE’d
OnTheBeach - 28 Feb 2022
Romer- Feb 2022
Ozinvestor - March 2022
Travis Bickle - March 2022
My Next Chapter - April 1, 2022 - FIRE'd
Pompanobeach - April 2022
fassmac - April 2022
Goingcamping - April 2022
ejw93 - April 2022
YVRRocketSurgery - 15 April 2022 - FIRE'd
GTP2022 - May 2022
Jim59 - 6 May 2022
David3 - May 2022 - FIRE'd
Monterey298sc - May 31, 2022
Panda Bear - June 1, 2022 - FIRE'd
nhcycling - June 2022
plex - June 2022
beernutzbob - June 2022
retire48in2018 - June 2022
Physics Guy - June 2022
Poopycat - June 2022
ImThinkin2019 June 2022
Sean Pizzle - FIRE'd
Mrs & Mr Bustergordon - 30 June
BobMW - 1 July 2022
Obj 2022 - July 7, 2022
Silent Walker - July 2022
WhiskyDave July, 2022
CaliKid - September 2022
BGH1 - September 2022
Unpaintedhuffhines - September 2022
DD4L - September 2022 - FIRE’d
Dean56 - September 2022 - FIRE'd
firemediceric - October 2022
ecowtent-November 2022
mountainsoft - December 2022
ExPatKiwi - December 2022
mmurphy111 - December 2022
Sam Cro - XX 2022
Dreams of Freedom - XX 2022
Callitaday - XX 2022
dd564 - XX 2022
Chris Texas - XX 2022
Bee4 - Sept 2022
cyber888 - December 2022
Aiming_4_55 - XX 2022

I just pulled the trigger and gave my 2 weeks notice to my boss. All of my concern over his reaction was for naught - he was happy for me and only slightly pushed for a 30 day extension to my 2 week notice, which I politely declined. Excited for the next chapter and honestly a bit nervous as well. Thanks for all of the encouraging words from folks on this forum - it really makes a difference.

Happy for all you September retirees. I still remember my first day of retirement what I did. I felt like a King on the mountain with not a worry in the world.

I just pulled the trigger and gave my 2 weeks notice to my boss. All of my concern over his reaction was for naught - he was happy for me and only slightly pushed for a 30 day extension to my 2 week notice, which I politely declined. Excited for the next chapter and honestly a bit nervous as well. Thanks for all of the encouraging words from folks on this forum - it really makes a difference.

That’s excellent!! Well done!!

Just received my final W2 paycheck so that’s it, on my own from here!!

Happy days [emoji4]

Last edited:
Thanks!! [emoji4]

Nicely settled in after one week. Just watched a beautiful sunset and work feels like a million miles away in the distant past, baseline stress knots in the abdomen I was carrying are gone too.

Congrats to Dean56!!!

Congrats to you too DD4L

Let that stress just drift away.

Big milestone! It's such a great relief to finally to show your cards isn't it? :) Glad it went well.

Back
Top Bottom