Class of 2022

My problem is that it's not black and white.
I like a lot of aspects of my job but there are parts that drive me insane. I work on multiple initiatives and projects at the same time. If it's a good team and it's a well thought out initiative, then I'm usually in a happy place. However, sometimes I get dropped into pretty impossible situations and have to deal with people/resourcing conflicts, funding issues, ridiculous timelines, etc. That's when I'm constantly thinking about solutions during the offhours and I get pretty stressed out.

I was humming along for about a year and a half on this great project and then had two other projects added to my plate that have been sucking the life out of me for the last 5 months.

Ya, that's sort of sucky. It lulls you to sleep when things are good and then wham-o hits you hard when it's bad. Mine is more consistently marginal with doses of horrible mixed in. Except on quarterly bonus day things usually seem great that day. I feel I could work forever those 4 days a year. Ha, ha!

I booted myself from the Class of 2019. Before 55, so OMYing! I'm still enjoying most of the w*rk and learning new technology, so I'm weird.

My OMYing is based on a few $$ milestones, several big (to me) $$ incentives, so it's a game to get more fun $$ with kids in grade school still.

From Dec 2019... countdown milestones:
4 months away - Mar 2020 Bonus and RSU vesting
5 months more - Aug 2020 eight week paid sabbatical and RSU vesting
7 months more - Mar 2021 Bonus and RSU vesting
5 months more - Aug 2021 RSU vesting
7 months more - Mar 2022 Bonus and RSU vesting

So, Mar 2022 might be FIRE as the next milestone would be 12 full months away, Mar 2023, too long to wait. It would still be before my 53rd birthday, so I'm content for now. If the BS bucket overflows, then I can be done sooner.

Howdy all!

Last edited:
I booted myself from the Class of 2019. Before 55, so OMYing! I'm still enjoying most of the w*rk and learning new technology, so I'm weird.

My OMYing is based on a few $$ milestones, several big (to me) $$ incentives, so it's a game to get more fun $$ with kids in grade school still.

From Dec 2019... countdown milestones:
4 months away - Mar 2020 Bonus and RSU vesting
5 months more - Aug 2020 eight week paid sabbatical and RSU vesting
7 months more - Mar 2021 Bonus and RSU vesting
5 months more - Aug 2021 RSU vesting
7 months more - Mar 2022 Bonus and RSU vesting

So, Mar 2022 might be FIRE as the next milestone would be 12 full months away, Mar 2023, too long to wait. It would still be before my 53rd birthday, so I'm content for now. If the BS bucket overflows, then I can be done sooner.

Howdy all!

Well, welcome to the class of '22! We are happy to have you. My work has been sucky sucky lately so I might move up to 2019 myself! Lol. I'll keep holding on but dealing with crazy California employee v. employer laws and as one of the owners I am on the losing end. Truly amazing but I won't get into it here. Instead of one more year I am currently in the one more day club. Lol. Day to day but still planning on '22 as the finale!

Well, welcome to the class of '22! We are happy to have you. My work has been sucky sucky lately so I might move up to 2019 myself! Lol. I'll keep holding on but dealing with crazy California employee v. employer laws and as one of the owners I am on the losing end. Truly amazing but I won't get into it here. Instead of one more year I am currently in the one more day club. Lol. Day to day but still planning on '22 as the finale!

Thanks CaliKid for the welcome. I thought I saw you in the Class of 2019 saying you had enough. Being FI allows us to walk away. Sucky sucky is not good, hopefully during the holiday you will take an extended break!

I won't lie, I have a few days here and there asking myself, what am I doing here. Besides the $$ aspects, I'm wondering what I want to do next with younger kids, it's not like I can travel extensively. One day between now and Mar 2022, I might just walk away but I will consider the milestone dates.

Welcome Aiming.

It really shouldn't be a surprise but I still get a kick from some many themes being so common.
I've frequently thought about OMY too. The thought of using that extra year purely for fun money is really appealing. But as you also mention, I'm not sure how much more my BS bucket can handle. Normally, I enjoy most aspect of my job but the last number of months have been painful. Things typically start slowing down in December but this year it's been a gong show for various ridiculous reasons. With the front end of 2022 rounding into being only 2 years away I would so consider getting packaged out.

Thanks YVR for the welcome. Extra fun money or acts of kindness appeal to me. I'm not comfortable doing kind acts in public, but every so often, I read an article where someone made someone's day by picking up the bill for a meal or sponsoring an event for local kids, etc. during non-holiday time would be nice.

I doubt I would ever get offered a package, but I would love to be packaged out or company change of ownership would be great for RSUs.

Looking forward to counting down the months and days. Cheers!

Someday's days I think if work wasn't so sucky sucky I'd work for many more years.

It's been a while since I posted in this thread.

My job changes from highly flexible, highly rewarding to high-stresses, almost can't do it anymore.
Part of this is from my own work anxiety. By all practical measures my job is really good but there is a level of anxiety I have that makes some days really hard to deal with.

My end of 2022 date might be a bit optimistic now with some college goals for the kids, but I'm going to do my best to plan to it.

Two years until 2022! Closer to party time! Even I make it to later in 2022 as planned I like the idea of being in THE year of the end. Counting down....

Two years until 2022! Closer to party time! Even I make it to later in 2022 as planned I like the idea of being in THE year of the end. Counting down....

Yes, 2 years! 24 to 35 months max! LoL I'm not looking at # of days as it seem longer, but it's all the same.

I'm still struggling with the right AA with rentals. Also, not feeling good with healthcare options and cost even tho that's part of the freedom. Even considered part time work with benefits, but the hourly rate isn't worth putting up with a schedule.

Are you staying in CA or considering a relocation once you ER? I'm playing with the idea of Austin, Texas, to be closer to family.

Last edited:
Yes, 2 years! 24 to 35 months max! LoL I'm not looking at # of days as it seem longer, but it's all the same.

I'm still struggling with the right AA with rentals. Also, not feeling good with healthcare options and cost even tho that's part of the freedom. Even considered part time work with benefits, but the hourly rate isn't worth putting up with a schedule.

Are you staying in CA or considering a relocation once you ER? I'm playing with the idea of Austin, Texas, to be closer to family.

I am in the same boat. Actually pretty happy with our rentals for now but already seeing that I will tire of them even though I just manage the managers.

As for health care 100% in the same boat. Sure I like making an income but the thought of coming out of pocket for health care is irksome. However, am hoping to fully retire. We shall see.

I would like to leave California. I am not unhappy here. I just want to live somewhere new, meet some new people, experience some new things, and travel a lot from a state with no tax. :) I would say Vegas or Nashville are at the top of the list right now. However, have some friends in the Hill Country, Dallas and Houston so Texas is a possibility too. Long shot would be Orlando. It's fun looking!

Two years is still seems like forever to me.
It'll probably get a little more exciting for me next January since I've planned trips/events a year and half out and time flies getting ready for departure date.

I am with you guys 2yrs seems a long time away, but we have a couple of milestones (daughter marriage, son graduate college, move to retirement house in FL) in between to make the time go faster.

It's now official (sort of) - I will be Class of 2022 :dance:

Specifically, Feb-Mar 2022. Our bonuses are paid in December, and we get a payment into our retirement plans at the end of January. I will give notice after that for a month or two to wind things down/transition.

I am still sort of stunned that all these years of planning are now coming to fruition.

I feel like 2 years is so close, but yet so far away.

My numbers currently are ~$1.5 M, not including the house ($450K mortgage left, fixed at 3.5%, worth about $650K). My partner currently has ~$1 M, so $2.5 M combined. My share of non-mortgage expenses, including allowance for health care and travel, is about $45K/yr. Mortgage adds another $25K/yr so $70K total. It doesn't seem like those numbers should work, but they do.

Firecalc shows 99% success with retiring in 2022, Fidelity score is 104, and Vanguard has me at 90% success out to age 100.

So - that is my new target date, and it will be just before my 50th birthday!

It's now official (sort of) - I will be Class of 2022 :dance:

Congrats!
Kind of jealous because my date in 2022 is going to be just after my 50th in 2021 and it'd be kind of cool to say I retired before 50 like you'll be able to. Oh well, just timing of things.

Anyone else taking a positive out of the current situation in that we likely don't have to enter retirement in 2022 looking over our shoulders asking when the eventual bear market was going to hit after a record bull? Hopefully 2021 will work into a big recovery year and we'll be exiting the bear market with a strong start of another long bull run at the start of our retirements?

Anyone else taking a positive out of the current situation in that we likely don't have to enter retirement in 2022 looking over our shoulders asking when the eventual bear market was going to hit after a record bull? Hopefully 2021 will work into a big recovery year and we'll be exiting the bear market with a strong start of another long bull run at the start of our retirements?

Yes actually. I like your thinking. The reality is things can't go straight up forever. A bad year now and then hopefully improvement in 2021-->>.

Also, for me, I am having an extremely down year at work. The Coronavirus being one of the causes but not the only. It allows me to test living on savings a couple years ahead of time. Tightening the belt a little bit and all that.

Hopefully things stay on track for '22!

October 2022 is the earliest I can leave my job without penalty. At that time I'll be getting 85% of my salary. With some other retirement incentives, I'll be at about 90% from the employer. I'm counting down the days. I know the golden handcuffs will be tough to resist at that point as rather than leaving I could go into DROP.

The guys who have done the full 5 years of DROP have left with close to $500,000 in their DROP accounts. That money is nice, but I don't want to put in the extra time. I try to rationalize "How long do I want to work for money I won't need?" I say that because I don't know of any of the retirees who have really needed that money.

Yes, despite the havoc in my accounts I feel this way too. A bear market was coming and I rather weather through it while employed than in the first year of ER. I also hope 2021 will be a strong year and my plans don't need to change.

My wife and I will be retiring in 2022 so sign us up!! I have a countdown, 2 years, 4 months, 1 week, 0 days, so Sept 2022. I’m thinking the lockdown may get us underneath the 2 year mark, I am trying to maintain patience.....

IMG_5796.JPG

My wife and I are in, sept 2022 is our date, and the countdown is on! Looking forward to sharing more details as we move forward.

Anyone else taking a positive out of the current situation in that we likely don't have to enter retirement in 2022 looking over our shoulders asking when the eventual bear market was going to hit after a record bull?

We aren't planning to retire till Oct 2023, but yes, I'm kind of relieved this downturn is occurring now before we retire. Hopefully things will recover by the time we actually pull the plug on our work lives.

I am dropping out of Class of 2020 and enrolling here. Various financial carrots from working past the megacorp official early retirement criteria started looking just too attractive to pass during these uncertain times. Official retirement day 7/1/2022. Less than two years now. Some ways seems so close yet so far...

I am dropping out of Class of 2020 and enrolling here. Various financial carrots from working past the megacorp official early retirement criteria started looking just too attractive to pass during these uncertain times. Official retirement day 7/1/2022. Less than two years now. Some ways seems so close yet so far...

Welcome! I am still planning on 2022 but definitely considering '23 or '24. It depends on how my remote job goes.

I’m hoping for July 2022. It was going to be November 2020 but the pandemic struck and my company let me go in April. With the markets being unsteady and me feeling like I hadn’t fully planned out post-retirement life, I didn’t feel totally comfortable with the idea of retiring early right now. I also just turned 50 this year, and would need ACA or to live in a state that guarantees those with pre-existing conditions the ability to purchase health insurance. Given all the uncertainty with the economy, health care, and the pandemic, I accepted a new job that required me to relocate. I need to stay 2 years or else I have to pay back the relocation (or pay back half if I leave after 12 months). So I’m aiming for 2022.

It’s early days, but I think I made the right decision to keep working for a couple more years. It feels good to have money come into my bank account instead of always seeing it leave my bank account! I’m not making as much as I was, but I’m still doing well, and the health insurance benefits are excellent. I have liked the job and the boss so far. And I’ve really enjoyed the stress-free living that comes with an apartment! It has been a nice change. I’m actually enjoying the new city more than I expected to; there are lots of walking trails and I’ve found some outdoor tennis opportunities. Unfortunately, I have also found some good takeout restaurants. But I’m doing my best to eat healthy and exercise so I keep off the hundred+ lbs I’ve lost.

I plan to honor my relocation agreement and then head to my final retirement state after I resign in July 2022. In the mean time, I can watch what happens with the ever-changing political and economic landscape, and by 2022 we should know what happens with the ACA and any state impacts should it be struck down. That information will be useful when it’s time to find my early retirement state.

My BIL was looking to retire this year too but he's now hoping to push it out to 2021 or 2022 unless they cut him loose earlier. His financial are good. It's more around the uncertainty of really being able to enjoy retirement during all the effects of the pandemic.

I'm still targeting 2022 unless my megacorp offers me some ridiculous incentives to stay a year or two longer (unlikely!) or some key characteristics of my portfolio goes to heck; mainly the dividends being produced from my taxable account. The dividend half of my portfolio is still looking solid without any major suspension or cuts so my finger are crossed. But it'd be nice to see strength in the world economies as we put the pandemic behind us and feel some confidence from the ETF index side of my portfolio when we head into late 2021 and into 2022.

Back
Top Bottom