Close Call with W*RK

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This weekend will be my six month anniversary of FIRE. For the past two weeks I have been working at my neighbor's machine shop to help him out while he recovers from rotator cuff surgery. It has been quite the experience since I had never seen a CNC machine.

It has been interesting and I learned to run the CNC machine, a drilling machine, band saw and two grinding machines. I also got exposed to the "indicator" and got to practice using a digital caliper and micrometer.

Things were going well and I was within half an hour of completing my assignment without destroying any in process parts. Then, while doing what should have been just putting the finishing touch grind on the tip of the parts, I tilted one and probably ruined it. So much for my perfect track record.

The night before I started, my neighbor told me that he would "put me on the payroll" and pay me $15 per hour. That is probably more than I am worth in the machine shop, but at my old j*b I would have made more in the first hour of drinking coffee and deleting spam emails that I would make in the entire day at the shop. Adding in travel expenses and increased taxes later in life due to missed ROTH conversions, I would probably be losing money.

Fortunately I had the sense to explain to him after the first day or two, that I find it interesting to learn the machines, but that I am only doing this to help him and I never expected him to be paying me. I think he took it well and tomorrow will probably be my last day since there are no other orders being delayed. His wife retires tomorrow and she can start driving him to the shop for the next couple of weeks instead of me.

So, it looks like I have dodged the bullet about being sucked back into the workforce and have come out of the experience with all of my fingers still attached. I did, however, manage to whack myself in the chin with a wrench. But, at least, I did not take out a tooth.

Having to wake up at 5:30 am and be somewhere every morning was quite the shock to the system after six months of being retired. I also found that even though I was working only four hours a day, it was enough to tip me over the edge with regard to letting the clutter accumulate around the house.

Like they say, "work - a nice place to visit, but I would not like to live there."

Not knocking a tooth out when you whacked your chin, and not succumbing to the job offer - - sounds better than it could have been. Plus, you got to play with some equipment and help out a friend.

I don't like retirement days when I have to get up early, but it does happen sometimes. Most of the time, the rest of the world is already working before I get up. :D

This weekend will be my six month anniversary of FIRE. For the past two weeks I have been working at my neighbor's machine shop to help him out while he recovers from rotator cuff surgery. It has been quite the experience since I had never seen a CNC machine.

It has been interesting and I learned to run the CNC machine, a drilling machine, band saw and two grinding machines. I also got exposed to the "indicator" and got to practice using a digital caliper and micrometer.

Things were going well and I was within half an hour of completing my assignment without destroying any in process parts. Then, while doing what should have been just putting the finishing touch grind on the tip of the parts, I tilted one and probably ruined it. So much for my perfect track record.

Like they say, "work - a nice place to visit, but I would not like to live there."

Great escape. There's a lesson there I was taught a long time ago.

Occasionally we would receive monster logs that were too big for a 6' band mill. The producer was responsible for helping to split the log by first cutting through the log totally lengthwise the depth of their chainsaw. One fellow always declined and his boss ran the saw, not a fast job, really a big PIA. I asked why he didn't do the cutting. He laughed and said how the first time he was told to do the cutting he'd intentionally butchered the job. Never asked him again.;)

That was a close call, you might have gotten sucked back into the w*rkplace! I have been invited to have lunch with people in the large city near where I live and just having to be somewhere at a certain time and to have to face commuter traffic feels a lot like w*rk. I almost get the shakes when doing it!

Like a dear friend says when someone offers to pay him for his help- "you can't afford me".

If there were any work that I would do after retirement (retired over 1 year now), I would work in a machine shop, preferably with conventional, not CNC, machinery. I enjoy metal working. In fact, if I had my career to do over again, I would have been a machinist.

I ran into a guy at the gym the other day whom I hadn't seen there in a while (an old fart like myself). I'd heard he'd gone back to work and he confirmed that he had. Our conversation went like this:

Me: Are you working pt or ft?
Him: I started part time but the needed me more so I finally went ft.
Me: Do you have to go into Boston every day?
Him: No, it's suburban. There were two things I wouldn't do. Go into Boston or sit at a computer all day.
Me: Do you like it better than being retired?
Him: Yeah; I do.
Me: Well, good for you and thank you for continuing to pay into SS to support us retired folks.

The key here is that he would rather be working. That's where he and I differ.

Back
Top Bottom