CNN "Fear & Greed Index"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, the gadget is clearly the product of someone trying to create today's click bait. The fact that its underlying indicators are equally weighted is prima facie evidence that no covariance analysis has been done. A serious effort would undoubtedly result in unequal weightings, but even that begs the question: What historical data could be used to validate the "measurement?" "too bulliish," "too bearish" -- How do you validate that, not to mention validating their claim that you can profit by "taking the other side?"

But, hey, the real objective is to attract eyeballs. That's apparently working for them.

+1

An index created purely to have something to report on in a "dramatic" way. :)

Yes, momentum is bullish, which they say is greedy. :)

To be fair, they do not claim this is a buy/sell signal, but greed/fear. You have to decide to go with the flow, or to be a contrarian.

Yes noticed that. Maybe another way to say it is it is not particular useful to stock investors. But I guess if it induces hand-wringing and fear that could be something of a benefit.

;)

Many decades ago I subscribed to this timeless advice:

"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."

I still think that's an excellent philosophy.

Throw the book out the window because stimulus makes new rules.

<mod note>

Multiple posts have been removed. They were all media bashing and unrelated to the thread topic. This constant sniping at media, usually unrelated to the thread topic, does a double disservice to our community. It interferes with thoughtful discussions and brings incivility into otherwise polite exchange.

<mod note>

Multiple posts have been removed. They were all media bashing and unrelated to the thread topic. This constant sniping at media, usually unrelated to the thread topic, does a double disservice to our community. It interferes with thoughtful discussions and brings incivility into otherwise polite exchange.

:D :LOL: :LOL::facepalm:

Heh heh heh - I don't know what to say. It snowed today so I'm inside posting. :greetings10:

This morning the meter is at 80. That's the highest that I've seen since following it. Maybe "something" is getting ready to happen?

Eh people, do not take a peek now, ;) but that meter is now way below 80, a high "Greed" level.

All that in 2 days of trade. :)

Buy, buy, buy... :dance:

NOOOO...

SELL, SELL, SELL... :sick:

Last edited:
What ya know, this index has moved from slight Fear to Greed at this moment. :)

I own a variety of stocks (about 90) in different sectors. Every day, just looking across my portfolio, I get a feel of the Greed/Fear level without the above index.

On a normal day, some positions are red, and some are green. Some days, nearly everything I own is in the red. Big Fear. Sell, sell, sell... On some days, nearly everything I own is green. Like today. Buy, buy, buy...

I am used to Greed and Fear. If the market is greedy a few days in a row, I start to sell covered-call options. If the market is fearful a few days in a row, I start to sell cash-covered put options.

I can handle both Greed and Fear, but I will readily admit that I much prefer Greed to Fear. It's more fun that way. I would rather sell calls than puts. :)

Last edited:
Eh, it's been 3 weeks already since my last post on this thread. Perhaps people other than the OP have forgotten, but I have not.

What do you know, this arguably dubious index is now at 37, in the Fear Zone.

I just moved about 1/3 of 1% of portfolio into stocks. It's peanuts, I know, but only so that I could claim later that I did buy when others were fearful. :)

Last edited:
:D. Football season is not yet here. Soooo - I may have to add to my 'few good stocks' collection.

Heh heh heh - I still maintain it's a guy thing. Or as Willie Nelson says - 'Not Dead Yet'. :rolleyes: :greetings10:

Eh, it's been 3 weeks already since my last post on this thread. Perhaps people other than the OP have forgotten, but I have not.

What do you know, this arguably dubious index is now at 37, in the Fear Zone.

I just moved about 1/3 of 1% of portfolio into stocks. It's peanuts, I know, but only so that I could claim later that I did buy when others were fearful. :)

When there's blood - well, maybe plasma, in the street... etc. and YMMV.

“And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful.” — Warren Buffett

Well, when other people are fearful, I always want to buy. The problem is their fear sometimes seem unbounded, while my cash is not unlimited.

And when they are greedy and bid stocks up to crazy values, I often do not have the same vaporware stocks to sell, and you know it's not wise to sell short.

"The markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.” -- John Maynard Keynes

Last edited:
According to the meter, there's a lot of fear at the moment.

I'm not afraid.

According to the meter, there's a lot of fear at the moment.

Thanks for reminding me to check. Sure enough, it's bad, but not as bad as it was earlier in June. I already bought some stocks lately and will wait before I buy some more.

I fear CNN.

the entire business model of many of these so called news outlets is fear and greed and racism..that is why their ratings are in the tank. But anyone who has paid tv ,cable dish is paying these newssites like cnn,cnbc,fox etc by proxy. By having paid tv these so called news outlets get paid whether anyone is watching or not. I have noticed that even at airports no one really watches cnn anyway..yet it is on every tv. cable news is the last place I would trust for investment advice.

Has it been back tested?

Looks like it's been around since before 2008. What I think they're saying is that the markets are getting worse from here, not better.

History shows that the fear and greed index has often been a reliable indicator of a turn in equity markets. According to Attic Capital, the index sank to a low of 12 on Sept. 17, 2008, when the S&P 500 fell to a three-year low in the aftermath of the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy and the near-demise of insurance giant AIG.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fear-and-greed-index.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom