collect unemployment????

Oh, if you want to go ahead as it is insurance that was paid for. BUT...it is a giant pain in the arse and taxable to boot. So again, avoid it if you can, if not get in line bud.

Outside of the job search requirement -which you'd be doing anyway- the application process each week consists of less than 5 minutes online; not what I'd consider a "giant pain".

And, in this state, the max benefit is $674 a week. (your weekly benefit is about half your pay but it's capped at $674). I wouldn't mind paying taxes on that amount of cash each week.

I'm looking at my part time work ending early 2015 as they have hired a full time person at my request. I need to train that person, but then will I be terminated or retire? How can I handle that to my benefit?

I'm looking at my part time work ending early 2015 as they have hired a full time person at my request. I need to train that person, but then will I be terminated or retire? How can I handle that to my benefit?

I'd guess that if they lay you off that'd be the best avenue to collect. YMMV

I got the "package" AND collected unemployment ... Here all you do is make a call once a week and answer 3 questions to an automated phone service.

Collected $651/wk (max paid) for 30 weeks. A no brainer really. Your employer paid into it ... guvmint administers it. One co-worker was called in to take "resume training". No pay if he didn't show. So he showed. I never had such a problem.

If your HR rep said you can ... you can.

+1 Even NC's newly crappy $350/wk max and only 20 week max equals $7000. You only owe state and fed tax, not payroll tax, so it's not quite like earning $7k from a job. I like free money, even if I have to pay tax on it (well, state tax, not fed tax since I figured out how to avoid that stuff! :) ).

My company essentially retired everyone 55 years old and older. I was offered a years' severance pay, 5 weeks vacation and a pay supplement until I could draw social security at age 62.

I was able to draw unemployment after the vacation pay for almost 2 years. It was great as I couldn't draw any 401K funds for a year after retirement at age 59 1/2.

Don't feel guilty about drawing unemployment. You paid into the program and you deserve it for putting up with all the corporate bs all those years.

Don't feel guilty about drawing unemployment. You paid into the program and you deserve it for putting up with all the corporate bs all those years.

Unemployment is for people who are actively looking for work. It's not a subsidy for ER.

For the record: I was eligible once, in 1995, but didn't bother to file since my job search got off to a very good start (and I did end up at a new job in 6 weeks). I just guessed, correctly, that I'd be out a short time and it wasn't worth the hassle.

When I ER'd, I pretty much fired myself because the boss was gutless, so I probably would not have been able to collect. It would have been fun to hit the company up for the money (since claims affect the premiums they pay), but it would have gone against my grain to pretend I was looking for work when I had no intention of working for a living again.

Personally, I view UI as another part of the safety net. It's for people who fall on hard times and need help. Not for those who are willing able to take care of themselves.

When I was laid off during the dot com bust, we had the means to take care of ourselves. I didn't apply for UI since I didn't feel I was "in need".

YMMV

I had various periods of unemployment, so I took the benefit. It was pretty pitiful and low even though I got the max rate.
I eagerly grabbed a job when available as it paid way way more. :flowers:

Could I have survived without it, yes !
But viewed it as a small way to even the books a little, as the politicians never ask me should they raise the taxes on something to pay for their spending they do to buy votes from some people.
I realized if I didn't claim what was my right to claim, they would just blow the money on other stuff, and would not give me a refund of unspent taxes for the year. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom