College advice please

ugeauxgirl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our 17 year old son is researching colleges this summer and would like to earn a degree in computer science/programming or something like that. We're having a lot of trouble figuring out which colleges are good at this- we're getting a lot of ads when we try to find info online. Does anyone know of a reputable source for this type of info?

Also in this field, does where you got your degree matter that much? Or since 80% of kids change their major at least once, should we just look for a good all-around school? He had a great ACT score and will probably get a substantial scholarship, so he'll need to stay at whatever school he chooses.

Thanks for the info!

I am an EE and I wish I enrolled in a college that is closer to the industry/companies in that field. Getting an internship/coop is so much easier with the local companies. Getting a job in the same company after internship/coop is a walk in the park since they know your work. IMHO college rankings don't matter for most jobs.

Where you get the college degree from and GPA will help get your foot in the door with the first job out of school. Beyond that, it likely won't provide more than recognition and a bit of a status symbol.

In computer science and programming, it comes down to how good you are and what you can do. If you can get an interview with Facebook or Google, ace it, and are willing to work your tail off, you're going to get big bucks regardless whether you did undergrad at MIT, or did it all on your own. If you're looking to work at some megacorp and go through their standard recruiting and interview process, then the MIT degree will certainly mean more as far as placement and a starting salary goes.

If your son is certain he wants to be in software development, then he should seek out a program which has a strong curriculum in the field. Going to a good all around school is not going to help him stand out on the programming front.

Be aware, many schools are no longer requiring SAT, ACT or any standardized tests, so although your son is certainly a strong candidate for whatever schools he applies to, the rules of the game have changed and there are no certainties.

In any case, longer term, where you did the degree means less and less.

I agree that a college's relationship with employers is very important. When it comes to employers in or around Alabama I am clueless. I would hate to pay out-of-state tuition but there may be interstate compacts that would cut your tuition costs.

If he could do well at the Georgia Institute of Technology even out-of-state tuition would be a good investment.

Last edited:
I would guess UAH (Huntsville) is probably a good option, due to all of the DoD activity nearby. The companies nearby and the government cannot get enough of the CS grads. In-state for you so the tuition should be reasonable. Lots of high tech jobs available in that area, and they need highly qualified people. Like Brat said, GT is very well regarded for that type of education as well.

Also in this field, does where you got your degree matter that much? Or since 80% of kids change their major at least once, should we just look for a good all-around school? He had a great ACT score and will probably get a substantial scholarship, so he'll need to stay at whatever school he chooses.

Thanks for the info!

If you are hard working, talented and creative, you can prove your way into a very high paying job no matter where, or if, you went to school. But you’ll spend a decade proving your worth. If you want an interesting role at an innovative, prestigious company, earning an extremely outsized income, relatively quickly, having a top tier university (eg, Stanford) on your resume is nearly a requirement.

Source: I hired out of Stanford. Not every hire was great, but those that weren’t still ended up in high paying jobs at well known companies even after we let them go. Your son might be a genius, but having a “name” college on his resume is form of insurance if he isn’t, he’ll always get an interview.

Thanks for the info. He was very interested in what y'all had to say. UAH in Huntsville was already on our list, but based on your advice, we'll move that one up a notch. Georgia Tech sounds good too. Appreciate it!

My kids are now well into their careers. Both scored just under perfect on their SAT. One a great student in terms of grades, one terrible. DS lasted 2 years at a university known for its computer science programs. When his current company opened an office in the town he was living, at the time, he applied for a job and has worked for them for about 15 years. They were not as well known then but he knew them from his CS experience. You likely use their services everyday. They have had some programs where they were requiring he finish his degree but that faded away. As far as I can tell, he has not been penalized for his lack of a degree but there may be positions he would not qualify. Having said that, you could not tell from the value of his house or quality of his vacations that he is being penalized.

DD graduated with an African Studies degree from one of the best public universities in the southeast. While trying to figure out what she wanted to do bouncing around a few jobs, she saved money by attending community college to complete some more advance science courses at a lower cost than the university where she received her advance degree. She now is an RN, Masters degree.

You never know where they will end up and the road to get there may not be straight. My suggestion is to not overpay for school.

Last edited:
Computer Science Rankings

In 2018, U.S. News and World Report had an article that allows one to drill down based on speciality fields, locations, etc. Their company has been around a long time. I think they are reputable.

Nice find. I think that is a ranking of the best computer science colleges with an emphasis on advanced degrees.

The link below is a rating for best undergraduate schools and has some interactive sliders to custom tailor your search.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/computer-science-overall

ugeauxgirl is right about students changing their majors. When he was 17 my youngest son was gung-ho about getting a degree in computer science. Despite getting A's in advanced placement calculus and physics classes in high school, university level calculus is a different animal. Now he's a technical writing major with a minor in statistics that is graduating a semester early this December.

I would apply to a bunch of schools including private and public, in-state and out of state, high level and lower level. We were amazed by the sheer variety of scholarship offers that didn't at all line up or make total sense. For our child going out of state, to a mid-level state University, and going into their honors program was a better choice than in-state higher level school due to the combination of cost (100% free tuition due to scholarship), location (proximity to big city jobs), program and the honors college being a small college within a larger university.

Stanford and UC (Berkeley). Summer internship makes a difference. If he's in/adjacent to Silicon Valley and if a good student, then it'll be easy to find that internship when he goes searching for it.

If those aren't on your list, then just think about what/how he'll get an internship in his field when the time comes.

My son studied Computer Science at Oregon State University. OSU had a work/study program and relationships with employers, so CS students as part of the program would work at employers at certain intervals in the degree schedule. Many students would go on to get job offers from those employers after they completed their degree work. This coop program was specifdically for the STEM type degrees.

Check with your state university system, or any college for that matter, to see if work/study or coop program for STEM degrees are available.

Changes

Things are changing in how many megacorps think about recruiting in a time when most are pressured to increase diversity.

It used to be a degree from a big-name university would get you in the door but its not the case anymore. Same with things like 'this position requires x years of experience'. Those types of arbitrary requirements have little direct correlation to how candidates perform in roles but they do add additional barriers in recruiting women and minority candidates and therefore many megacorps (including mine) are eliminating them entirely.

Also, HR is pushing back on even posting 'college degree required' unless it is a very technical field and are preferring to add 'or equivalent experience' to most postings that would have absolutely required a degree even a few years ago.

So I agree with others to not overspend. If your child can get a substantial award then I would focus on schools that have programs of interest that won't require additional or much out-of-pocket.

I am an EE and I wish I enrolled in a college that is closer to the industry/companies in that field. Getting an internship/coop is so much easier with the local companies. Getting a job in the same company after internship/coop is a walk in the park since they know your work. IMHO college rankings don't matter for most jobs.

As a hiring manager in IT for many years I could not agree more.

There are other just as important factors. The ability to function in a team, the willingness to learn and to commit to career long learning, adaptiveness, not to mention the ability/willingness to work hard and SMART.

Your alma mater may get you to the first interview. It in itself will not secure the position. When reviewing CV's, edu institution was not a deciding factor assuming it was a reputable institution. Internships are a huge plus....especially when those internships extend over two separate engagements with the same firm.

Last edited:
OP, if your son goes a few years, but drops out and starts building "the best thing since sliced bread" in your garage and starts his own company, could you please let us know. Thanks!

Retired programmer/development manager, I hired a lot a developers. I really didn't care about where the degree was from. I was in KC and we hired many entry-level programmers from a local state college. We knew their program and would offer internships for promising candidates.

A buddies kid just graduated from a masters program and started over 100k out of school.

Our 17 year old son is researching colleges this summer and would like to earn a degree in computer science/programming or something like that. We're having a lot of trouble figuring out which colleges are good at this- we're getting a lot of ads when we try to find info online. Does anyone know of a reputable source for this type of info?

Thanks for the info!

Good general advice here. But note that none of us knows what industry conditions will be like 4+ years from now.

The school you go to may have instructors who can help stir you in the right direction ... or not. And what is the right direction for a happy fulfilling life? :)

If your son is thinking about advanced Masters or PhD, then the undergrad matters less, except for admission to the graduate level school. I think almost any computer science BS or higher degree is going to be in demand and is a great choice for your son and way to start on his career.

I agree that a school having a location and good working relationship with the companies around the area is beneficial. Co-op plans are a great way to get in the door, but even summer jobs are a big help.

Good luck on the scholarship process, hope your son can get a nice offer.

Thanks for the info!

My undergrad degree is a BS in Computer Science with a minor in Math from an out of state private liberal arts university. I also have an MBA from an in-state public university. I worked in firmware development and related areas at two different Fortune 500 tech companies as well as some smaller firms over about 20 years. I also spent the last five years of my career in first level management, and was involved in hiring decisions for engineers and first level managers throughout that period.

I also have three adult offspring. The eldest just finished his degree in Supply Chain and IT Management and is working for a tech company in their operations area. The other two are sophomores, one seeking a mechE degree and the other a musicEd degree. All three have earned scholarships, varying from about 1/3 of the cost to more than full ride.

For a reputable source to search for schools, we used Big Future, which is managed by the College Board, which are the same people who manage the SAT. I thought it was excellent and unbiased and also allowed us to do searches for schools based on the criteria we were interested in. Here's a link to their search page: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-search

There are others of course. We also used collegefactual a bit to look at freshman retention and 6 year graduation rates. https://www.collegefactual.com/

Since there are thousands of colleges in the US (and more overseas) and your son can only go to one of them, my thought was that one could be fairly specific about a lot of other variables that might be important - cost, distance from home, number of students, other majors, etc. We chose not to eliminate on cost at first because we thought that the sticker prices listed were not necessarily reflective of the price we would pay. More on this in a bit.

In the case of my middle son (the mechE sophomore), he wanted to get a degree in MechE, EE, or nuclear, and he had thoughts of business. He also wanted a small school, which it turns out is a pretty limiting factor...plugging those things into BigFuture, our list was only about 13 schools that met all the criteria. We visited seven, he applied to three, and got into one, which is where he now attends.

People will differ on how much the school name matters. One of the filtering steps for my son when there were too many choices, was he asked me to look at the schools from a hiring perspective and rule out those schools that didn't seem to be of good quality. So I did that, and ruled out about half of the remaining list. One school that appeared good on paper made it into our list of seven to visit, but it was obviously not to the level he wanted so it got ruled out.

The other thing I'll say about that is it might be good for your son to at least have some ideas about where he wants to end up after he graduates. There are national "big name" schools like Stanford and MIT where the graduate can go anywhere, but then there are also good regional schools where a graduate can do just as well within the region. Texas A&M is well respected in Texas and nearby, but not as well known in, say, Minnesota. Your son might not know this very precisely, but he may have inklings which are worth putting on the table. He might also have specific industry preferences which might guide him - if he wants to work at SpaceX, maybe go to a nearby school to one of their sites and aim for an internship. If he wants to work in the auto industry, then maybe a school in the upper midwest like Rose Hulman. An even third tier school is a place which might only have reach within the state, like NNU, which is a decent school near me that probably nobody on this thread knows about, but their graduates do well within 30 miles of the school.

I'd encourage you to ask your son what secondary or tertiary degree plans he might have, and add that to your search list in BigFuture. As I mentioned, my son also has an interest in business, and the school he ended up at has a good business school in addition to being good at mechE. There's a small chance he'll switch to business if he doesn't make it in his first choice program.

Based on my experience with my eldest, who changed majors three or four times, I started having more career oriented discussions with my younger two. It's really a process of exploration and thought and discussion and it takes time, but I think my two younger ones are going to be well served by talking about and exploring and mulling over those thoughts in high school rather than their first two years of college. Others can disagree with this approach, but for me, who is interested in having my kids economically launched into good solid careers more than any esoteric "college experience" or "changing lives" - although that stuff would be nice - it has worked very well.

So if you can, start looking at careers with your son. What's important to him? Living near family? Working in a big city? Dealing with people? Making a lot of money? Working indoors? Brainstorm career possibilities, do research on them, then winnow them down to a manageable list. That list can then also help figure out which schools to visit and apply to. For this aspect I like the government's occupational outlook handbook (https://www.bls.gov/ooh/)

As far as great ACT scores and scholarships. I would strongly encourage you and your son to look at the 25% and 75% ACT score ranges for schools that he may choose to apply to - you can just google the school name and ACT range and get this info in 2 seconds. If he's at the 25% or below for a school, they're not going to give him a scholarship - he's pulling down their average. Think of a place like Harvey Mudd. If he's at the 75% or thereabouts, he's raising their average and has a good chance at scholarships from the school.

It's also possible to get outside scholarships, but those are either much more competitive (like the Coke ones), or small dollar (like the left-handed Irish scholarship for technical writing). They're also a lot more effort. But somebody gets those every year, might be your son.

It's good to put the effort in now, as you seem to understand. From what I can find out, scholarships are most easily awarded freshman year and for students who stay. Transfer students seem to get the shaft AFAIK. Also, at least in my state there are a number of scholarships and programs for students who stay in state and go to public universities, so if cost is a big concern, you might look at those.

That brings up one other thing...to whatever degree you plan to help, make sure he understands "the deal". It is cruel, I think, for a parent to let a kid apply to an expensive out of state private school, and then wait until the kid gets accepted and decides to go to tell them that it's unaffordable. It's better to be up front and crystal clear at the earliest reasonable point of discussion to say "You're getting $5K a year from us and the rest is on you" or whatever. The kid will be able to adjust.

Oh, one more. If you can visit his top several schools, being at the school in person for as long as possible is a great way to assess the school. It also demonstrates interest to the school and some note it as a favorable factor in admissions. If a school is too far away to be practicable to visit, he can apply blind and then visit if he's accepted. Some schools also have summer programs which are engineering camps for rising high school seniors, so you might be a bit late for those but it may still be possible to do if you hurry (see Project Catapult at Rose Hulman for example).

Good luck.

Last edited:
Co-op plans are a great way to get in the door, but even summer jobs are a big help.

I went to Northeastern, in Boston, on a Co-op plan (class of 1978), and I am a big proponent. It paid my tuition, and I had a firm offer in hand on graduation. I took a different path, but they gladly left the door open.

Not sure it works as well today to pay the costs, but the PAID work experience (vs a non-paid intern) was worth it's weight in gold looking for jobs.

We had our kids look at the Payscale reports of salaries by college and salaries by major, and college by ROI. Today there is also College Scorecard. Many schools also have reports on what their graduates make, like here is one from San Jose State. My experience is dated, but I used to be in charge of developer hiring for a big Bay Area company and very few managers looked at college attended on resumes.

I agree with the previous advice to go where there are good internship opportunities. Both our kids had paid internships, one was hired full-time even before graduating into the job they always wanted and is now finishing a degree part-time. The other had two offers from both the paid internships. Even though they ended up somewhere else, the recommendations and the experience from the internships helped land the full-time job.

In the Bay Area, companies like Google don't even require degrees these days. Google is actually trying to disrupt the college degree space by offering its own version of online certificates - Professional Certificate Training Programs - Grow with Google.

Here is a list on the top feeder schools to Tech and Silicon Valley Jobs - Top Feeders to Tech (collegetransitions.com)

Last edited:
I'm biased based on my own experience.

I went to a school for my computer degree that was ranked as: last chance U

I did local internships at 2 companies, the last one kept me on while I finished my degree. I really credit the internships as being key to getting that first job, it was proof I could do the work.

Nobody ever questioned the school choice, I got jobs based on my interview answers, reputation and experience over time.

Go to a local, affordable junior college for the first 60 credit hours. No one will ask your kid where they took freshman english, history or public speaking...

The big name schools will not put a disclaimer on your child's degree saying it wasn't all from " the brand name"

Save some money and thank me later

Do check in with the guidance counselor at his high school. A knowledgeable counselor with a vast network of contacts, sources, and resources can be invaluable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom