Colonoscopy fun II

Mr._Graybeard

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mickeyd's colonoscopy question (on new laxatives) reminded me of something that's been bugging me since my last scope.

I had the procedure, and afterwards, the gastro doc informed me that his scope hadn't been long enough to survey my entire colon. He wanted to do a barium procedure to complete the test.

Apparently I have an extra-long colon. Another doc remarked on it after he examined me some years back, but he did a full exam and didn't want me to come back for a do-over. I think I know who I'll go to for my next exam.

Has this ever happened to anybody else? It seemed pretty lame to me that I'd go through all the prep and the doc tells me afterward that his equipment wasn't up to the task. That's my read on it, anyway.

Sounds like BS to me. That scope is long enough to see up Andrea the Giant's azz. He's got some extra radioactive barium stuff on the shelf he wants to get rid of.

I just had one of these done in Sept. ONE lousy 1/3 of a centimeter "tubular adenoma" found and removed. Plain vanilla. Nothing cancerous or pre-cancerous. This is the least worrisome type of polyp and any polyp less that 1 cm is considered trivial and does not warrant removal according to everything I've read. (But I am not up-to-date on all the latest "marketing" literature.) But their recommendation is I need a colonoscopy in three years or I might die. (Paraphrasing).

Something similar happened to me. I had my first colonoscopy 10 years ago and all went well. Then I had an appendectomy shortly thereafter. I went for my 2nd colonoscopy last year, and my dr couldn't complete the procedure. Couldn't scope the whole length of the colon because of tight twists, bends in the colon. Apparently these twists and bends were caused by the healing process following the appendectomy. Dr recommended that I get a lower GI (barium exam). So I went through the prep again 1 week after the incomplete colonoscopy and had the lower GI. The lower GI was quite an experience, done when I was awake, and was uncomfortable. That said, I'd take your dr's advice and have it done, or at least meet with the dr to discuss.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The dr said my lower colon was "tortuous", meaning it had a lot of extra twists and turns in it. He didn't say an ancient appendectomy might have caused it though. That's interesting.

I've had three colonoscopies since age 50, basically one every five years. I had some colitis flareups years back, and I had one gastro recommend I have a colonoscopy ANNUALLY because of my history. That ain't gonna happen, but I don't have a problem with getting scoped at half the normal time interval to be a little extra vigilant. My first scope turned up some scarring from the colitis but the other two came back clean, so to speak. No polyps.

I refuse to get a barium enema. I had one years ago, part of a total barium GI. It made the colonoscopy seem pretty pleasant.

BTW, I see there's a new colon cancer test on the horizon that involves a stool sample. Here's a link to the story. New home test shakes up colon cancer screening

My dr did use the term "tortuous" in my case also. He found that I had adhesions to internal organs when he performed my appendectomy 10 years ago. The appendectomy may have caused changes in the adhesions that resulted in the colon being tortuous.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Sounds like BS to me. That scope is long enough to see up Andrea the Giant's azz. He's got some extra radioactive barium stuff on the shelf he wants to get rid of.

I just had one of these done in Sept. ONE lousy 1/3 of a centimeter "tubular adenoma" found and removed. Plain vanilla. Nothing cancerous or pre-cancerous. This is the least worrisome type of polyp and any polyp less that 1 cm is considered trivial and does not warrant removal according to everything I've read. (But I am not up-to-date on all the latest "marketing" literature.) But their recommendation is I need a colonoscopy in three years or I might die. (Paraphrasing).

FYI, two things of note. A GI doc doesn't do the barium enema, it's done by a radiologist (it's one of the reasons I didn't go into radiology, LOL!). Second, the barium sulfate isn't radioactive. It just shows up as opaque in an Xray. It is totally insoluble thus can't get absorbed and cause harm in the body.

I think the recommendation of every 3 years was a bit of CYA medicine. Just googled it and found an article which said the evidence recommends 5-10 years surveillance.

http://www.asge.org/assets/0/71542/71544/e49cb8b8-9e3d-4678-9252-0a415efd6c2d.pdf

FYI, two things of note. A GI doc doesn't do the barium enema, it's done by a radiologist (it's one of the reasons I didn't go into radiology, LOL!). Second, the barium sulfate isn't radioactive. It just shows up as opaque in an Xray. It is totally insoluble thus can't get absorbed and cause harm in the body.

Yes, we know.

I think the recommendation of every 3 years was a bit of CYA medicine. Just googled it and found an article which said the evidence recommends 5-10 years surveillance.

Yes, given what I had I could practically hear him sprain his shoulder reaching for my wallet. My situation not only bears no surveillance beyond what a typical situation would warrant but, get this... I asked him point blank 'cause I don't like equivocal statements, So, doc how do I look compared to what you'd expect to see in a 57 yr old man? About average, worse? Better? And he says, in a very positive eyebrows up way: "I'd say you looked better than what we'd expect". So I'm actually BETTER than average but I need another colonoscopy in 1/3 the normal repeat time. Robot to Dr Smith: That.. does.. not.. compute.

I even have the pictures. Actual camera shots and the little schematic diagram. So, if there's any peculiarities or extenuating thingies why would he lie and not tell me?

I even have the pictures. Actual camera shots and the little schematic diagram. So, if there's any peculiarities or extenuating thingies why would he lie and not tell me?

Egad, I hope he wouldn't lie, that could lose the guy a career. At least you have 3 years minimum to research it yourself. Maybe by then there will be updated recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom