Colorblindness

I read an article about Enchroma eyeglasses last year which said that some museums are stocking the glasses for the public to try. I had hoped to visit one of the museums this year to try the glasses before buying, even though they come with a money-back guarantee. Given the coronavirus, I doubt I'll be able to visit any of the museums for a while. The Enchroma website has a page which lists the museums, libraries, and state parks which have the eyeglasses available. Scroll down the following page to see the list of museums, etc:

https://enchroma.com/pages/color-accessibility?_pos=1&_sid=a9de44011&_ss=r

It sounds like the OP's DH has deutan colorblindness, and I believe my dad had the same type. Red, green, & brown all looked the same to him. It is the most common type of colorblindness, representing about 75% of those with colorblindness. I would love to have gotten the glasses for my dad to try, but he died a few years ago. He attempted to join the military during WWII in order to become a pilot, and that's when he found out he was colorblind. You can't become a pilot in the USA if you're colorblind.

Most other colorblind individuals have protan colorblindness and that's what test results usually show for me. I generally don't confuse colors (with the exception that some purples look blue to me), but I may not see colors depending on the amount of light, background, & amount of color in the field. I didn't realize I was colorblind until shortly after I graduated from college. It explained the problems I had using microscopes for seeing cell structures when a red stain is typically used. I also had problems with colored chalk on blackboards, which I mistakenly assumed everyone had.

When I've taken online colorblind tests (not just Enchroma's test), the results are not consistent for me. I phoned Enchroma this week because of my inconsistent results. Over 50% of the time, my results state that I have moderate protan colorblindness. But sometimes it says I'm severe protan, mild protan, moderate deutan, or even normal color vision. Enchroma's description of symptoms of protan colorblindness are mostly consistent with my personal experience.

I suspect that the glasses wouldn't make as dramatic a difference for someone like me with protan colorblindness versus someone with deutan colorblindness.

The woman I spoke with at Enchroma was very helpful. She recommended that I take the test on a computer screen instead of a tablet or phone. She said it's best if the room has diffused natural light rather than artificial light. There are also some controls you can adjust by clicking on the "stop" button on the upper left side of the test screen. She recommended under options setting the "Confidence Goal" to 97.5%. Default was 95%.

I also asked her if the same glasses are given to someone who is protan versus someone who is deutan. She said yes, but they also have a different lens for people who have "strong protan" colorblindness.

There are also "Instructions" you can read. For example, it says to guess if you think you see a number but aren't certain. It also says that if you are wearing Enchroma glasses, the test results could be "worse" or "confusing".

I'm colourblind, as is my brother.

We both agree we have no interest and would never use these things. Perfectly happy as is.

That's nice...
I don't get why you would not even want to try it, just to see what the fuss is all about, and to know what others are meaning when they talk about colours even if you are not wearing them.

When I went and got my car license, I had to go get glasses, it was then I learned that everyone does NOT see a fuzzy Monet style world like I was seeing :facepalm:

I'd like to try these out, just to see what folks mean when they say red light, as in just HOW red is the light :confused:

I can understand the hesitation. DH went an entire week before taking them out of the box to try them on. He was used to seeing the world a certain way for 60 years and he wasn’t completely ready to see it differently.

Color blindness

Earlier this year I went to an opticians office that sells Enchroma glasses in Central NY. We decided to try the over the lenses glasses on a temporary basis. The glasses were just under $100. I tried them for two months and couldn't believe the difference they made. The only issue was the over the glasses lenses were heavy and became uncomfortable after a few hours. Went back and ordered a pair with my prescription. They give you 85% of the cost of the over the lenses back if you purchase a pair. Then Covid hit and I couldn't get my glasses for a couple of months. I am now able to see colors clearly that I have never seen clearly before. I really like the lenses although they do take a little getting used to since they are a different prescription than my regular glasses. As far as I can tell three weeks into it they were well worth the money. While not cheap they add value to my life. As others have said now that I can see colors I have to relearn the color chart. I still get some of the color names wrong but with the help of the DW, I'll get through it.
Thanks
Leroy Jones

DH is extremely colorblind. He can’t see the colors red or green. Everything looks either gray or brown.

Today is his 60th birthday. For his birthday we ordered him a pair of Enchroma sunglasses that are engineered to correct this type of colorblindness. They have only been on the market for a short period of time so it’s a very new technology.

He put them on for the first time this morning while we were outside on a beautiful sunny day. For the first time ever he was able to see the red flowers, the green grass, and the real color of our house. I was a little nervous that they might not work but they apparently provide exactly the correction needed for him to see the colors he’s been missing out on his entire life.

We are going for a ride now so that he can see what the world looks like in color. It’s been a really overwhelming day for both of us to experience this after so many years of him living in a colorless world.

For anyone out there who is also colorblind, there are worth checking out. They offer a full refund if they don’t work.

That’s the type of happy story I’ve been craving. Congratulations!!

I took the test and have normal color vision, but a conversation along the following lines is a common occurrence in my house:

Young Wife - "What color did you get?"

Gumby - "Pink." Showing her.

YW - "No, that's coral." (or rose, or salmon, or peach, or bubblegum, or one of a million other names I can't remember)

G - "Looks pink to me."

While I am mildly colorblind, don't even get me started on hair colors. Wow!

DW bought a box of Dark Blonde......it must have been mismarked, she had jet black hair afterward. We had a good laugh for 6 weeks or so!

EnChroma (maker of colorblind glasses) has installed viewers at various locations.

Hopefully more parks will get them, as it would off a quick way for someone to try them out.

I know next time we are in Macon GA, I'll be visiting the Mounds, and will ask to try them. There they have glasses to try.

https://enchroma.com/pages/color-blind-scenic-viewers

Back
Top Bottom