Commute Time

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
1. How many total hours a week do you spend commuting to and from your current place of employment.
If you are no longer employed, total weekly commute time at last place of employment.

Mine... last place, worked out of home... 0 hours.

2. What was your longest weekly commute time... total career?

Mine... 20 hours.

When I was working in NYC, it took me two hours door to door, one way. So a total of 4 hours a day commuting or 20 hours a week.

My shortest commute was in the US Navy. When we were at sea, I was at work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

1. 6.7 hours (13 miles each way on freeways)
2. 10 hours (35 miles each way on mountain roads)

I had a year of a 10 minute walk, and 6 years of a 10 minutes drive each way. The other 23 years was at least a 30 minutes drive each way or 5 hours a week, including the last 2 years I worked.

The last seven years I worked as a telecommuter from home, so zero hours per week.
My longest commute was for one year of an hour each way or twelve hours per week (six day week...hence only one year)

1. 7min if I drive, 40min if I walk, 6hr/wk walking, which is also my exercise.

2. 1.2hr drive in my last 2 years in the Air Force. 12hr/wk; I didn't do that any longer than I had to...

My shortest was a 15 minute walk to work... until the towers came down and I had to move... so 1.5 hrs/week... (but worked a lot of overtime, so not so great)...

Longest was driving to the bus and taking it downtown... 10 hrs/week...

1. How many total hours a week do you spend commuting to and from your current place of employment.
If you are no longer employed, total weekly commute time at last place of employment.

2. What was your longest weekly commute time... total career?

1. Currently working very part-time from home so no weekly commute. When I was working full-time my daily commute was about 1 1/2 hours total so 7.5 hours a week.

2. When full-time about 15 hours a week, sometimes 18 hours. Since part-time, about 6 hours a week when I was working only 2 days a week but had a 3 hour round trip commute.

1. If I take public transit and ride my bike, 90 minutes each way (15 hours per week). If I drive, 30 minutes each way 5 hours per week). I usually do the former because it is less stressful and I can read on the train for part of it.

2. I once had a commute that left me a single hour of awake time at home. It had me leaving the house at 5:00 a.m. to walk 3 miles (up and down hills) to catch a shuttle bus that took me six miles to town to catch a bus that took me to the small city that was 28 miles away. I would get home around 8:00 p.m. and be in bed by 9:00.

One hour if I left at 5:30 AM to beat the traffic. Three hours if I didn't.

I did fly back and forth from China (24 hrs each way) every other week for 2.5 years, but I don't think that counts as real commuting.

Most of my working life was in a city, I lived only a few miles from work but traffic made the average commute about 15 - 20 min (very early in, very late out). During rush hour, 90 minutes. When it rained, anything under 2 hours was a gift.

For a year and a half I had an assignment around 500 miles to the south, so my commute was to fly out Monday mornings and return Friday nights. Not sure how to calculate the commute time.

Nothing terribly long, compared to many.
But the most frustrating one was in a big city where the traffic congestion was so bad it routinely took about 80 minutes to drive nine kilometers (5.6 miles). It only took a short time more to leave the car at home and take the bus, so that's mostly what I did.

I have a ten minute drive at present. It might sound walkable but it isn't as there are no sidewalks and I would have to dodge across 4 lanes of traffic at one point. It also involves some pretty big hills.

Longest commute was many years ago when I drove from Buckroe Beach to the Army Corps of Engineers in Norfolk. I believe it took me about 40-50 minutes each way (some degree of traffic, esp. coming home).

Most recent - 16 miles = 35 minutes (more if I hit the school zones) each way.

In LA, I had at least 1 hour each way, either on a bus, company van, or my car.

Now I work from home, when I have a project to do (part time).

The longest I ever had was a 30-35 minute each way commute and that was only four years. Usually it was 15-20 minutes. Shortest was in WV - 8 minutes each way if the traffic light was red.

What some of you describe is brutal. No wonder the emphasis on ER!

It is 35 miles to my workplace one way, about 45 minutes to an hour each way.
I live on an island at the south end of the county and my office is on the north side. But what a beautiful drive it is, including the ride across the wonderful Cooper River Bridge every day. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1394979255.980386.jpg

I was never very fortunate with commuting. Usually about 45 mins drive each way, sometimes more on the drive home.

I usually commuted from the city to office parks in the suburbs so mass transit was not a viable option, generally adding an extra hour or more each way with the various bus, train and shuttle connections.

1. My present commute is about 4.5 hours a week. And I only have to drive it fourteen more days. :dance:

2. My longest commute was about 7 hours a week. The worst part of that commute was during snowstorms. Part of the route was along Lake Michigan, and I'd get to drive through snow drifts almost as high as the hood of my car.

Currently, it takes me 24 minutes a day round trip to and from work. I've been there 30 plus years and this is also my longest commute time. So in total, it's about 2.5 hours a week.

When I go to the office, it's 23 miles one way or about 35 minutes. At 2 days a week of work now, I'm at 2 hrs 20 min commute time pee week. It used to be 5 hrs 50 minutes when I worked 5 days.

For ten years my round trip commute was 125 miles a day! On good days it was 1.75 hours one way. So the best case 17.5 hours a week.

Only time it really bothered me was a day I got caught downtown during a snowstorm, 4 hours to get home. The worst part of that was 1.5 hours just to get 4 blocks to the I-70 ramp.

If there was snow or ice in the morning, I called in and took a vacation day. That wasn't really allowed, but I worked for a couple of wonderful directors, that would bend the rules.
MRG

I always used public transit to commute to work, whether it was the Long Island Rail Road, the NYC Subways, or the PATH trains (a small subway system connecting adjacent cities in New Jersey with Manhattan). For all but the first year of my career (subway only), I used the LIRR and one of the two other train systems. The cummute was always long and tiring, subject to delays and crowds and bad weather and labor problems and no A/C in the summer and hot, underground platforms. It was by far the number one reason I ERed.

The total commuting time, after the 25-minute subway-only time each way for the first 9 months of working (I lived in Manhattan), ranged from 60 minutes each way to 90 minutes each way, most of the years closer to 60 minutes on the LIRR and subway. For a short time in 1986, I had the 90-minute trip each way using 2 LIRR trains and the subway (15 hours per week). Then I moved closer to Manhattan.

But after my company relocated to New Jersey in 2001 (before the 9/11 attacks), the commute changed from LIRR+subway to LIRR+PATH, a slightly longer but more tiring commute (because the PATH connection was lousier). I was now up to 75 minutes each way per day, or 12.5 hours per week.

I did that commute for about 11 weeks until I got my part-time, mostly telecommute deal. I had to go to the office only 1 day a week and that lasted for 27 months. But the company ended open-ended telecommuting so I had to go to the office 3 days a week, returning to me much of the horrors of commuting (7.5 hours per week on 3 days). There were some new ones, too, such as the endless use of cell phone yakkers on the trains to make those trips even more annoying.

After 3 1/2 years of that, I reduced my hours so I would have to go to the office only 2 days a week (5 hours of commuting on 2 days). But even that became too much after 17 months so once all the pieces of my ER plan fell into place in 2008, I retired. I needed to reduce my commuting hours to zero.

I hated the commute so much that I told the HR guy in my exit interview that even if the company offered me my old telecommute deal back (I knew it was a non-starter), I would turn it down. That's how much I hated the commute.

Hey thanks. Was enjoying Sunday till this thread reminded of Monday Work !. :mad:

16 miles one way to the current office, 45 min to work, 1 hr , 15 min to get home, if everything goes as planned 10 hours per week.

Sometimes I have to end the day off site, like 30 miles from home , and have a nice 2,5 hour comute home in Los Angeles Traffic, all on my own time.

Most time ever comuting 89 miles each way, 28 days a mo. a lot of years ago. Wasn't so bad, it was a 3rd shift job, civilian contractor at a D.O.D. facility, 6.5 hr shift , with a 25% shift bonus, and 1.5x bonus saturdays, 2x bonus on sundays. Did that for a year, made enough for a large down payment on a house.:dance:

Back
Top Bottom