Commute Time

in my first job it was about 3 minutes. Actually was faster by bike by the time I got the car parked. In my current job it is about 30 minutes each way thanks to an expensive tollway. Not on the toll way could be up to 3x that in rush hour. Giving up that commute in 6 weeks time! Yeeeha!

1. How many total hours a week do you spend commuting to and from your current place of employment.
If you are no longer employed, total weekly commute time at last place of employment.

Mine... last place, worked out of home... 0 hours.

2. What was your longest weekly commute time... total career?

Mine... 20 hours.

1. About 45 minutes a week currently... I suppose 90 minutes because I usually go home for lunch to work out and let our dog out. :rolleyes:
2. Longest commute was 8-10 hours depending on traffic. I don't miss that one bit.

I had a 17 mile drive so about 25 minutes each way or 250 minutes per week.

For the most part, I had a commute of about 10 minutes to the office. But as soon as I got there I had to swap into a company car and spend most of the rest of the day fighting traffic on L.A. Freeways.

It's 20-25 minutes each way two days a week. The drive is sort of pleasant except when it rains, then the drive each way can be 45-50 minutes. I now work 10AM to 2PM, so I'm never in rush hour.

When I used to w*rk, I had a very easy commute. Traveled by commuter train. About a 1/2 mile walk from my house to the station. At end office right across from station. About a 30 min time from office to platform by home.

About 7 minutes each way for my last 15 years. Could actually see my mega corp from my deck. Could come home at lunch to let the dog out.

About 7 minutes each way for my last 15 years. Could actually see my mega corp from my deck. Could come home at lunch to let the dog out.

Seeing your mega corp from your deck is both a good and bad thing :)

My final job (of 3 years): 6-10 minutes driving (to downtown) or 10-20 minutes if I took the bus.

My previous job was about the same (except no transit options).

The longest commute was about 40 minutes (30 miles) from one side of the metro area all the way to the other. Oddly enough it was for an unpaid internship that lasted for 3 months. I ended up working in the same building in my final job that I retired from (after a break of 10 years), however by the time I restarted work, I had relocated the 30 miles to the big city where we live now (just a few miles from downtown).

In my final job, I could see the whole north side of the city from my office window, including my neighborhood (which was fully blanketed with trees from an aerial perspective).

Last edited:
I've fared well with commuting time. Current job is a 20 minute drive over 8 miles. Very congested at times, and go by several schools.

Previously I had one 5 year stretch which was 1 hour or more. Since I was a consultant there, I didn't mind.

When employed it was about 2.5 hr/wk. unless I had some errands on the way home. That was usually the case to save on time and gas for extra trips.

Cheers!

1. How many total hours a week do you spend commuting to and from your current place of employment.
If you are no longer employed, total weekly commute time at last place of employment.

Mine... 20 hours.

My last job I telecommuted and traveled, so my commute could be 20 seconds (down the hall to my home office) or hours (when traveling).

My longest regular commute was a "reverse commute" (lived in the city and worked in the suburbs) and took 1.5 hours round trip (depending on traffic) so 7.5 hours a week.

Later in my career, for about a year I "commuted" from the east cost to London every other week (out on Sunday, return on Friday) so my "commute" then was about 11 hours one way.

Last edited:
It takes me 1 hour and 20 minutes in the morning and 1 hour and 45 minutes to get home.

I have just received approval to telework three days a week, as long as I'm in the office on Wednesday and Thursday. (that's really what they said ;)) So that will be a big life change for me. The commute was affecting my health, I believe.

Mine... 20 hours.

46 miles 1 way to work each day for the past 14 years. Takes me about an hour each way. Thank goodness my company offers "flex time" and I have elected my work hours from 5:30 AM to 2 PM. Feb. of 2013 I bought a new vehicle and already have 31,000 miles on it.

Mike

A slightly different take:

Longest commute by car....1 hr round trip each day.
Shortest commute by car....5 minutes round trip each day. (Eight blocks)
Shortest commute walking...15 stairs to my home office.
Longest commute by time....4 hours each way flying from Denver to LA to Denver. I did this three times a month for 15 years. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

A slightly different take:

Longest commute by car....1 hr round trip each day.
Shortest commute by car....5 minutes round trip each day. (Eight blocks)
Shortest commute walking...15 stairs to my home office.
Longest commute by time....4 hours each way flying from Denver to LA to Denver. I did this three times a month for 15 years. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

My BIL flew from LAX to JFK twice a week for a number of years for business meetings. No thank you!

Mike

Let's see, 20 minutes each way, twice a day, is 200 min/week or 3:20 of my life wasted a week.

But, at one time I lived in a large city where it took me an hour each way, or 10 hours/week, and housing prices were out of the question close to the office. That's why I don't live there any more.

This exercise really make one think!

Back
Top Bottom