complete and total frustration with insurance renewal this year

rodi

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Warning - this is a long rant!!!!

This year my husband started Medicare on Jan 1st. A few months ago I went on coveredca.com and renewed the HDHP/HSA bronze plan for myself and my 2 minor age sons.

In previous years, a "feature" of coveredCA (that was handled properly on healthcare.gov) was that you could not sign up with family members on more than one plan and still get the premium tax credit up front. So we paid full freight up front, and receive(d) it at tax filing time. CoveredCA seems to have fixed that "feature" (aka Bug) this year - the first year we wouldn't need it.

I entered my income more accurately (vs inflating it to allow 2 separate plans) for 2017. It was above the level mediCAL should apply - but somehow the kids got put into mediCAL. This despite the fact that I did NOT change my 2016 income. It took over 2 months to get this mess cleared up... and I finally resolved it in late December... Although the kids were still on mediCAL (medicaid for california) until 12/31 because there's a provision to "protect" children from being dumped off prematurely.

After I got it fixed through the county Social Services, I went back to CoveredCA and spent a while on the phone with them to verify that my 2017 insurance was properly entered.

Note - I prepaid the January payment (reduced with a PTC) in October, then prepaid the full amount (again) in December when it theoretically was fixed.

Yesterday - I called Kaiser to get a physical appointment for my son since he wants to join the swim team. They told me that neither son was covered.

What!!!!

I talk to the first level of member services and they put me in "believe me" status while it is investigated. I call the main member services line - and am told that it is out of their hands. I ask her to verify that I've paid the premiums and she refuses - saying it's up to Covered California. She then hangs up on me.

I call covered California - and find out my application is still a giant mess. At first glance it looked like we're all covered. Then they look at the effective dates for my sons - and their insurance started *and ended* on 1/1/2017. He was able to see that I'd paid and had no idea why the dates were wrong. Then he does some more digging and my reported income is completely messed up -showing 3 different income levels... in 3 different spots in their system. They reapplied my application for 1/1/2017 to 12/31/2017 (needed a supervisor) - but they couldn't figure out why the income was all messed up.

I may have the situation where the kids are put back into the mediCAL system improperly - which will take months to undo again.

My case is "escalated" at covered california - but I was told not to call back for 2 more weeks.

Kaiser Permanente was good - with the "believe me" status I was able to make the physical appointment, and confirm that the follow up surgical appointment (for his jaw surgery last november) was still valid.... But sheesh.

I really hope it doesn't get shunted to medicaid again. I will completely lose it if that happens.

I should add - that to my knowledge MediCAL did not cover any of my son's surgery in November, when he theoretically was under their program... I have the medical bills, deductible statements, and OOP max levels hit, to prove it. All it did was create a LOSS of insurance for the provider I was paying for. And I spent over 15 hours on the phone with county social services and covered california trying to get it all fixed.

What a mess, rodi. The healthcare system has become so complex that it seems unmanageable at times. And somehow I think it has to cost a lot of money to have all of these people "fixing" things that go wrong.

Hope it gets straightened out soon.

You have every right to rant! What a mess.

I don't know what to suggest to fix it, either. Hope it gets straightened out.

I can't imagine your situation (one parent on Medicare, one not, with dependents) is that unusual today. A shame it isn't a routine application. Things like this give me a stomach ache. Good luck!

Rodi, good luck straightening out the mess. It's my feeling that the people on the end of your calls have no idea HOW to straighten out the mess.

Medicare is not safe from this, ask me how I know. I had a Dr's coding error cause a $20 over-payment to my annual Medicare deductible ($167 vs $147 annual). That caused my supplemental company, who paid the over-payment, to stop processing my claims. (fortunately, I didn't have any major ones at the time).

No one wanted to help straighten this out. Medicare, the supplemental carrier, and the doctor's office (they use a third party billing service in India) all said it was up to me to find who made the error and get them to correct it. :mad: It took me 6 months of phone calls and letters to get someone to recode the bill and resubmit it to Medicare, even after I offered to send a $20 check to the supplemental carrier to get them paid back.

Is it possible to meet with / at any of these offices in person, rather than over the phone? Having a customer service person "in person", at their computer terminal, and you with all of the physical evidence (docs) in hand might handle communications better.

I've always found FTF conversations way more productive than telephonic / electronic.

_B

Kaiser was so impossible to deal with over a COBRA issue that I had to get my ex-employer involved. I like the medical care, but their front office is a nightmare.

As some of you may recall, we went through a torturous period back a few years ago trying to get our catastrophic coverage in place that we were entitled to under ACA but was hung up in red tape. In the end, we ended up with a policy directly from BCBS.. they bill us and we pay them directly. The system is so screwed up I'm not changing it at all unless we end up having to.

One thing that helped in my case is I made a number of complaints to my local state legislators (one of whom I know), the Governor's Hot Line and my congressman and US Senators. I'm not sure which of these complaints bore fruit but eventually someone from the Governor's office called me and she was able to pave the way to a resolution.

I wonder if CoveredCa has some sort of ombudsman to assist with particularly gnarly situations like yours... if so it might be worth a try... the squeaky wheel gets the grease... I got a giggle where they told you not to call back for a few weeks... or course... they don't want to deal with it.

Nothing to add except my sympathies rodi. 2016 was the first year since 2011 that I only had one disputed bill to argue over with the insurer and/or doctor/hospital office.

You have my sincere sympathies rodi and I hope it all gets straightens out.

Not nice to pour salt on the wound....
I'm totally sympathetic with Rodi's issue. My response was to the comment that the US health care system was going to be straightened out soon. It ain't. :nonono:

Is it really the healthcare system, or is it a FUBAR (f***ed up beyond all recognition) caused by the computer? The same thing can happen with an airline reservation system, the IRS computers, or a self-driving car, etc...

I have seen that when the computer messes up, it takes an act of God to straighten it out because the normal rep or operator cannot easily override the program.

Here's a much more benign problem I had recently, which was straightened out a lot more easily.

As a long-time user of the TaxAct program, I received an invitation from them to register for the 2016 edition. So, I logged in via the Web and made a purchase to get their early-bird discount.

Some time later, I received an email saying that their preliminary edition was available, and I could log in to download it. When I did so, I could not find the menu to let me download it. An email to Support got a reply that they saw no proof that I pre-ordered it. What?

I placed a call to talk to a human rep, and he was able to place the order for me, and to give me the discounted price.

Now, a healthcare policy with ACA involves more parties, and it gets more complex to sort it out. My point is that it's a computer problem, and is just coincidental that it is about healthcare.

I agree that the issue is a computer problem. Somehow wrong dates got entered for my kids when they finally were released from the Medicaid SNAFU. And somehow the income is completely wrong in some parts of their program and correct in other parts. The covered California phone reps are nice and helpful but this appears to be a pretty low level glitch and they need some help troubleshooting. They are much more responsive than the county social services folks who refused to help or escalated the car so it would be seen "within a month".

I hear dental care is excellent in Mexico. if I lived in a border city, I'd research the nearest Mexican hospitals for quality and cost of care. Might be worth it to travel and pay cash.

I hear dental care is excellent in Mexico. if I lived in a border city, I'd research the nearest Mexican hospitals for quality and cost of care. Might be worth it to travel and pay cash.

I'm not sure how much you'd save. My son had a fairly large ameloblatoma removed from his jaw in November... I am not sure I would have gotten it cheaper in Tijuana. I have a thread here showing that even though I'm on a HDHP the negotiated rates are "reasonable" considering. It was just shy of the max OOP for my son $6500. That was for 2 surgeons and a few pre/post op appts as well.

That said - in college I would cross the border and buy my birth control pills - same exact pill packet - instructions in spanish, but same manufacturer... $3/month vs the $25/month the US pharmacies wanted. My friends and I would go together and buy a years supply at a time. (And have a nice meal as well.) It was OTC there - but we had our prescriptions so we knew what to ask for. So obviously I have not big issue crossing the border for medical purposes.

I'm not afraid to explore options across the border where it makes sense... and I have a friend who's used a dentist in TJ for dental implants... His dentist here in San Diego was impressed with the work. I'd definitely consider using his Tijuana dentist if I needed major dental work since it's so expensive here.... But stuff like tumor removal from a jawbone.... eh - not so much.

Also - this issue I'm dealing with right now is my *kid's* insurance... It's one thing for me to take risks - but I'm not going to risk my children not having insurance.

Last edited:
I learned the very first year of ACA that it's trouble if you report your income below about 250% FPL. The insurance guy that "helped" me the first year said "there's nothing wrong with Medicaid" (where the kids kept getting snagged in 2014 healthcare.gov site). He didn't even know that it takes 6 months for the state to run the application (meanwhile, uninsured) and the kids would certainly be rejected (non-Medicare expansion state).

Does Covered California have an office that you can go to, talk with a person and show them your documentation and that person might be able to plow through the red tape? Here we have "navigators" that help people navigate the bureaucracy.

Foreign healthcare anecdote. DS and family had to travel from Tanzania to SA to have his eye worked on. He's blind in one eye and has accumulated painful mineral deposits on cornea; drops he'd gotten in states weren't working and was expecting SA doc to scrape (ugh) deposits off. The travel was expensive and he was most frustrated that the doc there didn't want to do it and gave different drops. Hopefully will do the trick.

While there had his two boys checked out (eyes dilated) for same malady he has as it can be passed on. Both negative, so great. The doc spent over an hour with him. He comes out and receptionist says he only talked to you so no charge. And as for the boys they'd just charge for one; $80. SA care is excellent, this is where he got medivaced w collapsed lung; treating physician had been Mandela's personal physician for 6 years. After all, they did the first heart transplant.

Foreign healthcare anecdote. DS and family had to travel from Tanzania to SA to have his eye worked on. He's blind in one eye and has accumulated painful mineral deposits on cornea; drops he'd gotten in states weren't working and was expecting SA doc to scrape (ugh) deposits off. The travel was expensive and he was most frustrated that the doc there didn't want to do it and gave different drops. Hopefully will do the trick.

While there had his two boys checked out (eyes dilated) for same malady he has as it can be passed on. Both negative, so great. The doc spent over an hour with him. He comes out and receptionist says he only talked to you so no charge. And as for the boys they'd just charge for one; $80. SA care is excellent, this is where he got medivaced w collapsed lung; treating physician had been Mandela's personal physician for 6 years. After all, they did the first heart transplant.

Excuse me for asking, but what does SA stand for? (South America?) :confused:

Is it really the healthcare system, or is it a FUBAR (f***ed up beyond all recognition) caused by the computer? The same thing can happen with an airline reservation system, the IRS computers, or a self-driving car, etc...

I have seen that when the computer messes up, it takes an act of God to straighten it out because the normal rep or operator cannot easily override the program.

It's caused by the human entering the data. The ability of a human to override the data entered is limited by procedures enacted by humans.

Back
Top Bottom