Computer Security

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Below is a link to a graphic representation of the most commonly used 4 digit numeric pins. The brighter the square the more common the pin.

As you can see pins such as 1234 are the most common. But, the graphic shows some other interring things, such as the number of pins that start with lower numbers. These are usually month and day pins, perhaps a birthday, anniversary, etc. Also the 19 line is bright, indicating that many pins may be things like the year of birth, marriage, etc.

Note: all the pins used to create this table are on the dark web thanks to numerous data breaches.

Interesting! I don't use any of the common 4321, 1234, etc. but several of my PIN's fall into the "hot zones". I might have to change some of those. Thanks for the heads up.

I looked over the 4 digit PINS that I have out there. Looks like I picked ones that are less common. Some PINS are longer, like to unlock my iPhone is 6 digits. I think that's an option for more the longer PIN on both the iPhone and my Android.

Last edited:
Phew! Dodged a bullet. I don't see 0123 as the most popular :popcorn:.

Kidding aside, I like to keep pins and passwords random when possible. Better that I don't know so I won't leak.

I used to use specific patterns on the numeric keypad for my phone pin when I w*rked cause I had to change it all the time. If you are on a computer with no separate number pad it is less convenient to do that though. Longer is generally better of course if the site needs to be secure.

Does it matter where you use the pings? The one I use at the grocery store is different than the one I use at the ATM. The grocery store is simple, the ATM is a weird combination with little meaning.

Back
Top Bottom