Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing, that's a great read and some great pics.

That 1964 World Series is one of my first memories. It was on in the cafeteria of my elementary school. After that the St. Louis Cardinals were my team - KMOX was one of the few stations outside my home town I could get. Always enjoyed his positivity and his interviews with Jack Buck. Baseball is still the only sport I follow, although I've backed away with the changes this year, and loathe the DH. I really miss the running game, the spectacular defense of Ozzie Smith et. al. Big guys hitting home runs does not interest me. Having the pitcher hit is like a wild card - more variability - in the game. Will miss Lou Brock.

I abandoned it for a while in the 90s after the strike, and may do so again.

That 1964 World Series is one of my first memories. It was on in the cafeteria of my elementary school. After that the St. Louis Cardinals were my team - KMOX was one of the few stations outside my home town I could get. Always enjoyed his positivity and his interviews with Jack Buck. Baseball is still the only sport I follow, although I've backed away with the changes this year, and loathe the DH. I really miss the running game, the spectacular defense of Ozzie Smith et. al. Big guys hitting home runs does not interest me. Having the pitcher hit is like a wild card - more variability - in the game. Will miss Lou Brock.

I abandoned it for a while in the 90s after the strike, and may do so again.

I miss baseball from the past too, the 1994 strike really turned me off for good. Today's players might be bigger, stronger and faster, but the game was better in the days of Lou Brock.

I heard (assume it's true) that Seaver faced Brock more than any other hitter during his career and Brock faced Seaver more than any other pitcher during his career. Sad coincidence we lost both greats in the same week.

I checked the Retrosheet website (an online baseball database) and it shows the top pitching and hitting matchups for each player. Brock and Seaver faced each other more often than either of them faced other pitchers or hitters. And it isn't really close for either one.

Not being a GOT fan I wasn't aware she was still acting until I saw her in Detectorists on Acorn where she played the mother of a character played by her real-life daughter, Rachael Stirling. I'm looking forward to seeing her in her (I assume) last role in the new All Creatures... when it airs in the US next year.

She'll always be Emma Peel to me, though. I borrowed a line from Alton Brown and call my pizza peel "Emma."

And she was as only 5 years older than I. If that's all I have left it's time to really spend my loot. I guess I can't take it with me.

We loved Mrs Peel.

I loved Mrs. Peel. Little girls back then didn't have many strong woman characters to admire on TV, and she was so perfectly beautiful. She didn't take very good care of herself in later life, though.

Thank you for bring this up.

She was one of the "hot ones" from my youth of re-runs in the early 70's. Horrified, of course to later learn she, Samantha Stevens, Ginger, Mary Ann, and Jeannie were all my mother's age.....

Eighty-two is a good run by any measure, but I was surprised at how "old" she looked in recent photos. Doesn't seem to have done any enhancement, maybe I've gotten used to aged stars tightening things up a bit. Still, before I got engaged a couple of years ago, I'd have made a run at her. She's Emma Peel, after all......

Great memories.
The Avengers and arguably the best Bond film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

She was the host on PBS' "Masterpiece Mystery" for a while. I really though she was a classy lady.

I just bought Season 5 on Prime Video in memory. I had a few digital credits to use*. DH doesn't remember seeing this series growing up. I vaguely remember a few episodes that would have been reruns.

Season 5 was filmed in color.

*buying prime videos is very confusing. It's a one-click purchase. They don't show you the price difference with digital credits applied and instead report that the full amount was charged. You just have to trust that digital credits will be applied. If you cancel because you thought there was an error, you will lose your credits. An email shows what you were actually charged and that the credits were applied. It doesn't work this way with Kindle books - very confusing and annoying!

This sent me down a rabbit hole this morning, because I loved the music from Jamaica that was so popular in the 1970s. While poring through YouTube and Wikipedia, I noticed that one of the first Jamaican artists to hit it big on the US/UK charts, Millie Small, died in May. Here's a live lip-sync performance of her 1964 hit, "My Boy Lollipop."

I remember Millie.....didn't know she died...bummer.

In Riyadh, early 1980s on single status, the guy in the room directly above me was a 6'5" (or thereabouts) Jamaican - he had trouble waking up in the morning, so when I came in from my pre-breakfast run I'd blast Peter Tosh for him...always this track...the adjacent rooms were, thankfully, empty at the time :LOL:

Last edited:
I've seen Toots many times, most memorably at a weekend music festival in Poland that we stumbled upon in our free time. He was always full of energy and joy, and he left his audiences happy and exhausted. He will be missed so much. Like all the Reggae greats, he used his music as a positive way to share his stories of oppression and racism in a language that could not be censored. His messages are more relevant now than ever.

RIP my Rasta Godfather. Thanks and praises for your miraculous life.

Last edited:
^

Thanks....funny, just the other day DW & I were saying "Is there anyone Willie hasn't done a duet with?"

Guess not. :cool:

^

Thanks....funny, just the other day DW & I were saying "Is there anyone Willie hasn't done a duet with?"

Guess not. :cool:

Well, if he wants to do one with me...........I'll let you know! LOL!! :LOL:

We all Love Willie down here in Texas!

Very sad. I've been a big fan for decades. RIP.

I can't believe that I missed the news of Brock's passing until today. Lou Brock is definitely one of the all-time GOAT's in the game baseball and worthy of his being a first ballot Hall of Fame induction.

As a kid growing up in Detroit, my most vivid memory of Brock was during the 1968 World Series. Brock tormented the Tigers and especially catcher Bill Freehan during the series by stealing 7 bases and hitting over .400; though it was a controversial play at the plate in Game 5 that both are remembered for. Brock was called out on a bang-bang play after trying to score from second base on a single. Willie Horton fired a strike to Freehan who was blocking the plate. Brock swore that he beat the throw. Freehan and the home plate umpire said otherwise. Many considered that play to be the point at which momentum during the '68 Series swung to Detroit. The Tigers, who were losing 3-2 in game 5 when the play occurred and were down 3-1 in the series went on to win that game and the next two to clinch the title.

Looked like a great throw that Freehan was able to catch on Brock's body before he touched home.

RIP Gale Sayers

I went to my first Chicago Bears game in 1970 and love the Bears ever since. Dick Butkus was my guy but Gale was/is obviously a legend. The youngest hall of fame inductee at age 34. Fair winds and following seas Mr Sayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom