Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP. Stunning. Portrayed Jackie Robinson, the ballplayer and James Brown, the musician before Black Panther

Did a memorable Black Jeopardy skit on SNL answering a potato salad question involving the category “White People”.

This was just so sad. Apparently he had it for 4 years.

So sad. Cancer...such an awful, cruel disease. He was so young, recommended screenings for colon cancer don’t even start til 45. He was great in Black Panther.

Did a memorable Black Jeopardy skit on SNL answering a potato salad question involving the category “White People”.

That was a great skit. Tom Hanks and Louis C.K. on Black Jeopardy were also really funny.

Sorry to hear about Chadwick Boseman. He was a very talented actor.

I had no idea, taken far too soon, cancer still sucks.

I don't normally care about celebrities in almost any fashion, but this one really made me sad on several levels so talented and he made the African American community super proud.

Bums me out.

Major bummer. He also played Thurgood Marshall in the 2017 movie, "Marshall," where he won a tough case in Connecticut.

What a shame to lose such a talent to that lousy disease. I really enjoyed his portrayal of Jackie Robinson.

I'm surprised one could die so young from colon cancer. Maybe screening are needed earlier in life. He was a good actor, enjoyed his performances.

I'm surprised one could die so young from colon cancer. Maybe screening are needed earlier in life. He was a good actor, enjoyed his performances.

I wonder if there was family history? Two folks that I knew in the AF died before they were 50 years old; both from cancer, one of which was colon cancer and his Dad had passed at a young age from it as well.

Sad story nonetheless. He was very accomplished professionally at a very young age. :(

I was so sad to learn of this last night.

He gave powerful performances and I always enjoyed his work.

He was also very involved in charitable and humanitarian work. He did this work quietly and behind the scenes, not in front of cameras as (some) celebrities are fond of doing.

My heart goes out to his loved ones. Such a terrible loss, and at far too young an age.

I recall meeting a man in his 50's about to undergo colon resection for symptomatic colon cancer. Because he was relatively young, his 2 sons were tested for genetic markers for colon cancer. One son carried the gene and a subsequent colonoscopy showed asymptomatic but advanced colon cancer. I recall meeting the 37-year old son going in for colon resection, like his dad months earlier. He tried to be stoic at first. But if anyone has ever seen the movie 50/50 with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, it was very much like that. He became terrified shortly before going into the OR and benefited from heavy sedation. Anyways, some colon cancers are passed genetically to the children, but most are not.

Little boy I know, has the whole Black Panther regalia and can tell you anything about Wakanda. He is going to be heartbroken.

He was a really excellent coach who I'm sure inspired many future coaches.

A heck of a long time rival has passed away. Darn great coach and a man who fought for his beliefs.

The Washington Post: John Thompson, coach who built Georgetown basketball into national power, dies at 78.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8f4846-eb69-11ea-ab4e-581edb849379_story.html

John Thompson was a great Coach and a great person. I had the privilege of going to the 1982 NCAA Final Four when my team UNC with Michael Jordan and coached by Dean Smith defeated Georgetown with Patrick Ewing coached by John Thompson. That was the greatest sporting event I ever witnessed.

I attended Providence College and was a freshman during Big John's senior year. I became much less of a fan after the formation of the Big East when Georgetown used to thump the Friars pretty regularly. Although it was really sweet in 1987 when PC was the Cindarella in the Final Four, having gotten there by upsetting the Hoyas under a relatively unknown young coach named Rick Pitino.

Thompson was definitely a great coach and his own man. RIP.

John Thompson was a great Coach and a great person. I had the privilege of going to the 1982 NCAA Final Four when my team UNC with Michael Jordan and coached by Dean Smith defeated Georgetown with Patrick Ewing coached by John Thompson. That was the greatest sporting event I ever witnessed.
They replayed that one a couple months ago.
Great game!

RIP - Lou Brock

Another icon gone :(.

I remember watching the base stealing duels as a kid between him and Maury Wills.

Lou Brock, a first-ballot Hall of Famer and St. Louis Cardinals legend, died Sunday at the age of 81, the team announced Sunday night.
At the time of his retirement, Brock was Major League Baseball's all-time leader in stolen bases with 938. He also set a single-season stolen bases record with 118 in 1974. Both of those records were broken by Rickey Henderson, who stole 1,406 bases in his career and 130 bases in 1982.
Brock also collected 3,023 hits during his 19-year career from 1961-1979 with the Cardinals and Chicago Cubs.
On June 15, 1964, Brock was involved in one of the most famous trades in major league history, when the Cubs traded him to the Cardinals in exchange for Ernie Broglio, Doug Clemens and Bobby Shantz. Along with starting pitcher Bob Gibson and center fielder Curt Flood, Brock was an anchor for the Cardinals as its combination of speed, defense and pitching made St. Louis a top team in the 160s.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-hall-fame-outfielder-dies-age-81/5736390002/

So sad. As a kid in St. Louis area in the 1960's I know all about that team. Bill White, the first baseman, even came to our grade school for community outreach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom