Consolidated 2020 (2d half) RIP Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always liked him. For years I've wondered about the specifics of his bad experience with heart bypass surgery. He was warned about it by an audience member but not everyone's experience is the same. He mentioned it several times.

So many actors from my youth have gone. passing brings me back to a time when i watched them perform. many I had not even thought about in decades, but it is always somewhat surprising how old they are bc they stopped aging in my mind when I last saw them. He was great in Enter the Dragon. RIP John Saxon

RIP. But a long life.

Is this the celebrity "death trifecta" that tends to happen, this time with Regis Philbin, John Saxon, and Olivia de Havilland?

I saw a picture of him with John Saxon wearing matching yellow uniforms that I thought might be from one of the movies.

Eddie Shack 83

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29542958/former-leafs-entertainer-eddie-shack-dies-83

Eddie Shack, one of the NHL's most colorful players on and off the ice, has died. He was 83.

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced the news in a tweet Sunday morning.

"Eddie entertained Leafs fans on the ice for nine seasons and for decades off of it. He will be greatly missed," the team said in the tweet.

Known for his bruising style, distinctive skating gait and larger-than-life personality, Shack won four Stanley Cups with Toronto in the 1960s, including the franchise's most recent victory in 1967.

I saw a picture of him with John Saxon wearing matching yellow uniforms that I thought might be from one of the movies.

If this is the picture you are referring to, that is Jim Kelly, not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Jim Kelly was a very talent martial artist.

enter_the_dragon_john_saxon.jpg

Sorry to hear of her passing, but she definitely got her money's worth out of Social Security....... RIP

Oh yeah, not nearly tall enough! Duh! But that was the photo that made me remember Abdul-Jabbar.

It’s been a long time, but I was a Bruce Lee movie fan.

As a kid, I watched Hockey Night in Canada. I loved when Shack took the ice. You never new what was going to happen.

I watched it from Detroit. The game was delayed for 30 minutes so we always missed part of the first period. Every so often the game was broadcast from Montreal. That was a special treat.

Last edited:
There was, (perhaps still is), a stand up bar, (the only one in Toronto at the time), called Maloney's that a number of us used to frequent in the late 1960s....Eddie would come in, (didn't stay, probably doing the 'show the flag' rounds), wearing mismatched plaid sport jacket and pants, (never knew if this was all part of his schtick).

Years later I heard he'd gotten into the Christmas tree growing biz.....couple members of my late wife's family knew him.

Thanks Nemo2 for posting. It is fun to think back on this great team which won the Cup 4 times in 6 years in the 60's. Pre-expansion for the NHL and of course the Leafs have never won the Cup since. My curiosity was piqued and I wondered about the team members. All Canadians. Shack at 83 seemed pretty old, especially for the lifestyle some of these players lived. They were athletes though so that must have won out. I met Shack a couple of times, and yes definitely with the plaids! I think it was part of his over the top persona. I still remember him doing the spin-o-rama after being selected among the three stars. I also had the good fortune to sit with Johnny Bower at banquets over the span of a few years. He died a couple of years ago at age 93. When looking through the roster of players, almost all are alive and in their mid 70's to early 90's. 'The Chief', George Armstrong, just turned 90. These guys totally outlived their cohort. I grew up in Niagara and the two players who didn't live long lives both died there. Tim Horton lost control of his Pantera driving back to Buffalo after playing the Leafs in Toronto at age 40 and Bruce Gamble died of a heart attack after an old timer's practice in Niagara Falls at age 44. RIP Eddie. Thanks for the fond memories.

Tim Horton lost control of his Pantera driving back to Buffalo after playing the Leafs in Toronto at age 40

An acquaintance of my late wife's (also gone herself) was a friend of (the also late) Lori Horton's, and I chatted, (OK, listened to her bitch about being 'ripped off' over the Tim Hortons franchise(s)), with Lori at a birthday party some 30 years ago.

Born and raised in Detroit, I grew up detesting the Leafs during the days of the Original Six. Toronto and Detroit were huge rivals and had plenty of epic playoff battles - with the Wings losing all 6 times that they met the Leafs in the finals. Lots of crossover fans in Windsor that bought up plenty of tickets at the old Olympia.

Eddie "The Nose" ended up scoring the game and series winning goal in the '63 Cup finals against Detroit.

A side note. My granddad always felt that Red Kelly was the greatest of hockey players. Kelly played important leading roles on two different clubs winning a combined 8 Stanley Cups. 4 Cups with the Wings as a defenseman and another 4 Cups with Toronto as a center.

I grew up detesting the Leafs during the days of the Original Six.

For a time it was 'fashionable' (in some circles), to say "I don't watch much any more...since Expansion".

I was never much of a team sports follower, but when I lived in British Columbia I'd sometimes watch the Canucks to see Pavel Bure in a breakaway....wow, could he move!

For a time it was 'fashionable' (in some circles), to say "I don't watch much any more...since Expansion".

I was never much of a team sports follower, but when I lived in British Columbia I'd sometimes watch the Canucks to see Pavel Bure in a breakaway....wow, could he move!

I think that NHL expansion coupled with greater player movement dissipated some of those Original Six rivalries. Even after expansion, I still enjoyed watching the NHL.

And yes, the Russian Rocket was quite the player in his day!

Born and raised in Detroit, I grew up detesting the Leafs during the days of the Original Six. Toronto and Detroit were huge rivals and had plenty of epic playoff battles - with the Wings losing all 6 times that they met the Leafs in the finals. Lots of crossover fans in Windsor that bought up plenty of tickets at the old Olympia.

Eddie "The Nose" ended up scoring the game and series winning goal in the '63 Cup finals against Detroit.

A side note. My granddad always felt that Red Kelly was the greatest of hockey players. Kelly played important leading roles on two different clubs winning a combined 8 Stanley Cups. 4 Cups with the Wings as a defenseman and another 4 Cups with Toronto as a center.
My extended family is from Sarnia and Port Huron so I spent my summers in Point Edward. Grew up a Tigers and Lions fan but never the Wings. Probably had something to do with the Leafs' success when I was young and the family tradition of being Toronto fans. My cousins (5 boys) were all Bruins' fans and their father was a diehard Habs' fan. You can imagine how that played in the 70's.

Last edited:
As a kid, I watched Hockey Night in Canada. I loved when Shack took the ice. You never new what was going to happen.

I watched it from Detroit. The game was delayed for 30 minutes so we always missed part of the first period. Every so often the game was broadcast from Montreal. That was a special treat.

I remember CBC picking up the hockey game after the 30 minutes of play. We used to try to guess the score when we were able to get the game late in the first period.

I was always a Montreal fan so I hated the Leafs, but I loved Shack. In my first visit to Maple Leaf Gardens, I saw Shack 3 goals and be the first star ....for the Boston Bruins!

One story attributed to Shack was that he said the only reason he passed 2nd grade, was because he loaned the teacher his car keys! He wasn't school smart, but was very good at earning a buck, something that this board would appreciate.

As a kid, I watched Hockey Night in Canada.

Foster Hewitt's famous, "From high up in the Gondola in the Forum in Montreal, it's hockey night in Canada".

Always enjoyed listening to the Canadian national anthem being sung in French.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom