Contemplating relocation from HI to TX

I just wanted to get out a dissenting view of the San Antonio area. I know folks love it there...and I don't fault them for it...not at all. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

If I had to live in that area again, I would have been farther out from the city; Bandera or perhaps Castroville (out west about 25 minutes on Hwy 90). But San Antonio? No way, no how.

Remember, the OP expressed no interest in living in San Antonio. But I'm glad this thread gave you the opportunity to vent about the place once again - it's good to do that so you don't take it out on those around you. :LOL:

It would be hard for me to give up the beautiful evenings in Hawaii, if I lived there. San Marcos, Texas, has 5 months where the nightly low is under 50 degrees. . . that might be a deal killer for me. I guess it depends on how important climate is to you . . . as the San Marcos area seems to have a lot of positives.

Native Texan here (Waco)...

We looked all over from New Braunfels/Kerrville/Fredericksburg. Looked really hard at Kerrville. Love it there, but in the end decided to stay in the big city (Houston suburbs) for the activities/amenities/health care.

My opinion is that anywhere close to I-35 is WAY too congested. If that doesn't bother you, then you might want to consider Del Webb in Georgetown (North of Austin). Anywhere in that area, be careful and really look at the roads/congestion etc. There are some new nice communities outside New Braunfels, but we found the two lane roads back to town to be a drawback. We feared we'd never drive into town after dark.

Further west (Kerrville/Bandera etc) gets you away from the congestion, hopefully for a LONG time. Look at Comanche Trace in Kerrville, if you are interested in a Master Planned Community. It's not 55+, but it kind of "self-selects" into that market, given location/jobs/prices.

Fredericksburg is nice, if you can handle all the tourists on the weekends. There's a nice newer community near Cross Mountain that you should check out.

I'd consider Waco. Check it out on HGTV's "Fixer Upper". Around 100k people. Baylor draws a lot of money and the amenities that come with that.

It would be hard for me to give up the beautiful evenings in Hawaii, if I lived there. San Marcos, Texas, has 5 months where the nightly low is under 50 degrees. . . that might be a deal killer for me. I guess it depends on how important climate is to you . . . as the San Marcos area seems to have a lot of positives.

+1
I admit this thread had me thinking about living in HI and ways of keeping personal COL low...

HMM

I am from Texas and have a lot of friends and relatives there-MOST of which frequently bellyache about how hot it is. But I think people there are great and there is a can-do vibe about it. But when i return I do notice the big increases in traffic etc. But that is just another reason to try a smaller town near a city which I think would probably be great.

:confused: there are a bunch of us here; we miss the food, live music and our sports teams but that's about it

if you like the outdoors (and not sweating), ID is difficult to beat

You know, many of us Southerners have not ever even met someone from Idaho. But it gets hot even in North Dakota in the Summer. The hot days are just fewer.

Some are talking about retiring to Hawaii. We spend February a year ago there, and the cost of living is just out of sight. My buddy moved there to surf in 1977 and he's never been back to the mainland. His tiny 2 room apartment cost less than my 5200 square foot home with 2 double car garages.

If you can get past the high Texas property taxes, having no state income tax is nice.

You know, many of us Southerners have not ever even met someone from Idaho. But it gets hot even in North Dakota in the Summer. The hot days are just fewer.

Some are talking about retiring to Hawaii. We spend February a year ago there, and the cost of living is just out of sight. My buddy moved there to surf in 1977 and he's never been back to the mainland. His tiny 2 room apartment cost less than my 5200 square foot home with 2 double car garages.

If you can get past the high Texas property taxes, having no state income tax is nice.

I'd venture to guess (which is my job) that 95% of the US population has never met someone from Idaho.

My ski hill (Bogus Basin, 30 mins from my house) is set to open next weekend - I'll post a few photos.

This is a great place to FIRE, I just need to.

Back on topic, I think SA is a great place to FIRE too, especially if you are ex-military. Bunch of nice areas and great golf courses.

Last edited:
Has anyone done a move from Hawaii back to the mainland, Texas in particular, and can share some insights?
I mostly grew up in Kailua, Hawaii and then later ended up in College Station, Texas, which is less than 150 miles from San Antonio. (There were several other states in between Hawaii and Texas for me.)

If you make that move, be prepared for almost nobody to understand the slightest thing about what it's like living in Hawaii. What's more, they do NOT care. :LOL: A surprising number of people on the mainland think everyone from Hawaii wears hula skirts and sleeps in a grass hut while there. Seriously! I was appalled at some things people would say, especially those who are less educated and had never left their local area. I found it was best to just not mention anything about living in Hawaii unless asked.

College Station, Texas, had absolutely the most miserable summers of any place I ever lived in my entire life. Bear in mind that I am saying this from my present home town of New Orleans. :D

That said, I was so pleased and surprised to find out what great people live in Texas. I never expected that. Those that I met were salt of the earth, responsible, honest people and a joy to know. Maybe that's because they were mostly Aggies, but some were not.

I love Hawaii but doubt that I'll ever move back. The high COL is a real show stopper for me. Plus, as they say, "You can't go home again"; in other words, the Hawaii I remember from half a century ago really does not exist any more. Texas, on the other hand, I'd consider returning to if I ever decide to move away from here (which I doubt I'll ever do).

Last edited:
I moved there in 1980 and moved to Reno (Red Rock, very rural area) 2 years ago. W2R, you are so correct about the COL, absolutely amazing. On the other hand, on days like today I do miss the 75 degree weather......... :)

Moved to Texas 35 years ago , the hot weather was bad at first but just like living in Ohio . When it gets too hot you stay inside . In Ohio when it gets too cold you stay inside .

Planned for retirement in Texas when I got here bought some old pine tree foreclosed land in Grimes County . Spent the last ten years developing the land and building a small home ( No building inspectors )

Nice thing about the Texas foreclosed land was ,the state financed it for 2% ,30 years ago . Those pine trees give me an AG exemption 425.00 annual real estate taxes.
Today I am still in the country but I have Montgomery , Bryan CS , and Huntsville all within 25 miles . Houston is within 60 miles . We own a house in the Suburbs of Houston where we have been living and I am sick of traffic and bad driving habits . Nothing like going to our country place sitting in the spa listening to the coyotes . Riding our motorcycles over the country roads ( God Bless Texas )

I moved there in 1980 and moved to Reno (Red Rock, very rural area) 2 years ago. W2R, you are so correct about the COL, absolutely amazing. On the other hand, on days like today I do miss the 75 degree weather......... :)

I know what you mean! But luckily, most places and vehicles are heated and cooled nicely. We work out at the gym, and even walk there on the indoor track.

You know what I miss? Body surfing. All that salt water is so clean and healthy. Even more, I miss that amazing experience of growing up in Old Hawaii (you know what I mean, I'm sure!) but I know that exists only in my memories. I haven't lived there since 1975 although I visited a few times in the 80's and 90's. The last time I was there was in 2001. Couldn't even find my way around any more.

Last edited:
Body surfing and owning a jet ski so I could go anywhere I wanted instead of where the rental companies would make you go. (Think Hilton lagoon) Great memories. If you want to see real old Hawaii, try a trip to the Island of Molokai. I used to take 3-4 day long trips there and it felt like I was back in time. It is still that way.

Body surfing and owning a jet ski so I could go anywhere I wanted instead of where the rental companies would make you go. (Think Hilton lagoon) Great memories. If you want to see real old Hawaii, try a trip to the Island of Molokai. I used to take 3-4 day long trips there and it felt like I was back in time. It is still that way.
That is great to hear! I thought old Hawaii was gone forever. :D

There are still no traffic lights on the entire Island and only 2 stop signs. Traffic, what is that?
I still remember when they put the very first traffic light in Kailua (Oahu). We laughed and thought it was totally ridiculous and unneeded. Wow, have times changed but I have great memories.

I even remember when they put the Pali Highway in. Before that, the way to get from Kailua to Honolulu was going around Waimanalo way.

Last edited:
We just love Hawaii but never been for longer than 2 weeks. I do imagine that cost of living would get to a person eventually. However, those sunsets and perfect evening temperatures sure are nice. Have never lived in Texas but have heard a lot of great things from two friends that moved there from California (one to New Bruanfels and one to the Woodlands). They both have loved living there.

We visited Oahu near Waikiki , loved the visit, met folks who had visited and stayed 30 yrs. But after a week I realized I couldn't retire there, as you are on an island, which means you have to fly and rent everytime you want to visit anything in North America.

I guess I just like the freedom of hopping in the van and driving where I want to go.

Never seriously considered moving back to the mainland, though I second Van-Guard23's assessment of Oahu (the "bad" stuff about Paradise). Texas is one of the states I would consider if I were to ever move back. I haven't spent a lot of time there, but I love the concept of freedom that Texas seems to exude. I doubt there is a state as "different" from Hawaii (mostly in a good way) than Texas - but I'd get political if I expounded.

My only suggestion would be to try other parts of Oahu. Small as it is, you can still find dramatically different living conditions here. Kaneohe or Kailua are really laid back compared to Honolulu proper. Hale Ewa is a different world from Honolulu. Honestly, every place has good points and bad. Trying to find the perfect place is probably an exercise in futility. Still, if one has enough money, one can typically find a place that satisfies. I think I'm there though I will always keep my options open.

By the way, Van-guard23, thanks for your service! Aloha, brah!

Thanks Koolau...we thought about possibly moving within Hawaii but would probably would want to move to another island, more like Maui. However, that wouldn't address our preference to be closer to military facilities nor the desire to minimize travel costs when visiting aging parents as well as kids/grandchildren.

Well, there is that. DW and I love our evening "constitutional" walks and ever since we've lived in Hawaii, seems like anything below 70F we've considered chilly when walking at night, especially when we have tradewinds blowing.

As a couple who've lived in Arizona, Georgia, and deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan (with side trips to Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar), I would imagine hot and humid weather wouldn't deter us much.

I mostly grew up in Kailua, Hawaii and then later ended up in College Station, Texas, which is less than 150 miles from San Antonio. (There were several other states in between Hawaii and Texas for me.)

If you make that move, be prepared for almost nobody to understand the slightest thing about what it's like living in Hawaii. What's more, they do NOT care. :LOL: A surprising number of people on the mainland think everyone from Hawaii wears hula skirts and sleeps in a grass hut while there. Seriously! I was appalled at some things people would say, especially those who are less educated and had never left their local area. I found it was best to just not mention anything about living in Hawaii unless asked.

Thanks for your perspective, W2R! Yeah, Kailua is nice...still quite nice although I would imagine new development and increased traffic would take some of its charm off.

We have some friends on the mainland who've never been to Hawaii (and maybe limited travel in general) and assumed the same thing about Hawaii you mentioned above. Mind boggling!

College Station, Texas, had absolutely the most miserable summers of any place I ever lived in my entire life. Bear in mind that I am saying this from my present home town of New Orleans. :D

That said, I was so pleased and surprised to find out what great people live in Texas. I never expected that. Those that I met were salt of the earth, responsible, honest people and a joy to know. Maybe that's because they were mostly Aggies, but some were not.

I keep reading about miserable summers in Central Texas...would it be worse than summers in Georgia or Arizona?

I love Hawaii but doubt that I'll ever move back. The high COL is a real show stopper for me. Plus, as they say, "You can't go home again"; in other words, the Hawaii I remember from half a century ago really does not exist any more. Texas, on the other hand, I'd consider returning to if I ever decide to move away from here (which I doubt I'll ever do).

We have not finalized our decision although it looks like we are leaning more towards leaving than staying. That being said, we are trying to maximize opportunities to experience things one would only see/do here in paradise. Got to see the Eddie Aikau earlier this year and plan to be there for a few of the Pearl Harbor 75th Anniversary events.

If nothing else, we can always come back and visit.

DW and I were just in Moloka'i a couple of months ago...talk about rural. They still don't have any stop lights anywhere on island! It was a great way to leave all that hustle and bustle of Oahu and just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of "Old Hawai'i.

Just curious...does anyone on this forum live on the Big Island? I would love to hear from anyone who could share their experiences. I could never live in Oahu or Maui - too crowded for me. But the Big Island really appeals to me. I just don't know if I could live there full time.

Native Texan here (Waco)...

We looked all over from New Braunfels/Kerrville/Fredericksburg. Looked really hard at Kerrville. Love it there, but in the end decided to stay in the big city (Houston suburbs) for the activities/amenities/health care.

My opinion is that anywhere close to I-35 is WAY too congested. If that doesn't bother you, then you might want to consider Del Webb in Georgetown (North of Austin). Anywhere in that area, be careful and really look at the roads/congestion etc. There are some new nice communities outside New Braunfels, but we found the two lane roads back to town to be a drawback. We feared we'd never drive into town after dark.

Further west (Kerrville/Bandera etc) gets you away from the congestion, hopefully for a LONG time. Look at Comanche Trace in Kerrville, if you are interested in a Master Planned Community. It's not 55+, but it kind of "self-selects" into that market, given location/jobs/prices.

Fredericksburg is nice, if you can handle all the tourists on the weekends. There's a nice newer community near Cross Mountain that you should check out.

I'd consider Waco. Check it out on HGTV's "Fixer Upper". Around 100k people. Baylor draws a lot of money and the amenities that come with that.

Thanks for the info...might have to expand our search area instead of limiting it to just San Marcos or even Castroville.

DW and I love watching "Fixer Upper" and wouldn't hesitate to have Chip and Jojo get involved in any renovation and interior decoration we would want done in the house, if we decide to relocate and purchase one within the area they cover.

You can almost say that for most any town in America today. Left Hawaii in '72 and thought it was getting too crowded then. Lived in Phoenix in '73...great town. Now every city block repeats itself with the same strip malls. Austin and the Hill Country was beautiful when I left in '79. Today it has lost it charm. Tucson was still a cowboy town and a great place when I arrived in '81. Today it is a zoning mess due to growth.

I am really concerned about what America will look like in another 45 years if growth continues on its current pace. Of course I won't be here to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only know three things for sure about Texas.

I visited San Antonio too many times while in the USAF, but only for a few days at a time. The summers were so horrible that I decided I could never live there. But in the cooler months I enjoyed it as a tourist.

The second thing was that the hill country north of San Antonio was pretty nice. I even briefly considered marrying a girl from New Braunfels.

The third thing was that the western parts (west of a line from Amarillo to Del Rio) were pretty nice if you didn't mind driving long distances.

DW and I love watching "Fixer Upper" and wouldn't hesitate to have Chip and Jojo get involved in any renovation and interior decoration we would want done in the house, if we decide to relocate and purchase one within the area they cover.

If you do this, be very careful about the neighborhood. They do not talk about this much on the show. I REALLY would not want my expensive dream home to be surrounded by $50k rental houses. I can't believe they renovating houses in some of the neighborhoods. Of course, they my gentrify eventually, but how long before that happens.

Slightly off topic. The Gaines' now require (or so I've heard) that the people sign an agreement that they will live in the house and not just rent it out. I guess there's some market for weekend rentals in a 'Fixer Upper'.

Back
Top Bottom