Contemplating relocation from HI to TX

Something has got to be said good about a state that has given us two great things: Tex Mex food and chicken fried steak. And it's often hard to get any Texan to move out of that state.

Would you believe that I lived in Texas for just short of 13 years, and I have never once tasted Tex Mex? My ex was from Southern California and felt that Tex Mex was almost sacrilegious; he would not eat it, so we never went to Tex Mex restaurants. As far as food goes, I think Texas BBQ is amazing and absolutely top notch.

What I loved about living in Texas, was the down to earth, hard working, friendly, reliable, responsible, independent, good hearted people that I knew there. Granted, many of them were Aggies since I lived in College Station; generally they were top notch. Also the wild flowers were amazing.

I would say that Texas is my third favorite state in the nation, after Louisiana and Hawaii.

But not every aspect of Texas is great. I didn't love College Station summers, which were the hottest and most horrible that I have ever experienced. Also I didn't love the property/school taxes which were enough to make your eyes water and give you screaming nightmares.

And I have NEVER seen fire ants as bad as they were in Texas. My first weekend there, I got over 500 fire ant bites, each of which turned into a pus-filled pustule because I apparently was sensitive to them. I was a mess. What happened was that I was swimming in Lake Bryan, and didn't know about fire ants at all, much less how they make "islands" floating in the water. And then I couldn't get them off me! Welcome to Texas. :LOL:

Last edited:
I didn't love Texas summers, which were the hottest and most horrible that I have ever experienced. Also I didn't love the property/school taxes which were enough to make your eyes water and give you screaming nightmares.

And I have NEVER seen fire ants as bad as they were in Texas. My first weekend there, I got over 500 fire ant bites, each of which turned into a pus-filled pustule because I apparently was sensitive to them. I was a mess. What happened was that I was swimming in Lake Bryan, and didn't know about fire ants at all, much less how they make "islands" floating in the water. And then I couldn't get them off me! Welcome to Texas. :LOL:

Keep up the good work!

A few more posts like this and we'll see about getting you on the payroll. :)

Keep up the good work!

A few more posts like this and we'll see about getting you on the payroll. :)

:2funny: And the best part is that it is all true, and there is more (did I mention the spiders? The arsenic in the water from the cotton gin there in BCS? )... and yet Texas is my 3rd favorite state. Go figure.

Last edited:
Property taxes are relative. We pay $6,700 on a value of $282,000. Not being retired yet, I'm not paying income tax, which could be much more in most states. Heat is bad for a few months, but winters are refreshingly mild.

Live 1 mile from the lake that has a 10 mile bike path around is a big plus too.

Living here is easy, but I don't think I'd want to retire here. It's easy to travel from, so maybe make it a "home-base"...

Last edited:
Texas summers are hell. And it's even worse in the middle of the state than down here we here we are a bit drier and windier.

I love Hot Weather. You don't have to shovel it. My air conditioner keeps us cool during the 7 months of summer. I hate cold weather.

Being a retired vet, I have been to Hawaii several times and loved it. However, I don't think I'd like to live there, for reasons already mentioned... high COL, island so far away from mainland, etc.

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could (45 years ago).

There are too many people moving here now. So please, as RE Wahoo has mentioned, spread the word. It's too damn hot here. There's a bunch of gun-toting, pickup driving, chicken fried steak and Tex-mex eating, beer guzzling, football loving, Texas twang speaking hombres here. So now I done told y'all a warning.

Note that kerrville is on the edge of the well settled part of tx. Even the western part of Kerr County is very thinly populated. The next town west with a Wal-Mart is Fort Stockton 250 miles west. Edwards and Real counties, although quite scenic have less than 2 people per square mile meaning they fit the nineteenth century definition of Frontier. Kerrville is 60 or so miles from San Antonio and 100 from Austin (just go to Fredricksburg and take a right on 290 and you will go to Austin). Note that Comanche Trace is with Kerrville City Limits so you will pay 25% more property tax than living outside the city limits.

Thanks for the additional info. We drove by Fort Stockton on our way from San Diego, CA to San Marcos (we opted to drive instead of flying into San Antonio due to anticipated weather delays associated with hurricane Harvey) and I can attest to the lack of "civilization" in that area. We never made it to Kerrville during our last visit but intend to check out Comanche Trace on our next visit.

I also saw that the property taxes in Kerr County is much lower than in Hays County...which could be another consideration.

Incidentally, during another search on the Internet, we came upon Cordillera Ranch in Boerne. The place sounded appealing until we checked out the prices of homes out there...while we can probably afford to live there, I doubt the neighbors would be our "kind" of people.

You might want to get a copy of the November/December issue of Where To Retire magazine. It has an interesting article on San Marcos.

It is hard for me to conceive of anyone without close family in Texas or a compelling employment reason choosing to move to Texas. I mean I can understand people who have lived here a long time staying here. I've lived here my entire life. And, leaving family and friends would be very, very difficult. And just "learning" a new state would be challenging.

But, if I could basically choose anywhere -- even limit it to the US -- I am pretty sure Texas wouldn't make my top 25 let alone the top place. That is not to say that everything about Texas is terrible. It isn't. But, take away family and friends and existing familiarity and I can't imagine a host of other states not beating it out on pretty much every metric.

It is hard for me to conceive of anyone without close family in Texas or a compelling employment reason choosing to move to Texas. I mean I can understand people who have lived here a long time staying here. I've lived here my entire life. And, leaving family and friends would be very, very difficult. And just "learning" a new state would be challenging.

But, if I could basically choose anywhere -- even limit it to the US -- I am pretty sure Texas wouldn't make my top 25 let alone the top place. That is not to say that everything about Texas is terrible. It isn't. But, take away family and friends and existing familiarity and I can't imagine a host of other states not beating it out on pretty much every metric.

Intersting perspective. Oddly, Texas is one of the few places I would consider living if I ever needed to leave Paradise behind. To me, the worst thing about the Islands is the gubmint. Think Massachusetts with nice weather and you get some idea of what I'm talking about. Lots of folks on the forum would fit right into that system, but I still struggle with it. I'll avoid getting any more political than that, but suffice to say, Texas isn't like that if you don't want to live in Austin. Also, I've seen enough of Texas to be certain I could find a place that was at least tolerable, weather wise. (Back in the midwest, one hunkered in the bunker 3 or 4 months a year to avoid the cold - why not 3 or 4 months hunkered in the air conditioned house or apartment?)

Better yet, I'll stay where I am and continue to just ignore the system. YMMV

Texas actually has a lot to recommend it. Its hard to describe the state except to say it is "diverse". I think it is on many peoples' lists for retirement.

It should be on mine. I am from there and have many tied to the state. But I am kind of spoiled living in Northern VA. This is just such a pretty area with a lot more history and more to do generally speaking than any of the major metropolitan areas of Texas. And we like the seasons. And the high property and sales taxes in Texas are a huge negative to retirees IMHO.

Great people though. I will be spending time there even if not there full-time.

Texas actually has a lot to recommend it. Its hard to describe the state except to say it is "diverse". I think it is on many peoples' lists for retirement.

It should be on mine. I am from there and have many tied to the state. But I am kind of spoiled living in Northern VA. This is just such a pretty area with a lot more history and more to do generally speaking than any of the major metropolitan areas of Texas. And we like the seasons. And the high property and sales taxes in Texas are a huge negative to retirees IMHO.

Great people though. I will be spending time there even if not there full-time.

Well, I agree about the taxes in Texas and I think Northern Va is a really nice area.

Many people in Texas are wonderful. And, I probably won't leave due to family and other people I know. And, sure there are nice things. But, if I didn't have ties to this state I wouldn't consider it at all. Of course, I know other people have other priorities and feel differently.

Think Massachusetts with nice weather and you get some idea of what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure I would love Massachusetts with nice weather. I did actually consider Hawaii -- DH was mostly raised as a child in southern California (his Dad was in the Navy) but he lived in Hawaii for awhile. But, no islands for me! Just gives me the creeps (I don't even like living fairly close to the Gulf). It hits my risk averseness.

Better yet, I'll stay where I am and continue to just ignore the system. YMMV

Koolau,
We thought we were going to stay here in paradise for a long while after we retired...but it has just become unbearable to just ignore/tolerate "the system" as you put it...and as one poster stated, believe it was fasteddie911, "if that type of culture and mindset bothers us enough to want to move, then staying here may not be healthy for us in the long term".

VG23

I think Texas suffers a little like Mexico. It is tough to say you don't like it if you have never experienced the many differing climates, geographies and cultures. I mean Plano vs Galveston vs Austin vs San Antonio? So diverse!

It is tough to say you don't like it if you have never experienced the many differing climates,
And all this time I though the 4 seasons in Texas were very hot, really hot, effing hot, and habanero.

And all this time I though the 4 seasons in Texas were very hot, really hot, effing hot, and habanero.

LOL. - in I live in the Valley because I think the rest of Texas is too effing cold in the winter!

about 30 years ago i was dove hunting in the valley - rio grand city - and it was so hot the soles of my boots fell off in the field

about 30 years ago i was dove hunting in the valley - rio grand city - and it was so hot the soles of my boots fell off in the field

Yeah it's still really hot in September.

But hey - Rio Grande City - that would have been a dry heat!

LOL. - in I live in the Valley because I think the rest of Texas is too effing cold in the winter!
Our friends in Plano always had to make sure the pool was pumping when it was below zero. A small price to pay for former Canucks!

I think Texas suffers a little like Mexico. It is tough to say you don't like it if you have never experienced the many differing climates, geographies and cultures. I mean Plano vs Galveston vs Austin vs San Antonio? So diverse!

Alas, we only get one lege. I remember many years ago there was a Texas Monthly cover story about how Texas could break up into 5 different states. In that event, there would be a huge amount of diversity between the different states.

LOL. I hate it when we get a blue norther up here in North Texas and you guys are still in the 80s. Oh well, I guess I'll have to move. 😃

LOL. I hate it when we get a blue norther up here in North Texas and you guys are still in the 80s. Oh well, I guess I'll have to move. ��

LOL! Or some smart folks just come down here for the winter!

It is hard for me to conceive of anyone without close family in Texas or a compelling employment reason choosing to move to Texas.

I've enjoyed myself every time I've been to Texas, about a dozen trips, all for work. I like the people as well.

Could never conceive of living there, mostly due to climate and scenery. I'm not far from the limits of my ability to handle hot weather in suburban Washington, DC.

Reality is that my wife and I are both East Coast people. I realized some years ago that I would probably always live within a day's drive of where I was born in NYC.

Back
Top Bottom