Coronavirus - Health and preparedness aspects - II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last minute Walmart pickup. Put some powdered milk in the digital cart. SOme kinds sold out but some still in stock. This morning I get a note that no powdered milk available and no substitutes available. oh well.

The nonfat dry milk that I bought on Amazon last Sunday was out of stock within an hour after I ordered it, and it still hasn't shipped. My guess is that I'll have to cancel it, so I am especially glad I found some at my grocery store "in real life".

As for water, I really don't see the logic in it either! It's just one of those things that everybody online is doing so I thought there must be SOME reason for it. Sure, if the pandemic got so bad that none of the employees showed up at the water company to check the water quality and maintain the pumps, it could be a problem. We didn't have water and sewage service right after Katrina apparently because the pumps weren't working to provide water pressure due to electricity failures, and there was some problem with the backup generators (which apparently were never bought and put in place, but now they are supposedly there, uh huh, sure). But I agree that water service is unlikely to fail due to a pandemic. Also if things get that bad then I could always catch rain water and drink that instead. It rains a lot here. But I doubt I'd have to.

As for TP, if water is running, and if one does not have a bidet, one could always take frequent showers. It's not really a necessity. Still, I usually keep about 50 rolls of it in the house, simply because it does not go bad so why not.

I bought a 6L/min. O2 Concentrator. If hospitals don't have enough machines this could be a cheap ($300) insurance policy... These machines are pretty much all sold out on Amazon and other sellers.

Having done this, be sure to get a pulse oximeter too. You will need it for home care.

I wonder that in a case of a breakout, the hospital would allow patients to bring in personal equipment. In normal times, they would not even allow personal prescriptions because they wanted to be sure to know what the patients were taking.

A woman whose husband was in the nursing home in Washington State where the recent outbreak occurred protested outside the nursing home because she was not allowed in to see him. Hence, I figure bringing in personal supply or equipment will not be so easy.

Just saw a bulletin from a well-known internet publication* that the govt was giving serious consideration to tapping the STPR (Strategic Toilet Paper Reserve) to attempt to dampen panic buying.

* The Onion

Just saw a bulletin from a well-known internet publication* that the govt was giving serious consideration to tapping the STPR (Strategic Toilet Paper Reserve) to attempt to dampen panic buying.

* The Onion
Way back in the 1970s there was a TP scare that occurred. I think it was right about the same time as the oil embargo. I knew loggers who were cutting pole wood for Charmin, they weren't staying home. Nor was the plant experiencing issues.

Point is there was no shortage, only panic.

Sure enough:
https://priceonomics.com/the-great-toilet-paper-scare-of-1973/

For most Americans, 1973 was marred by shortages. In the year’s first few months, the stock market crashed and lost over 45% of its value -- one of the worst declines in history. In October, an Arab oil embargo sparked an ongoing crisis that saw gas rise from $3 per barrel to nearly $12 per barrel. Quietly, the U.S. spiraled into a period of economic stagnation and malaise it hadn't seen since the Great Depression (albeit, much less serious).

Getting the Mail Gets More Complicated

Everyone in the neighborhood touches their own mailbox. The mail carrier touches everyone's mailbox. The mail carrier touches my mail.

Stupid question: if I put the mail in the microwave, will that deactivate the virus? I'm thinking "no" because it isn't a polar molecule (like water), so won't get agitated / broken. But, from what I understand, the virus is usually in droplets (or droplets smeared on my cable bill), so the water in the droplet might get hot enough to bust the crown. I doubt the microwave is a solution, but it would be nice to find the academic paper that proves me wrong. Didn't search for it, though.

Everyone in the neighborhood touches their own mailbox. The mail carrier touches everyone's mailbox. The mail carrier touches my mail.

Stupid question: if I put the mail in the microwave, will that deactivate the virus? I'm thinking "no" because it isn't a polar molecule (like water), so won't get agitated / broken. But, from what I understand, the virus is usually in droplets (or droplets smeared on my cable bill), so the water in the droplet might get hot enough to bust the crown. I doubt the microwave is a solution, but it would be nice to find the academic paper that proves me wrong. Didn't search for it, though.

Microwave will burn your paper. I just saw a youtube video. A Chinese woman put money in microwave in hopes of killing the virus, but a minute later, money caught fire and all burned into ashes.

Having done this, be sure to get a pulse oximeter too. You will need it for home care.

I wonder that in a case of a breakout, the hospital would allow patients to bring in personal equipment. In normal times, they would not even allow personal prescriptions because they wanted to be sure to know what the patients were taking.

A woman whose husband was in the nursing home in Washington State where the recent outbreak occurred protested outside the nursing home because she was not allowed in to see him. Hence, I figure bringing in personal supply or equipment will not be so easy.

We have an O2 concentrator for home use (large one) and one portable one for travel (DC powered). These are for DW who has severe COPD. Big hospitals have centralized O2 supplies and one would not need a personal one if in Emergency Room or admitted. We never needed to bring ours when DW needed to go there.

O2 intake would not be the only problem if the CV gets the lungs compromised since the disease turns into pneumonia and maybe some other bad things.

Go buy a strong UV light and put the mail under that for a few minutes?

Or just wash your hands after you read your mail. I think you can drive yourself nuts worrying about things like this.

A post with a naked link was removed, along with some posts complaining about it.

If that's your concern, you should research building a UV sanitizing light box. They make them for sanitizing hearing aids, cell phones (!), and CPAP machines, from around $50-300 depending on the size and quality, but all you need is the right bulb and the ability to build a box. :)

Now I'm getting worried.

The word is spreading...

Attachments

• Corona.jpg
    Corona.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 214
According to a NY Post article, and now has exposed others!
Wondering if leaders in the US would/will resort to that if or when, covid-19 continues to spread. And would we adhere to it:confused: Kind of frightening that the person in NH did not.

I would be willing to bet there will be some knuckleheads who will not heed the self quarantine. There'll always be a few who feel "I have it, what do I care about anyone else?". Especially if they have a mild case. It won't be many (I hope) but it'll probably be enough to cause problems.

Or just wash your hands after you read your mail. I think you can drive yourself nuts worrying about things like this.
Or expend the nervous energy converting to digital statements only.

If that's your concern, you should research building a UV sanitizing light box. They make them for sanitizing hearing aids, cell phones (!), and CPAP machines, from around $50-300 depending on the size and quality, but all you need is the right bulb and the ability to build a box. :)

I would think, a person could use a sturdy cardboard box, with a light or two.
With a wire rack so a light fits under and one over the rack, to get mail from both sides.
Obviously not leave it on constantly due to heat build up.

Just don't do as this woman whom I spotted in the following video at 1:23. :nonono:

I posted this video early, which shows panic buying in Honolulu.

Or the man at about .15 in the first interior shot, with his hand right over his mouth.

I stocked up on the Cold-Eeze mentioned in an earlier post. A local supermarket still had a large supply and they were even on sale. They helped the last time I had a sore throat so I suspect in general getting enough zinc in my diet might help and won't hurt. Recent research also shows that gargling with warm salt water 3 times a day may decrease respiratory infections by 40%. I did that the last time DH was ill and didn't get sick myself. Salt water gargles, zinc lozenges, yogurt and avoiding sugar are some of our home remedies that seem to either help us when we have cold or flu symptoms.

What are your favorite home remedies or immune system boosters?

This article has some tips on how to attack viruses with herbs, spices and food -
https://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/herbal-remedies/natural-flu-remedies.htm

Avoidance in one factor, but if we do get the virus perhaps we can all up our odds of being in the mild case category.

Last edited:
As far most supplies goes, we are in pretty good shape because of the work I did last fall in creating a Cascadia earthquake/tsunami survival kit, which includes considerable first aid supplies, nearly 100 gallons of water and a lot of freeze-dried food (enough to last three people about 6 weeks). I suppose if the worst case occurs, we could break into that stash if the supply chain is broken badly enough. I don't think it will be, and I certainly hope it isn't, but at least we won't starve if the shelves are barren for a while.

A general suggestion is to not ignore your regular meal planning in all this. While stocking up on a greater amount of non-perishables and sundries, continue to buy the salad mix, fresh produce, dairy, etc. that you'd normally consume anyway. Just be mindful on what may only last a week vs. 2 weeks, etc.

Yesterday I bought a 24 oz. container of cottage cheese that's dated May 4th.

Has anyone read about the longer term effects of the Coronavirus? I was reading a posting that seemed to indicate it causes lung damage. This is fairly concerning as it would impact the quality of life for those who survive, even if the initial mortality rate is lower than the 3% or what have you.

As pointed out though, really there isn't much one can do with this information...

At the end of the day, just another thing in a long line of crappy things that are trying to kill you.

I would think, a person could use a sturdy cardboard box, with a light or two.
With a wire rack so a light fits under and one over the rack, to get mail from both sides.
Obviously not leave it on constantly due to heat build up.
Yep, this is pretty much what my BIL is doing. The prepping thing is not an obsession with him, more of a hobby. I was looking at the pre-built ones on Amazon because they may qualify as an FSA expense, and we only have a week or two to use the rest of the FY 2019 funds, so I was curious about them.

To handle the mail, why not just open it, discard the envelope, and wash your hands afterwards? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom