Coronavirus - Health aspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
If folks actually start hunting and eating squirrels as an important protein source in the U.S. hinterlands as a result of a worldwide viral epidemic (that we weren't discussing until around xmas 2019), I think we can safely label this event a "black swan"(?).

Eh, has anyone figured out how to disinfect the food that will be delivered to his doorstep?

I guess I would have to eat nothing but Cheezy Poofs and bagged cookies. Those were processed long before this virus came around. :D Worst cast scenario, I would have to start shooting the deer that hang around our back yard.

Although this would be a while since we have quite a bit of survival food that my Dad was so nice to bequeath to us.

Last edited:
I guess I would have to eat nothing but Cheezy Poofs and bagged cookies. Those were processed long before this virus came around. :D Worst cast scenario, I would have to start shooting the deer that hang around our back yard.

Although this would be a while since we have quite a bit of survival food that my Dad was so nice to bequeath to us.

I'm hoping the electricity stays on and we can eat all the half price day old pastries and ice cream in the freezer...

I would also quaff down 80-proof liquid as a disinfectant. Nothing anemic like the 14% stuff that our friend Winemaker uses.

The part that I am very concerned about is according to https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6, there have been 170 deaths and only 133 have totally recovered. If that ratio holds anything close to being true, we can ignore the 2 or 3% death rate we are seeing. I certainly hope it doesn't.

The official number of totally cured seems to be at odds with the Lancet numbers reported in post #224 above:

31 of the 99 had been released from hospital by 25 January

Apples and oranges, yes, but consider this: While 31 "released from hospital" out of the 99 reviewed cases doesn't necessarily mean they were cured, it does indicate substantially more favorable outcomes than the 133 "totally recovered" out of 7,000+ cases in the linked information.

Last edited:
The official number of totally cured seems to be at odds with the Lancet numbers reported in post #224 above:

Apples and oranges, yes, but consider this: While 31 "released from hospital" out of the 99 reviewed cases doesn't necessarily mean they were cured, it does indicate substantially more favorable outcomes than the 133 recovered out of 7,000+ cases in the linked information.

From what I read (I glanced thru that Lancet paper) it summarizes data from Jan 1 to Jan 20, 2020.

Just in case, stay out of the woods. I heard corona virus is related to lime disease. :cool:

Yes.

And to think that people drink Corona with lime. Double the danger. :nonono:

Or at least they used to. :cool:

corona-beer-beach.jpg

From what I read (I glanced thru that Lancet paper) it summarizes data from Jan 1 to Jan 20, 2020.

Yes, I agree. My point is the 31 "released from hospital" of the 99 cases reviewed during that time period indicates the recover rate may be far higher than the official numbers indicate. The 133 recovered out of more than 7,000 cases is draconian by comparison.

I figure I shook hands with death, and was given a raincheck, when I was hospitalized with sepsis nine months ago - with luck it won't be called any time soon.

In situations like this, I would keep in mind a quote from the movie Men in Black. To wit: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

We should do everything in our power to make sure that our collective response is not worse than the disease.

Yes, I agree. My point is the 31 "released from hospital" of the 99 cases reviewed during that time period indicates the recover rate may be far higher than the official numbers indicate. The 133 recovered out of more than 7,000 cases is draconian by comparison.

One can hope that is true. My point is from those who have completed the course of the virus, more than half have died.

The fate of the other 68 in that study of 99 was not yet determined at the time of that study. IIWM, it would be a good data point to follow up on them to see what became of them.

I have not seen a statistics on the average period a patient remains sick, then either dies or recovers.

The point is how long we need to wait to know the fatality rate from the people who are currently sick.

In situations like this, I would keep in mind a quote from the movie Men in Black. To wit: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

We should do everything in our power to make sure that our collective response is not worse than the disease.

+1.

Seeing the empty streets in various China cities, really drives home how people are holed up in their apartments.

I think next grocery shopping trip, I'll stock up on a few things that we eat anyhow, like a 20lb bag of rice, and a couple of cases of canned vegies, and various beans. We already have 12 of those lovely costco cans of chicken.

I'm leery of stocking the freezer as I just threw out everything in it as we returned from a 2 week trip to find the freezer door ajar by an inch and stuff inside soft.
(yes I could have hunted to the back to find still frozen items, but I still wouldn't know if it thawed and simply refroze).

I'm leery of stocking the freezer as I just threw out everything in it as we returned from a 2 week trip to find the freezer door ajar by an inch and stuff inside soft.
(yes I could have hunted to the back to find still frozen items, but I still wouldn't know if it thawed and simply refroze).

That happened to us a couple years ago. We have an upright freezer in our storeroom. I installed a hook latch (affixed by one of those sticky picture hangers) on the door. Whenever I open the freezer door I unlatch and relatch it. No more door ajar issues. Our new refrig freezer chimes when any door is open more than a couple of minutes.

Was planning on driving 80 miles to the d.c convention center on saturday for the car show. I have decided it isn't worth it. Fighting off a regular cold this week anyway. Plenty of honey dew stuff to accomplish anyway.

I have not seen a statistics on the average period a patient remains sick, then either dies or recovers.

The point is how long we need to wait to know the fatality rate from the people who are currently sick.

Yeah, this is a big piece of information that isn't clear. It also makes figuring out if it is spreading quickly beyond the original US cases impossible to determine. If it takes 2 weeks to develop symptoms, we won't know how many people caught it from the original 5 case for awhile.

So far, the only additional US case was a spouse of the one of the original five. That isn't very concerning, as they have probably been in close contact. If we find out in a couple of weeks that 50 people from the planes that the five flew to the US on have caught it, then we have a real worry.

It all boils down to just how easy this thing spreads. So far the only real information we have is coming 2nd/3rd hand from China. Not really anything I consider rock-solid either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom