Costco comments and questions

Just returned from Costco. Waved my card upon entry, as normal, and did my shopping. Went to the self-checkout, as normal, but for the first time ever I was asked to had my card to the attendant for checking my face against my picture.

Had I not read this thread I would have been surprised :).

In September 2023, while shopping at a Costco in Montana, I tried to use a screenshot of my membership card. No go. I had to open the Costco App on my phone and then the cashier could scan the electronic card. There was no check of my ID.
In November 2023, in the UK, I could not use a screen shot of my Trainline 2-for-1 discount card. Like Costco, I had to open the app and access the card. Somehow being able to share screenshots has been eliminated.

Last month, a man was trying to enter Costco as I was going in. He didn't have his card, and tried to wave the staff away "I'm just joining my wife she's inside" (yeah, no mate that's not how it works.)

The staff stopped him and insisted he needed a card.
Him, yelling, My Wife is 9 Months Pregnant and Needs My Help!
Could he call his wife? No?
He claimed he was LEAVING and all in a huff.
Then decided he's try plan A which was have them look up his card.

I hung around nearby as this was entertaining. After he was cleared, he walked around the store most decidedly not in a hurry to find his wife. When they did meet up she, while quite pregnant, did not look to be in need of any assistance other than to perhaps pick out dinner.

Sam's Club has not put a picture on my card in maybe three years.

Costco could have the member's photo pop up on the terminal screen, full size, when the card is scanned. The terminal could "ding" either out loud or in the monitoring employee's earpiece, so s/he could look and see if it matches the person. Except that the person is facing away by then.

Much of the time when I approach a checkout station (self or attended), someone will want to see the picture on my card to be sure it's me.

Neither our Costco or credit/debit cards have our photo on them. I dread going to Costco now and believe that emotion intensifying standing in line while the long line waits to have their cards scanned at the entrance.

Last edited:
Neither our Costco or credit/debit cards have our photo on them.

Are you sure about that?

Do I need to have my photograph on my membership card?
Your security is crucial to us. We recognize that identity theft is on the rise, and we want to make sure that you don’t have to deal with it. To better protect your account, we require your photo to appear on your membership card. Since the membership card is non-transferable, this acts as an extra security measure should your card ever get lost or stolen.
https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/860

Neither our Costco or credit/debit cards have our photo on them.
You’re the only person in the world without a picture on the back of your membership card.
Costco said:
Your security is crucial to us. We recognize that identity theft is on the rise, and we want to make sure that you don’t have to deal with it. To better protect your account, we require your photo to appear on your membership card. Since the membership card is non-transferable, this acts as an extra security measure should your card ever get lost or stolen.

Currently, they check that you have a card when you enter (but little else, just kinda wave it).

But at check out, particularly at self-check-out, they have been checking ID's lately when folks are in line. Your ID is on the back of the member card, and the back of the costco credit card. I don't even know if you can use cash at costco I've never tried. So apparently there has been a lot more "here take my card" - ala Netflix password sharing, than they'd like.

I don't know if I buy the theft angle - multiple reports from top retailers that made headlines this summer were proven to be false. And given how Costco already polices the departure process, you'd have to be pretty brazen to pick Costco to steal from vs. any other place.

I could use cash at Costco last year sometime when I was still a member.

You’re the only person in the world without a picture on the back of your membership card.

And no there is no picture on my card. I have not thrown it out but it is expired so I should. I wasn't sure if they'd reuse if I decide to rejoin or if they would issue a new one. Just have not cared enough to think about it.

Last edited:
Neither our Costco or credit/debit cards have our photo on them. I dread going to Costco now and believe that emotion intensifying standing in line while the long line waits to have their cards scanned at the entrance.

Perhaps your costco card was issued more than 8 years ago? That's when I got mine, and it's on the back.

The same photo was used when I got the costco citi visa. It's the only CC I have with my photo on it.

Mine is also 12 years ago with my black and white photo on back. These days I use the Costco Visa as by card and it has a tiny color photo of me on back.

Perhaps your costco card was issued more than 8 years ago? That's when I got mine, and it's on the back.

The same photo was used when I got the costco citi visa. It's the only CC I have with my photo on it.
They’ve had photos for much longer, but evidently a few people managed to get cards without photos, e.g. joined online and/or camera wasn’t available when they picked up their member card. It’s highly unusual, but not unheard of. If you have a card without a photo, you’re supposed to present it for a replacement at customer service. And if you have a card with no photo, Costco employees should ask for a photo ID too, clearly that hasn’t been happening in the past - but that may be changing.

Some people swear by anecdotal info…

Somehow I doubt that. We've been Costco members for at least 25-years. I renew on-line each year. Same card for all those years. No checker has refused the card even though they can clearly see the back when they scan it at the register. We'll see what happens this renewal period. We only buy three things at Costco...Duracell batteries, Christmas chocolates andtheur yummy coffee cake muffins...which they have only for a few weeks a year. I buy gas there only if I need it, if I"m close by and there aren't any lines.

They’ve had photos for much longer, but evidently a few people managed to get cards without photos, e.g. joined online and/or camera wasn’t available when they picked up their member card. It’s highly unusual, but not unheard of. If you have a card without a photo, you’re supposed to present it for a replacement at customer service. And if you have a card with no photo, Costco employees should ask for a photo ID too, clearly that hasn’t been happening in the past - but that may be changing.

Quite possible but it may take a while for us to get caught up in that. If I'm in a Costco more than twice a year it's an unusual year. The last time was about 3-weeks ago when we learned that their wonderful coffee cake muffins were in stock. I bought 6-trays for the freezer. :dance: They don't seem to regularly stock them. And neither the person looking at cards at the door nor the checkout checker said a word to me about needing a new card.

20+ years ago.

I think having a photo on a credit/debit card is a great idea. We only have 3 and one of those is in our safety deposit box as an 'emergency' card in case the others are lost or stolen. All are issued by major banks and none have our photo on them. I wonder why?

Last edited:
I got dinged buying items for my MIL. She is 92 & living alone. I always check to see what she needs. She gave me a CC to buy her stuff. The self check out scanner refused the card. An attendant came over & I told her what I was doing. Ended up I just put it all on my card and she wrote me a check.

A new wrinkle about a year ago is they stopped letting folks go in just for the food court (where the food court is inside). Our Costco is relatively close to the High school & kids would come over for $2 hot dog & drink. They (and myself sometimes) would walk in the out door & go to the food court or bathrooms. My guess is the stores are trying to collect better data on store traffic

Shopped at Costco this AM and went through self check-out. None of the Costco employees directing traffic and assisting with check-out asked to see my card or any other customer's card. I've never been asked for verification when checking out.

... A new wrinkle about a year ago is they stopped letting folks go in just for the food court Our Costco is relatively close to the High school & kids would come over for $2 hot dog & drink. ...
Makes perfect sense. The food court is a money loser intended to promote goodwill and store traffic. The last thing they want is freeloaders and ravenous high school kids.

Granted since I lapsed the membership (summer perhaps I don't remember date of last trip) IDK for sure but they never once asked my id despite lack of pic and paying cash or said there was anything wrong with it.

I don't shop there often though which is why I probably won't re-up. A lot of hassle and I am not that close to a location.

Last edited:
20+ years ago. I think having a photo on a credit/debit card is a great idea. We only have 3 and one of those is in our safety deposit box as an 'emergency' card in case the others are lost or stolen. All are issued by major banks and none have our photo on them. I wonder why?

Bank of America had a photo on my debit many years ago but when I needed a new card they didn't offer and I did not want.

Why would I want my photo in more databases which will be hacked? Not like anyone looks at it and card almost never leaves my hand.

Bank of America had a photo on my debit many years ago but when I needed a new card they didn't offer and I did not want.

Why would I want my photo in more databases which will be hacked? Not like anyone looks at it and card almost never leaves my hand.

True enough. I can't recall the last time I had to relinquish my CC to pay for anything.

Checking IDs at Costco and cracking down with scanners is clearly a new development, so it’s not a surprise many of us haven’t experienced it yet. We made a Costco run today, nothing has changed at our location yet either. We’ll all see…

We did notice they cracked down on letting people enter without showing a member card at the exit, where people entered for the food court etc. I’m sure that was another way non members were making purchases with cards they didn’t own. Like others, I’m not OK with members who lend out their cards. I blame them more than the non members who use them.

Last edited:
Checking IDs at Costco and cracking down with scanners is clearly a new development, so it’s not a surprise many of us haven’t experienced it yet. We made a Costco run today, nothing has changed at our location yet either. We’ll all see…

I'm not really sure what mine does. I try to avoid the self-service (would use it if they gave me a discount :D) and my Costco credit card , which has my picture on it, is considered my membership ID when the clerk asks for it. I always pay with my Fidelity Visa, also in my name. They may be quietly addressing cases at self-service when the names on the credit card and the membership card don't match but I doubt I'd notice.

Back
Top Bottom