Costco insurance

bobbyr

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone here use Costco for home or auto insurance? Just wondering if the price and experience were good.

We've had Allstate for sometime and feel sure that we would be renewed no problem if we had a big claim (we've had no claims on two homes and two cars for 10 years)... but I also feel the need to get some estimates to see how badly we are overpaying. We like costco for lots of things (credit card seems solid, travel seems like a good service, same with cars).

Feedback is appreciated.

The problem with homeowners is it's often difficult to get coverage without bundling cars.

Teaser rates start out, but in 3 years you'll be paying replacement value rates based on a house 150% more than your home is worth. Insurance companies say "our computer says that's what it would cost to rebuild." That's a lie in most cases.

I'm sure Costco is dealing with good insurance companies on their programs. But I've found insurance companies to be somewhat generic in most ways. And I've used most of the 6 largest insurance companies over the years.

Insurance is not a generic product. As I learned a few years ago when my automobile was totaled by another driver, insurance companies. Even mys own, didn't give 2¢ about me. The insurance company of the guy who hit my car and my own insurance company both handled the claim with a very cavalier disregard for my time, money, energy and discomfort. My agent was next to useless. (Example: my damaged auto sat in a yard somewhere for about two weeks, with nothing being done to evaluate the extent of the damage.)

During the Covid lockdown I spent some time researching insurance companies and I picked a company that has a very good reputation based upon surveys in Consumer Reports. I hope I never have to find out how they compare to my previous company. But, at least they seem to be better based upon the experience of others.

Last edited:
We use State Farm to avoid the experience Chuckanut had. They were great on a roof claim. While we have not had an auto claim, my son did and they treated him very well and were extremely responsive. I know they are not the cheapest, but I want great service when I need them.

I recommend you find a good independent agent who can search for and write policies on a number of carriers. Lots of highly rated carriers you do not even know, as they are not on TV. And some you do. Presently my carrier is Travellers.

Works well, you can develop rapport with agency and search for new insurance as often as you want.

And you can still shop them versus Geico and Progressive.

I recommend you find a good independent agent who can search for and write policies on a number of carriers. Lots of highly rated carriers you do not even know, as they are not on TV. And some you do. Presently my carrier is Travellers.

Works well, you can develop rapport with agency and search for new insurance as often as you want.

And you can still shop them versus Geico and Progressive.

excellent

After 20 years of no claims with State Farm I had an accident. They treated me poorly and raised my rates. I tried to work with them and keep my agent but he said it was "policy by corporate".

I tried Costco when they used Ameriprise which has recently switched to another name that I don't recall right now. I've been with Costco for ten years. Two major hail damage claims on cars and one on house. Needed new roof and siding on three sides. These were expensive claims.

They did not raise my rates, and they were a pleasure to work with. NO affiliation just a happy customer.

Here is the link for Costco insurance:

https://www.connectbyamfam.com/costco/

It looks like they now use a company called “Connect - Powered by American Family Insurance”. I’m not sure if this is a completely different company from Ameriprise or not.

In the past I’ve looked at Costco insurance when they were using Ameriprise but based on all of the negative feedback on Ameriprise financial services I was reluctant to try them. Admittedly I have no idea if their insurance practice is run in a similar manner to their financial services practice but the fact that they have such a bad reputation for financial services on this forum led me to stay away from them.

Here is the link for Costco insurance:

https://www.connectbyamfam.com/costco/

It looks like they now use a company called “Connect - Powered by American Family Insurance”. I’m not sure if this is a completely different company from Ameriprise or not.

In the past I’ve looked at Costco insurance when they were using Ameriprise but based on all of the negative feedback on Ameriprise financial services I was reluctant to try them. Admittedly I have no idea if their insurance practice is run in a similar manner to their financial services practice but the fact that they have such a bad reputation for financial services on this forum led me to stay away from them.
Same here. It looks like American Family is not Ameriprise.

https://www.amfam.com/about/our-story

I was very pleased with Erie Insurance purchased thru an independent broker. They don't insure in all states, though. Two HO claims in 20 yrs. Zero auto claims.

Back
Top Bottom