Costco Optical?

Thank you all for your helpful replies, DW and I are both planning on new specs in the next few weeks.

I'm on my second pair of Costco progressives. First pair the hinge broke after 2 years. I'll see how long this pair lasts.

I just bought my 11 year old granddaughter two pairs of glasses at Costco, and they ended up costing $100 each.

Young ladies require two sets of glasses--as they lose one pair just about every day.

I just bought my 11 year old granddaughter two pairs of glasses at Costco, and they ended up costing $100 each.

Young ladies require two sets of glasses--as they lose one pair just about every day.

I don’t think that’s limited to young ladies. My grandson would lose his butt if it wasn’t attached. He somehow lost his suit jacket. I’m sure if he wore glasses, we’d go broke.

+1 Costco Optical. Get a new set of Progressives every 3 years or so. Want to say I pay about $250 all in. Last time they had a 2 for 1 frame deal so I added progressive sun glasses. Opt for whatever coating they are using these days to protect from scratches. It makes your glasses last longer.

Do those responding also use the Costco optometrist for your eye exam?

I don’t have a straight forward prescription, and I have had issues getting a good prescription fit several times.

I don’t have a straight forward prescription, and I have had issues getting a good prescription fit several times.

I do not. I switch between exams at an ophthalmologist and an independent optometrist

The Costco optometrist is not actual costco. They are 3rd party docs, not costco employees. There's no direct sync between the eye doc and the optical department - ie, if you get your eye test and scrip done, you have to take that to the optical dept to get your lenses made.

So while it's convenient, the quality is going to be as good as any random eye doc.

We have used Costco Optical since it was available down here. They have a decent selection of quality frames for glasses, and their prices are great.

Just stopped by Costco Optical, thought I'd share the pricing they shared today:
  • Most frames $60-100, but I saw some for $150. Some name brands, but mostly not the big name/high fashion frames.
  • Progressive clear $129.99
  • Progressive transition $159.99
  • Progressive sunglasses $155.99
  • All lenses include scratch resistant coating - UV protection - blue light filtering
  • $30-50 discount off each additional pair of glasses after the first one, e.g. $30 off second pair, another $30 off third pair, etc.
We need one of each lens above, so we're looking at just over $600 including tax for 3 pairs for basic frames, though we may opt for slightly better lenses. They told me they could do sunglasses on any frame I select, other than non-prescription sunglasses which they also sell but they do not have any wrap around frame styles that can be fitted with prescription lenses. FWIW

Last edited:
Costco often has a deal with a deep discount on a second pair including prescription sunglasses.

I've brought my own prescription in, and I've also used the doctor there. It's always been seamless whichever route I've taken. And while someone mentioned the Optometrist there doesn't work for Costco, I imagine (but can't confirm) that they're pretty picky about who they let work inside the four walls. They're well known for good employees who they pay quite well, and I can't imagine them lowering their guard in this area.

A couple of you mentioned getting reading glasses at Costco Optical. Is there a reason you're not just using the ones you can buy at the drug store?

If you have astigmatism (the "Axis" correction on a prescription), you will want Rx readers.

My life changed when I got cheap readers from Zenni with the axis correction. It was incredible compared to the same power drug store versions.

The Costco optometrist is not actual costco. They are 3rd party docs, not costco employees. There's no direct sync between the eye doc and the optical department - ie, if you get your eye test and scrip done, you have to take that to the optical dept to get your lenses made.

So while it's convenient, the quality is going to be as good as any random eye doc.

Thanks. We've used Walmart before and it sounds like the same setup. Costco has a better selection of frames than Walmart and I would like to use an onsite optometrist because I anticipate I will probably need adjustments to get the prescription correct.

I've brought my own prescription in, and I've also used the doctor there. It's always been seamless whichever route I've taken. And while someone mentioned the Optometrist there doesn't work for Costco, I imagine (but can't confirm) that they're pretty picky about who they let work inside the four walls. They're well known for good employees who they pay quite well, and I can't imagine them lowering their guard in this area.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds as seamless as any other option.

Wife and I have purchased progressive glasses from Zenni for several years and have been very satisfied.

We tried Costco for the first time last year. Cost was about 2x Zenni and the quality appeared similar. The professional fitting adjustments and after purchase support with Costco are probably worth the extra cost for most people. I had an eyepiece break and it was quickly repaired at no cost. They made many adjustments on wifes glasses.

However, DW experienced problems with fogging in hot humid weather that no adjustments could correct. She purchased a similar high end pair from Zenni with the same Rx and the problem disappeared. I think Zenni has a superior anti fog coating.

We sign up every 5-7 years for a VSP insurance through DW's company and get updates to our prescriptions. Mine have not changed in 10+ years and I'm slightly nearsighted.

My recent experience I decided to not go to the normal guy & opt for a $10 copay exam @ Walmart and then went downstairs to get glasses @Sam's. Got a $80 credit on frames & free lenses (no frills).

All in $30. If I want new glasses, I've used many times greateyeglasses.com for $15-30 glasses too. DW has progressives and has similar concerns & chooses non-online options.

Costco has been great. A worker at Costco Optical turned me on to https://www.zennioptical.com/ when they didnt have what I was looking for

I can get a full pair of glasses with coatings etc for $45.
I only use Zenni. Got the recommendation here a long time ago. I spend about $80, maybe more. Titanium frames with progressives and magnetic shades.

I just bought a new pair of prescription sunglasses with titanium frames from Zenni for $53 including shipping and taxes. The crooked optical store wanted $320 and the price at Costco was $128 plus tax. We received our prescription our VSP covered glasses for $20 co-pay each from the crooked optical store. They were okay quality but would not be worth the full price without VSP coverage.

A couple of you mentioned getting reading glasses at Costco Optical. Is there a reason you're not just using the ones you can buy at the drug store?

I have mono vision- one eye sees up close the other distance. I used to be able to get away without reading glasses but the older I get the harder that is, therefore prescription readers.

I just got three pair of prescription glasses from Costco last month. Sunglasses, regular distance glasses, and a pair of reading glasses. $300. I brought the prescription with me.
Last year I bought 2 pair- 1 bi focal and one reader at my optometrist office. It was approximately $600- after insurance.
I’ll be going to Costco from now on although I might try Zenni’s.

For those that use progressives- were they hard to get used to? I tried them once and could just not adjust to them but they sure would make my life easier.

For those that use progressives- were they hard to get used to? I tried them once and could just not adjust to them but they sure would make my life easier.

I tried progressives about 7 years ago. It was a disaster. I got hosed by my optometrist for a charge of like $500. They did not work well. But they were fashionable.

Fast forward to last week. I finally gave progressives a try again. The glasses I bought were safety glasses from Zenni. Since they were safety, they cost me about $100 (extra hard glass).

They are fantastic!

Here's what I discovered. My old fashionable glasses had a small glass area. These new glasses look like they are right out of 1983. Huge glass area. This makes the progressive areas spread very far across the viewing area. They work great and are perfect for my usage. I kept having to take off my reading vision safety glasses (used for sawing) before walking. Safety glasses not on the face are not safe. Now I can just keep them on and transition from the power saw to walking without worry.

Give Zenni progressives a try. (Or maybe Costco.) You don't have a lot to lose. Choose a frame style that allows a decently sized lens.

Last edited:
It looks like none of our 2023 ACA plans are offering vision, so I might be trying out this Costco Optical for eye exam. It sounds reasonably priced.

I tried progressives about 7 years ago. It was a disaster. I got hosed by my optometrist for a charge of like $500. They did not work well. But they were fashionable.

Fast forward to last week. I finally gave progressives a try again. The glasses I bought were safety glasses from Zenni. Since they were safety, they cost me about $100 (extra hard glass).

They are fantastic!

Here's what I discovered. My old fashionable glasses had a small glass area. These new glasses look like they are right out of 1983. Huge glass area. This makes the progressive areas spread very far across the viewing area. They work great and are perfect for my usage. I kept having to take off my reading vision safety glasses (used for sawing) before walking. Safety glasses not on the face are not safe. Now I can just keep them on and transition from the power saw to walking without worry.

Give Zenni progressives a try. (Or maybe Costco.) You don't have a lot to lose. Choose a frame style that allows a decently sized lens.

I am going to try progressives again with larger glasses. That’s a great idea, thanks!
I really like Costco sunglasses but I think it’s because I get the large frames so it blocks more of the sun. Last year I got larger frames for reading glasses and love those. Might be the ticket for progressives.

My husband and I both bought ours on Glasses USA. Com . Both of us have progressives and use transition lenses plus all the special coatings on the lenses.

Great frame selection that you can try on your uploaded photo. Fast delivery. Half the price of the eye doc’s office store. Very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom