Costco Optical?

I've been using Costco....

for prescription progressive glasses and sunglasses for 10 plus years. I never had a problem with the glasses or the frames.

I used Costco Optical for the first time a few weeks. I was very satisfied with the Costco eye exam. I also bought the progressive lenses, but I had them put in new frames that I had bought before since they were on sale and I liked the style. Although the eye exam office was located in the Costco store they were a private company called Dunwoody Eyecare. I was surprised that Medicare covered part of exam.
$25.00-P92004 COMPREHENSIVE EXAM, NEW PATIENT (was $160.00)
$40.00-P92250 FUNDUS PHOTOS (was $40.00)
$0.00-P92015 REFRACTION (was $25.00, not needed with photos)
$65.00-Total (was $225.00) After the eye exam I went to purchase my new lenses. I bought the New Kirkland Signature™ HD Progressive Lenses
$9.99-Polish lens edge not attached by metal
$25.00-My frame std charge to put the lens in.
$129.00-Prog, Bif Dg 1.60 W/ar KS HD 1.60 Clear Ar lens
$0.00-Tax
$164.98-Total They did charge extra since I brought my own new frame. I received a call two weeks later to pick them up. It has been seven years since my last eye exam and new lens. I was impressed with the new technology.
Kirkland Signature™ HD Progressive Lenses:
The latest manufacturing technology available delivers
high-definition vision at any distance
Includes Anti-Reflective Treatment
Custom-made lens for your prescription and selection
Offers a larger reading area and less distortion than standard lenses
Quality and value
Anti-reflective Lens

DH and I both use Costco. I have progressives and they’ve been fine. Yes, frame selection isn’t as varied or as cool, but the pricing can’t be beat and the service is great too. Two thumbs up here.

I bought my glasses at Costco for a number of years and have been more pleased with them than the previous optical stores. The frames were no different just less expensive and the quality of lens was better. I probably saved around $1k during that time. Just a few months ago I had cataract surgery so now I just use Costco reading glasses (about $10) for the really small print and close up work and Costco sunglasses (about $20) for driving and walking the beach.

Cheers!

Here is what I was told by a very good ophthalmologist’s glasses person. Costco is buying old stock. Last year’s models. It is impossible to get parts. So you buy a pair of Costco glasses, and somehow the dog gets them and chews up the temple piece? You’re going to have to buy a new pair of glasses. And some people are just really hard on glasses and take them back for fixes a lot.

Other than that Costco glasses were fine. The last time I paid for glasses at the ophthalmologists, I paid over $900 for the frames, and the verilux lenses and coatings. I believe the lenses were 600 some odd dollars, the frames were 260.

I had to make a choice. And I am not hard on my glasses. At one point one of my cats liked to takeoff with them in the middle of the night so I started putting them in the case, and the case got put in the drawer of my nightstand. So now I get a pair frames for around 60 bucks, and progressive lenses are like 150 bucks the coatings are free. It’s just worth it to go to Costco.

I have to be honest, the last time I went to Costco in California my glasses were a messed up. I didn’t notice it because my eyes sort of acclimated. But I chose very bad glasses.

Every time I put them down I couldn’t see to find them. They disappeared, because they were very fine metal frames. And literally my eyes are bad enough that if I can’t see my glasses I can’t find my glasses. And I moved cross country. So unpacking boxes, I take my glasses off. And then I couldn’t find them because I had moved around the new house putting things away and the glass is simply say it into the background of whatever they were on.

So I decided to go get another pair of glasses. The difference was night and day. That’s what I realized the prescription was screwed up, or they measured wrong. New glasses sharp and clear, old glasses wavy and the world was a little tilted. Ended with going up and getting sunglasses, because I use the clips and I figured I could wear my old glasses and sunglasses and just leave them in the car. And the more I wore the good glasses, the worse the old glasses got.

Here is what I was told by a very good ophthalmologist’s glasses person. Costco is buying old stock. Last year’s models. It is impossible to get parts.
That's the kind of rumor I would spread if I worked at a competing ophthalmologist.

I have to be honest, the last time I went to Costco in California my glasses were a messed up. I didn’t notice it because my eyes sort of acclimated. But I chose very bad glasses.

Every time I put them down I couldn’t see to find them. They disappeared, because they were very fine metal frames. And literally my eyes are bad enough that if I can’t see my glasses I can’t find my glasses. And I moved cross country. So unpacking boxes, I take my glasses off. And then I couldn’t find them because I had moved around the new house putting things away and the glass is simply say it into the background of whatever they were on.

This can happen at your local optometrist. DW's first try at progressives were a complete mess. One lens was upside down or something. She tried them on at pickup and said it felt bad. "You just need to adjust" they told her. Took them home, kept trying, so she called in and they insisted she give them another week to adjust. She tried so hard, suffering. They were basically blowing her off.

She finally marched into the office and asked for a check. They were aghast at the mistake.

So she pays $600 and one would expect a Q.A. check, but no.

Here is what I was told by a very good ophthalmologist’s glasses person. Costco is buying old stock. Last year’s models...

When I hear comments from a competitor I usually take it with a "grain of salt". After a few decades of wearing glasses I couldn't see a difference in frame designs between Costco and any other provider of glasses. Most of the Costco frames are designer frames anyway and there are a lot of choices. Frames like anything else are subject to "new models" that often don't look much different or are a reissue from a few years ago. The "latest and greatest" is usually just a tired old marketing pitch.

Cheers!

That's the kind of rumor I would spread if I worked at a competing ophthalmologist.

In this case, I was going to an ophthalmologist for an oddball eye condition that I never did figure out what it was, and worse than that apparently raises its head about every 9 or 10 months. The fix appears to be using RePhresh drops in the daily vials. For about 10 days. Apparently they don’t have any preservatives. But the first time I had whatever it was it was months before it went away.

I told my ophthalmologist that I was playing stump the ophthalmologist and I won. The price was a very red itchy eye.

And the lady who ran the frame department, was not selling me on anything. She answered my question if they were a good quality.

I do know that in things that don’t matter, often Costco gets year old goods. Their furniture is all last year stuff. They get it at a great price, and they pass that onto us. So it makes sense they do that with glasses, too. I was told this probably about eight years ago, and I remember trying to find my glasses online, and finding them listed but as out of stock. My assumption was that the lady wasn’t lying. But as I said before it doesn’t really matter, as a general rule I am very easy on my glasses.

Last edited:
Been using Costco for glasses for about five years and am very happy with them...

FWIW, the computer glasses are designed for computer usage. The have a blue light filter and the progressive is set more toward the bottom for the reading glasses part. They work very well for me even now that I’m not sitting in front of a computer like I used to at work. For me, they are primarily reading glasses since I can see distance without glasses. However, close and mid range, I need glasses.

I got my glasses for $130 and they are the better lenses with scratch resistance and blue light filtering.

If person does not wear glasses, does Costco make computer glasses (blue light and scratch resistant) with NO prescription?*
Does it cost any less?

*still w*rking and look at computer monitor(s) many hours a day.

... Costco is buying old stock. Last year’s models. It is impossible to get parts. So you buy a pair of Costco glasses, and somehow the dog gets them and chews up the temple piece? You’re going to have to buy a new pair of glasses. ...
This is what's called a "ghost story," designed to make consumers wary of a competitor. When you think of it, it isn't even logical. With Costco's huge volume, they could not possibly be selling out of a random inventory of old stock. With their buying power, too, you can bet that suppliers are standing in line to pitch style, quality, and price to the optical department buyers.

I just worked through a similar ghost story. We are buying a kitchen faucet for a new house and there is a Moen model that we like. It is $100 more expensive from the plumber's supply warehose than it is from Home Depot. Both the plumber and the GC have bought the ghost story that Moen uses more plastic internal parts in the HD version versus the more expensive model. Again, not logical. Moen is not going to jeopardize their reputation by shipping lower quality products to HD's mass market. HD would not stand for it. Just for grins, I called Moen and was told that the products are the same. Believe it or not, but it makes sense.

I've used Costco for years with good results, but have now gone to Zenni which I like even more.

I tried progressives years ago and could not ever adjust to them. I’m encouraged by the people here who have been successful with them by using larger frames.I think I’m going to try them this time.

Recently got eye exam, new frames and progressive lenses at costco. Our MA BC/BS PPO insurance has VSP so the total cost for everything was $70.
My previous glasses at our optometrist was $900.
The new glasses work well.

I need to replace my prescription progressive glasses and sunglasses. I don’t want to pay full $$$$ retail from a local shop, went to one and they basically would not tell me what glasses would cost? After their run around I gave up and left. And I don’t trust online for progressives as they do require more measurements for good fit. So have any of you done progressives at Costco, and had a good or bad experience? I know the Costco frame selection is more limited, but I can live with that as I read the cost appears to be about half compared to local eye clinics.

We have used Costco optical for progressive lenses for the last 15 years which includes at least 10 sets of lenses between the two of us. Good quality and excellent features and price. DH had an issue with the last set of lenses. Sweet spot not quite right. They remade them for free. First time that has ever happened but they made it right.

... Costco is buying old stock. Last year’s models. It is impossible to get parts. So you buy a pair of Costco glasses, and somehow the dog gets them and chews up the temple piece? You’re going to have to buy a new pair of glasses. ...

All I know is that this can’t be universally true. I’ve found a frame I really like at Costco and I have bought that frame three times in the last five years.

If person does not wear glasses, does Costco make computer glasses (blue light and scratch resistant) with NO prescription?*
Does it cost any less?

*still w*rking and look at computer monitor(s) many hours a day.

I’m sure they could. However, this is a case where I’d have no concerns about buying on line and I suspect it would be much less expensive. I know for sure there are all kinds of blue light glasses without prescription. I don’t think it would be too hard to get a pair that also has scratch resistance.

It looks like none of our 2023 ACA plans are offering vision, so I might be trying out this Costco Optical for eye exam. It sounds reasonably priced.

I used the on-site optometrist at the Aurora Village Costco in Shoreline when I was back home visiting and I recommend you don't use them unless there is a new group since Jan 2019. The optometrist who did my exam made such a mess of things that I had to get a new exam back in FL. The new glasses I had made in FL had to be remade but Costco didn't charge me when I explained what had happened. Also, I was able to get a refund for the new eye exam. On the other hand, the optometrists that I and DH use at our local Costco in FL have always done a great job.

Also, I believe at Costco you have 30 days to return your frames and lenses for a refund if you don't like them.

Regarding progressives and lens size...

I hope the attached picture helps. Top are my new "DB Cooper" safety glasses. Ignore the side wings, that's part of safety. Compare to more stylish lens size below. Although the bottom are not actual progressives, they are the style I previously tried progressives on. Those did not work for me. The new large ones are so much better as progressives. There's a lot of vertical distance to spread out the progressive change. The change is gradual. I do sometimes have to do a head tilt or scootch up for reading. That's OK, reading is a calm activity where you have time to mess with the glasses.

I'm not 100% in love with progressives, even with these large lenses, but it is workable, and perhaps I'm getting used to them. I wore them for 4 hours straight yesterday while doing yard work and actually forgot I had them on. That says something.

Attachments

• glasses.jpg
    glasses.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 33
Trusted

I'm a Costco GM and have worked for Costco for 33 years. Our Optical Dept has been rated number 1 by Consumer Reports for many years, not only for price, but also service. It is the only place I have purchased them for 20+ years. I would have to say our selection is pretty darn good as we try to carry only the top sellers. Good luck.

Here's what I discovered. My old fashionable glasses had a small glass area. These new glasses look like they are right out of 1983. Huge glass area. This makes the progressive areas spread very far across the viewing area. They work great and are perfect for my usage. I kept having to take off my reading vision safety glasses (used for sawing) before walking. Safety glasses not on the face are not safe. Now I can just keep them on and transition from the power saw to walking without worry.

Give Zenni progressives a try. (Or maybe Costco.)
Regarding progressives and lens size...

I hope the attached picture helps. Top are my new "DB Cooper" safety glasses. Ignore the side wings, that's part of safety. Compare to more stylish lens size below. Although the bottom are not actual progressives, they are the style I previously tried progressives on. Those did not work for me. The new large ones are so much better as progressives. There's a lot of vertical distance to spread out the progressive change. The change is gradual. I do sometimes have to do a head tilt or scootch up for reading. That's OK, reading is a calm activity where you have time to mess with the glasses.

I'm not 100% in love with progressives, even with these large lenses, but it is workable, and perhaps I'm getting used to them. I wore them for 4 hours straight yesterday while doing yard work and actually forgot I had them on. That says something.

The first time you get progressive lenses there is an adaptation period, usually 5 to 7 days. After that you won't notice it anymore. I remember the first time I got progressives I was freaking out when going down stairs and looking at my feet.

Zenni will not let you buy progressive lenses with less than a 32mm lens height. Most other places will. Less than 32mm in lens height leads to very small progressive areas on the lens. I try to buy eyeglass frames for everyday wearing that are at least 34mm in height; sunglasses I get even taller lenses--38mm or 40mm (yes, I buy progressives for sunglasses. Why not since they are inexpensive from Zenni?)

When I got my last batch of glasses from Zenni (everyday, sunglasses, computer) I noticed they now offer the option of wide corridor progressive lenses. (these are sometimes called "comfort progressives".) I got the wide corridor for everyday glasses, but opted for the usual progressive lenses for the sunglasses and computer glasses.

About 15 years ago I tried progressive lens and couldn’t get used to them. I went back to correction for distance only. I’m considering giving progressives another try. Currently, I only wear my glasses when I need them for distance. The first thing I do when I walk in my house is take my glasses off.

I do notice an issue with “distance only” when I’m shopping. I have to take my glasses off to read price tags or ingredient lists in the grocery store. I can’t stand to wear my glasses when I’m eating so I always take my glasses off in restaurants.

I’m considering trying progressives at Costco and maybe trying online for a pair of backup distance only glasses. My eyes are very different, extremely nearsighted in one and moderately nearsighted in the other. I still have good close vision in my extremely nearsighted eye.

About 15 years ago I tried progressive lens and couldn’t get used to them.

Progressives always worked extremely well for me, but DW had a lot of trouble adjusting when she first tried them.

She went back to the eye doc and told them, and their advice was interesting. They said to spend an hour or so walking up and down the aisles in a supermarket, reading the packages from top shelf down to bottom.

She tried that, and after doing it for 2-3 days, an hour a day, she was perfectly comfortable with them forever.

It's definitely an adjustment for some people, but well worth the effort IMO.

That’s interesting advice since the situation where I think progressives would be helpful is shopping. I will try that. Hey, I’ll be grocery shopping anyway.

About 15 years ago I tried progressive lens and couldn’t get used to them. ... I’m considering giving progressives another try. ...
I think things have improved. I also tried progressives years ago and hated them. The sweet spot was pretty narrow and I couldn't read a newspaper without scanning with my head.

A month or two ago I decided to give progressives another try. I ordered Zenni's premium progressives, said to have a sweet spot 40% wider. They are great! I haven't picked up my old trifocals since I put these on. They have also eliminated my need for computer-distance glasses and they make sorting the mail and other similar distance tasks easy as well. Newspaper reading is still better with my reading-distance glasses, though. Probably just because the size of the newspaper page means I am not usually looking through the sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom