Covid and planes

We don’t fly much, but we’ll be masking up for the foreseeable future. We have not contracted Covid after flying so far. We both got Covid at a crowded street fest last May, actually I got it and gave it to DW best we can tell. Wasn’t that bad for us (both vaxxed and twice boosted) but still no fun. We still mask up in theaters, shopping and any crowded public places especially indoors. The only exception is we don’t wear masks to restaurants, seems pointless. Masks seem like a simple precaution to us, definitely reduces exposures, so why not? But I’d guess only 5-10% of the population is still using masks, and that’s their choice.

Last edited:
We have flown multiple times every year since the outbreak. We always wore properly fitted N95 masks and never contracted COVID. We will continue to wear N95 masks on flights especially during flu season.

+1.

DW and I are flying to Chile, then Argentina, then Antarctica in a few weeks. We plan to avoid groups leading up to the trips and wear masks during the transportation phase. Once on the boat we will loosen up a bit. All passengers have to be tested before boarding but s*** happens so we have to accept the risk. We got a second bivalent booster last week. Everything I have read convinces me that the extra booster will be less effective than previous shots but will have some immunity priming benefits that could improve our odds of a successful trip.

Most people don’t realize that the aircraft air is not filtered during boarding and deplaning which is precisely when people are crammed together the most. Also, no matter how good the filtered air, I would not want to be sitting right next to a contagious person for several hours.

I’ve heard of several people coming down with Covid right after a trip, and I suspect that the exposure occurred during their travel home.
Yes. The jetway and the loading/unloading times seem risky. Same with rental car bus. And when someone speaks to you from close proximity.

And to your point, DW came down with covid right after a flight back from the islands. Everything we did on the trip was outside and low risk. But she sat next to a young kid whose family had travelled there for a wedding. Her years as a counselor of kids his age took over and she talked to him the whole way back.

I suspect that is where she got it.

My tack is always to stay away from people (this is probably most critical) and stay masked the whole time with a KN95 mask.

(Ugh, hate talking about this. We have some travel coming up with multiple flight legs and now I am thinking about it)

I'm wondering how well the sanitary tanks are flushed when they drain them at the airport. Could trace amounts of the virus remain in the tank for multiple flights?
It's a good point. Or maybe those virus fragments remain for weeks or months in our digestive system even if not sick.

Hmm.... I've re-thought my decision. You folks have convinced me. In the future, I think I will wear a good mask in the airport and even on the plane. No point arriving at my destination with an infection whether it is a cold, flu or covid.

I'll throw in some more anecdata.

We kept traveling through 2020-now--only 5 months in 2020, 6+ months in 21 and 22. Only wore masks when forced to do so; never wore an N95, and became very good at slowly devouring snacks on airplanes. Many international flights, plus domestics to and in Alaska.

We were overjoyed when mask mandate on planes went away for the US; why be uncomfortable on an overseas, overnight flight unless you have to be?

Given our travel schedule throughout, and our nonmasking, we probably deserved to get C-19. But, to the best of our knowledge, we haven't. (And, yes, we are vaccinated, out of concern for when we visit our elderly parents.)

More power to those who aren't bothered by wearing masks.

So many think the only purpose of wearing a mask on a plane is to stop them from catching something but the real benefit is probably stopping those that are infected from spreading what they have, and many of them don't have symptoms of being infected so don't know it.

Everything I have read indicates that commercial aircraft air is very safe. I am far more worried about being in a crowded store or business office than a modern commercial jet plane.

Ah, yes...the airline press releases. ;)

I got it last May after airline travel...about a week after the return trip. I have another trip coming up this month and will probably wear a mask. Thankfully, it's a fairly short trip so not much of a bother. However, a trip to Alaska in May it would be bothersome to wear on the long trip. Hopefully, COVID and flu numbers will be much lower then so I will probably not mask.

Last edited:
Call me overcautious, but when I have to fly these days I wear the mask non-stop - no breaks for eating/drinking. I also make sure I get a window seat. But hey, I'm the lone nut you still see wearing a mask in the grocery store so what do I know?

We have flown several times each year in 2020, 2021, and 2022. We are comfortable flying and am fine with wearing masks (KF94/KN95/N95) on flights. It seems the only ones who mind are the folks who want to talk during a flight. That is not me :).

I traveled frequently to Asia while working, before the pandemic, and masking on public transportation was not uncommon, due in part to their bird flu experiences. It made sense to me. In general the exposure to all sorts of respiratory illness makes wearing a mask not a strange thing.

But, as COcheesehead said, if you are going to get it, you are going to get it. In the days before DW and I got it, the largest gathering we were at was a group of 8 folks. We caught in one of several environment that were much less crowded than an airplane or public transportation.

Same, several international trips in 2021 and 2022. So far no infections.

I remember various studies of covid spread on flights. It's not predictable, like the one infectious person infecting everyone around him or her. It would be like some people several rows in front or behind but not the ones immediately next to.

Now the dominant variant is said to bind more effectively to cells, compared to previous variants. So the implication is that infections one might have been able to avoid previously, that may no longer be the case.

Saw a headline that the WHO is asking for masking on flights again. Or maybe they were just recommending individuals to mask.

Call me overcautious, but when I have to fly these days I wear the mask non-stop - no breaks for eating/drinking. I also make sure I get a window seat. But hey, I'm the lone nut you still see wearing a mask in the grocery store so what do I know?

I eat and drink on flights. Have to, since some of these flights are more than 10 hours long.

I've slept with N95 masks on flights.

I've slept with N95 masks on flights.

Side benefit, you don't wake up and realize you were open-mouth snoring on your seat partner!

I just flew and did not wear my mask the whole time. Within a few days I had a nasty head cold, which is what I would always catch pre Covid. After this, I am going to wear my mask like I did during Covid. I flew quite a few times during those years and did not catch anything.

My brother in law just contracted COVID for the 3rd time in 18 months. I know he was vaxxed at some point, but not sure about his booster status or mask wearing status. All 3 infections were diagnosed directly after airline travel - never in between trips.

I have flown 3 times in the last 12 months as well. I did not mask and no issues with catching a cold, flu or Covid. I did catch a cold from my FIL in December.

DH and I are flying to Europe in May and will mask up for the flights and airports. Partly for comfort but also partly to have some additional separation from strangers, we opted for premium economy seating (larger seats and no third person next to us bumping elbows.) Our fingers are crossed that at least I (71 y.o.) will be able to get a second bivalent shot a couple of weeks prior to the trip.

I had to take flights in February between Salt Lake City and Seattle and was surprised that hardly anyone in either airport was masked. Probably about 1% of those I saw, at most. And almost nobody on the (full) planes wore a mask, in either direction.

No idea if that's typical around the country, but I certainly didn't expect it.

Getting ready for a trip to Mazatlan in a week, will mask in the airports and on the planes.
When I return will be heading out 10 days later for a month in Italy. Will mask in airports and planes.
I had an in-person meeting last week, this week, and will have the same meetings in between my Mexico and Italy adventures... Will mask for these meetings. My one case of covid was right after one of these community meetings.

Husband chose not to wear his mask on the return trip from Ecuador last November. 2 days after our return he tested positive. I wore my mask and didn't get it. So now we've both gotten it once, so we know we're not immune.

(That said our oldest son has a public facing job - grocery store cashier - and attends college full time, in person... he has yet to get covid. I suspect he is one of those naturally immune types.)

Flew to Las Vegas last fall. We didn't wear masks, nor did anyone else on the plane that I can remember. Very few masks in Chicago and Las Vegas airports back then. Flying to Phoenix in a few weeks and won't be wearing a mask. DW and I have had 3 jabs, skipped the 4th, and neither of us have had Covid.

We just returned from the World Baseball Classic in Miami. Very few masks on the plane or anywhere for that matter.

We did not wear masks on our recent flights to, from, and within Australia. Also not to/from flights between CA and GA. Did not see many masks in any of the airports either. Neither DH nor I became ill. We got two boosters but skipped #3.

I am going to Europe Saturday and won’t be wearing a mask. I had the first 3 vaccines and am done.

Back
Top Bottom