Potential drugs to treat Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
We've all heard the reports about the clinical testing involving chloroquine and Remdesivir as treatments for Covid-19. Here is a new one under study:

Head lice drug emerges as potential coronavirus treatment, studies show

The latest surprising lead for researchers is an antiparasitic drug called ivermectin, sometimes used to treat head lice.

Research into the drug’s viability in treating COVID-19 is still in its early stages – far too soon to call it a breakthrough. But with the emergence of two preliminary studies yielding promising results, experts are expressing cautious optimism.

“We found that even a single dose could essentially remove all viral RNA by 48 hours and that even at 24 hours there was a really significant reduction in it,” said Dr. Kylie Wagstaff, the leader of the team from Melbourne’s Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute.

The coronavirus is not a parasite, but experts suggest that the drug essentially treats it like one and blocks the viral RNA from invading healthy cells. Unable to enter the cell, the RNA is slowed from replicating, giving the patient's immune system more time to fight it off.

The Monash study took place at the cellular level, or in vitro. The next step, authors note, is “to determine the correct human dosage – ensuring the doses shown to effectively treat the virus in vitro are safe for humans.”

Yeah, but I worry about whether (if this works) we'll be able to get access to it. Seems like scalpers would buy up the supply.

Ivermectin is a anti-parasitic drug commonly used by veterinarians. Your vet should have an ample supply.

Never thought a drug treatment thread could be funny. I was wrong. Making me laugh till my head explodes.

Can I order this stuff from aquarium supply companies?

In times of desperation people will believe just about anything...correction...anything.

I'm glad we just replenished the dogs supply.

Some of you really BUG me.

And why would they have a drug to kill just the HEAD lice, and leave the WORKER lice live?

Quite licentious isn't it?

This study is completely useless. It's in a test tube with a dose that's more than 100 times the mg per kg to treat worms. Anything in high enough concentration would probably inhibit the virus in vivo.

Maybe? - Maybe not?

From the paper

Importantly, recent reviews and meta-analysis indicate that high dose ivermectin has comparable safety as the standard low-dose treatment, although there is not enough evidence to make conclusions about the safety profile in pregnancy28,29. The critical next step in further evaluation for possible benefit in COVID-19 patients will be to examine a multiple addition dosing regimen

I am certainly interested in monitoring this development.

Hopefully the fact that there are generic versions of this available will not curtail development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom