Covid cruise ship just docked in New Orleans

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
I hope this post follows all the rules! I just re-read them and I *think* it is OK, but will be super understanding if it has to be taken down. Anyway, here goes:

A cruise ship whose passengers include at least 10 confirmed cases of Covid, has just docked here in New Orleans. More cases are expected to be found once they start testing the rest of the passengers on the ship.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavi...-new-orleans-1f8edb74567df1abdbc29161d800056f

So far, Frank and I have no plans to go out of the house today. I am hoping that I can persuade him to stay home for a few days but that is probably a losing proposition.

Yeah, cruises remain a tough well. Just not set up for distancing.

I'm out a lot but no plans to cruise.

Reactions: W2R
Cruise ships or not, community spread of the Omicron strain already occurs throughout the US. If you want to reduce risk, it will take more than staying home for a few days.

Are we ready to go back to curtail being outside of our home to the level we practiced prior to vaccination? And take the same precautionary measures? I suspect people will be more lax, and say "To heck with it. If I die, I die".

I love cruises but don’t see going anytime soon.

The Love Boat soon will be coming your way...

Are we ready to go back to curtail being outside of our home to the level we practiced prior to vaccination? And take the same precautionary measures? I suspect people will be more lax, and say "To heck with it. If I die, I die".

Sadly, we are curtailing things like attending concerts, which we were just starting to enjoy again, and we’re wearing masks in stores again. And we’re triple vaxxed. That’s kind of our own sweet spot and comfort zone.

I don’t think anyone in power that I’ve heard on TV, including the head of the NIH on Friday’s News Hour, is in favor of lockdowns again, though, so I don’t see the U.S. going back to that level of precautionary measures.

Cruise ships or not, community spread of the Omicron strain already occurs throughout the US. If you want to reduce risk, it will take more than staying home for a few days.

Unfortunately, it's more like "To heck with it. If YOU die, YOU die." Most people who have that kind of attitude think they'll survive a case, and they're probably right...just like you'd probably survive driving while under the influence.

Sadly, we are curtailing things like attending concerts, which we were just starting to enjoy again, and we’re wearing masks in stores again. And we’re triple vaxxed. That’s kind of our own sweet spot and comfort zone.
Same here; I went to visit friends a few times, even after Delta became predominant, and that helped me dispel the isolation blues, so now we're going back to less contact. We are doing holidays indoors with my MIL, as we're all vaccinated and we'll be restricting contact even more before we get together.

I always thought that cruise ships were a germ cesspool anyway--no way I would get on one now.

So these are all breakthrough cases? Cruise line says all were required to be vaccinated 2 weeks prior to boarding.
Very sad/frustrating if folks lied, and concerning if they are breakthrough, although we know that can happen. So far, no one reported seriously ill or hospitalized from the cruise, so that is good.

I've been tempted by some cruises, some offers are very low cost for balcony.

I even emailed one of the ABC islands to see about their rules, as they have rules for airplane arrival, but no mention of ships. They didn't reply :facepalm:

Since a cruise ship visits other islands, it invalidates the initial 2 days in advance get aboard negative test.

While I also thought of a TA cruise (prior to Europe closing down somewhat due to Omnicron), I realized if I got sick on Day2, out in the middle of the Atlantic there is no good healthcare. I'm sure the cruise ships don't have ability to deal with serious covid infections. So a TA cruise is out..

I assume most folks would be truthful, but on a cruise ship or plane, I consider about 1% will lie or fake their vaccination.

I would love the news media to dig out the infection statistics of this ship based upon vaccination status and the severity of illness.

We seriously need a system that allows life to go on in a more normal way whether it's on a cruise ship or where we live. This on-going emergency way of dealing with Covid is no longer sustainable.

Last edited:
I would love the news media to dig out the infection statistics of this ship based upon vaccination status and the severity of illness.

We seriously need a system that allows life to go on in a more normal way whether it's on a cruise ship or where we live.

You would think so, but it appears that some governments are doubling down on dealing with "the emergency." :rolleyes:

We seriously need a system that allows life to go on in a more normal way whether it's on a cruise ship or where we live. This on-going emergency way of dealing with Covid is no longer sustainable.

Yes, I'd like to know the details, as if it's just 10 out of 3,000 people and it turned out those 10 were un-vaccinated or just 1 shot, or long ago vaccinated, etc...
Then I could judge the risk for myself by having details.

Currently it's practically a State secret when a ship comes back as to if they have any cases or not. This pretending makes me not trust many of the entities involved.
I'm sure it's done with the thought that silence will fool people into feeling it's safe as being at home, and keep business humming along.

Recent news about the Norwegian cruise ship docking in New Orleans: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-cases-new-orleans-norwegian-cruise-line-ship/.

A Norwegian Cruise Line ship with at least 17 passengers and crew members infected with COVID-19 docked Sunday in New Orleans...

... At least one of the infected crew members is suspected to have the new Omicron variant of the coronavirus...

... all of the identified cases involved people without symptoms of the illness...

... a South African crew member suspected of having the Omicron variant was in isolation for the entirety of the November 28 cruise...

...Norwegian said earlier that it requires all passengers and crew members to have been vaccinated against the coronavirus prior to departure....

Because all 17 infected people are asymptomatic, it appears to me that all passengers and crew are tested periodically during the cruise. How else would they know about these cases?

Last edited:
Recent news about the Norwegian cruise ship docking in New Orleans: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-cases-new-orleans-norwegian-cruise-line-ship/.

Because all 17 infected people are asymptomatic, it appears to me that all passengers and crew are tested periodically during the cruise. How else would they know about these cases?

They test the crew regularly. Passengers are tested at boarding, so presumably none of these cases were identified then. During the cruise they are tested if they have symptoms; are identified via contact tracing; if the ship visits a port that requires tests; or if they need a negative test to fly to their home country after disembarking. I don't know which of these reasons led them to find the original 10 cases, but once they found those, they tested everyone prior to disembarkation and that's how they got up to 17 total cases.

The infected passengers who had driven to the port were allowed to drive home in their own vehicles. The rest are being put up in quarantine lodging by the cruise line until they are no longer contagious.

I've been tempted by some cruises, some offers are very low cost for balcony.

I even emailed one of the ABC islands to see about their rules, as they have rules for airplane arrival, but no mention of ships. They didn't reply :facepalm:

Since a cruise ship visits other islands, it invalidates the initial 2 days in advance get aboard negative test.
Governments are changing their policies with very short notice. A poster on another board I'm on is on a Viking round-the-world cruise. They docked in Uruguay after 11 days at sea, during which everyone on board was tested daily, with no positive results. They still couldn't get off till Uruguayan officials had tested them, all, which took most of a day. Another country wouldn't let them in because they'd been to Cabo Verde, which was considered part of Africa. Viking has done its best and added some ports they might not have visited otherwise but cut out the Falklands to save time. She and her husband have a good attitude- you understand the risks when you get on board, you throw away the itinerary and take each day as it comes and you appreciate how hard the cruise line works to give you a good experience- but I'm glad I'm not on that trip.

My wife and I just went on a cruise last week. The protocol is a negative Covid test 48 hours prior to sailing. Proof of a vaccination also required. I also assume that 100% of the crew is also vaccinated. So, with the exception of children too young for a vaccine, everyone on board would be vaccinated.

I find it interesting what would have prompted the line to do testing while at sea (everyone was asymptomatic?). Perhaps the crew is tested regularly, and someone tested positive. They then test others (crew and passengers) based on contact with the initial case.

Surely, they would not test everyone on board.

Given that the cruise line seems to be picking up the costs (quarantine, etc.), I would guess that it all started with a crew member, not a passenger.

But all that is just speculation.

I was listening to the consumer guy Clark Howard last week. He handled a call from a lady who had signed up for a cruise and recently found out their departure port had changed as well as parts of the itinerary. She wanted her money back, but CH indicated it might not be that easy. He advised against taking a voucher for a future cruise since the cruise company might go out of business taking her money with it. He ended up recommending that sh take the newly revised cruise, relax and enjoy it. At least that way she gets some value for her money.

He also advised getting cancel for any reason insurance for things like cruises.

I don't blame the cruise line for trying to be safe, but I can see the buyers point of view. It's hard to make plans when the rules change on the fly and one's options are very limited.

Last edited:
They test the crew regularly. Passengers are tested at boarding, so presumably none of these cases were identified then. During the cruise they are tested if they have symptoms; are identified via contact tracing; if the ship visits a port that requires tests; or if they need a negative test to fly to their home country after disembarking. I don't know which of these reasons led them to find the original 10 cases, but once they found those, they tested everyone prior to disembarkation and that's how they got up to 17 total cases.

The infected passengers who had driven to the port were allowed to drive home in their own vehicles. The rest are being put up in quarantine lodging by the cruise line until they are no longer contagious.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if they have equipment onboard to do PCR testing, or the samples have to be sent ashore? I saw photos of the PCR machines, and they are not that big. However, to do 3000-4000 tests and to get results in 24 hours, they might need multiple machines.

PS. Where's Elizabeth Holmes when we need her? Her machine would allow us to do PCR tests ourselves at home, twice a day if we want to. :)

Oops, forgot that she was in court, in fact was taking the stand to defend herself.

Last edited:
Governments are changing their policies with very short notice. A poster on another board I'm on is on a Viking round-the-world cruise. They docked in Uruguay after 11 days at sea, during which everyone on board was tested daily, with no positive results. They still couldn't get off till Uruguayan officials had tested them, all, which took most of a day. Another country wouldn't let them in because they'd been to Cabo Verde, which was considered part of Africa. Viking has done its best and added some ports they might not have visited otherwise but cut out the Falklands to save time. She and her husband have a good attitude- you understand the risks when you get on board, you throw away the itinerary and take each day as it comes and you appreciate how hard the cruise line works to give you a good experience- but I'm glad I'm not on that trip.

That is such a tempting cruise, but I felt it was too unpredictable visiting so many countries with the changing rules, so I pushed it out of my mind.

Thanks for the customer report.:flowers:

We just completed cancellation of the third cruise we've scheduled since 2019. First reservation was made pre Covid. 2nd and 3rd were made when the Covid future was looking much brighter. As the time approached to leave or pay the full fee, things were in such a state as to make it unappealing. This last one, scheduled for March, was not that attractive anyway; it was scheduled with friends to ports we've already been to. Our cancellation was driven more by a fear of travel conditions deteriorating because of Omicron than fear of catching Covid. Travel has just lost a lot of luster to us. Love being there, just not getting there. As for committing to travel, we're done. If things get more predictable, there are some bucket places/things we'd like to do, but we're just not driven to take those plunges these days.

Currently it's practically a State secret when a ship comes back as to if they have any cases or not. This pretending makes me not trust many of the entities involved.
I'm sure it's done with the thought that silence will fool people into feeling it's safe as being at home, and keep business humming along.
Cruise ships are not the only venue that I would not trust. Most any business will typically do the least necessary when it comes to their bottom line. This would be especially true if it were difficult to trace back to them. Couple that with so many people who will do the same thing I gave up trusting that individuals would care about the safety of others. Is that to much negative thinking? After seeing the behavior of people the past couple of years I don't think so. Glad I'm not interested in bars, restaurants, large venue gatherings, etc. I have always preferred outdoors activities like hiking, cycling, etc.

Cheers!

Cruise ships are not the only venue that I would not trust. Most any business will typically do the least necessary when it comes to their bottom line. This would be especially true if it were difficult to trace back to them. Couple that with so many people who will do the same thing I gave up trusting that individuals would care about the safety of others. Is that to much negative thinking? After seeing the behavior of people the past couple of years I don't think so. Glad I'm not interested in bars, restaurants, large venue gatherings, etc. I have always preferred outdoors activities like hiking, cycling, etc.

Cheers!

+1. Add golf to the list and I am right there with you.

Back
Top Bottom