Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is something that will help get those folks that are reluctant to get their jabs--Krispy Kreme donuts is giving a free donut EVERY DAY for a year whenever you show your vaccination card. Personally I never eat doughnuts (too much fat and sugar) but I bet this will encourage some folks to get those shots.

Just got my second dose of Pfizer. So far, so good!

Ditto...no side effects from Pfizer #1 last week.

But I'm bummed that I had to schedule my second shot a full month out.

Now the local mass vaccination, drive-thru sites seem to be getting plenty of the J&J vaccine...should I just head over to one of those instead (or before) my last Pfizer shot?
Mixing vaccines isn't advised. It's less tested. Probably ok if you have to.

A month out isn't that bad. It should be at least 3 weeks before you get Pfizer #2, so you are only waiting 9 extra days. After a full year, 9 days isn't that bad, is it?

Also consider that you are basically taking 1/2 of a vaccine from someone else. You're set to finish your vaccine, but instead want to take that single dose from someone who maybe has trouble getting off work, or has a fear of needles.

Well here is something that will help get those folks that are reluctant to get their jabs--Krispy Kreme donuts is giving a free donut EVERY DAY for a year whenever you show your vaccination card. Personally I never eat doughnuts (too much fat and sugar) but I bet this will encourage some folks to get those shots.

Get vaccinated then get obese from eating donuts every day for a year. Nothing like amping up one's risk for a poor COVID outcome!

When I had measles, and sister had strep throat, we were only allowed to talk to each other from the room door too. These were small rooms, no more than 8-10 feet to the bed...However, mom went into the room, and nobody wore masks. So, not sure how much good it really did!

My parents were "old school." When one kid brought measles, mumps, chicken pox home from school, we didn't social distance. We all got everything and got it over with. Of course, that was early '50s, before any of the effective vaccines came out. DW still "knows" which kid in our school gave her chicken pox because his parents sent him back to school before he was over it. No idea if she is correct, but it's a moot point. She wasn't very happy with that kid 40+ years later when she got shingles, but that's another thread.

As far as Covid-19 goes, I'm hoping the vaccines will obviate the need for the old style herd immunity, though I expect the "natural way" is more effective - but much more costly in terms of lives lost.

I've noticed that this is perhaps the most active thread I've seen on ER Forum. The old "self preservation" thing is very powerful, isn't it, though YMMV.

Now that the county has scheduled my first shot, suddenly the hospital is in touch too. Feels like two guys competing to get a date with me.

I hope it means the vaccine "Hunger Games" are finally over.

Finally, a real reason to get the vaccine. :cool:

Ditto...no side effects from Pfizer #1 last week.

But I'm bummed that I had to schedule my second shot a full month out.

Now the local mass vaccination, drive-thru sites seem to be getting plenty of the J&J vaccine...should I just head over to one of those instead (or before) my last Pfizer shot?

Mine (Pfizer) will be 24 days until the 2nd dose. This was the earliest date available.

Now that the county has scheduled my first shot, suddenly the hospital is in touch too. Feels like two guys competing to get a date with me.

I hope it means the vaccine "Hunger Games" are finally over.

That's what happened here as well. We went from zero to four....

Finally, a real reason to get the vaccine. :cool:

I bet that there are quite a few people who will be pushed off the fence and get their vaccines to get free donuts. You never know what motivates people. I have thought all along that when we are near the end of the vaccinations and have still have people unvaccinated if we give them some incentive (like free donuts or maybe a gift certificate) some of those people will get vaccinated in order to get the freebie.
There are several skilled nursing homes in my area that have offered vaccines to employees and have been surprised to find that 30-40% of the staff did not accept the vaccine. However the CCRC where I am on the waiting list has had about 90% of employees take the vaccine. I understand this CCRC gave the staff a monetary bonus to take the vaccine and that is the reason for the higher percentage.

I am pretty sure it will come down to "Oh, yeah? Show me the money!" with some people.

I bet that there are quite a few people who will be pushed off the fence and get their vaccines to get free donuts. You never know what motivates people. I have thought all along that when we are near the end of the vaccinations and have still have people unvaccinated if we give them some incentive (like free donuts or maybe a gift certificate) some of those people will get vaccinated in order to get the freebie.
There are several skilled nursing homes in my area that have offered vaccines to employees and have been surprised to find that 30-40% of the staff did not accept the vaccine. However the CCRC where I am on the waiting list has had about 90% of employees take the vaccine. I understand this CCRC gave the staff a monetary bonus to take the vaccine and that is the reason for the higher percentage.

Just saw a new press release this morning that my County (Contra Costa) in the Bay Area is expanding eligibility to 50+....no high risk conditions required. Filled out the questionnaire so they can verify eligibility and, once they confirm, I should get an invite to schedule the vaccination. Very excited! Thought the "everyone else" group would be a free for all in late April/early May. Hopefully, the rest of the process will go smoothly and I can get in line for the shot(s).

Hope all goes well!

Just saw a new press release this morning that my County (Contra Costa) in the Bay Area is expanding eligibility to 50+....no high risk conditions required. Filled out the questionnaire so they can verify eligibility and, once they confirm, I should get an invite to schedule the vaccination. Very excited! Thought the "everyone else" group would be a free for all in late April/early May. Hopefully, the rest of the process will go smoothly and I can get in line for the shot(s).

Dang I may have to take a drive, though they may check for your address.

I am not online these days, but if I was, I would add CVFV to my list of must haves for any woman whom I might court.

CVFV - CoVid Fully Vaccinated.

Last edited:
Filled out the questionnaire so they can verify eligibility and, once they confirm, I should get an invite to schedule the vaccination.

I did that too, on Saturday, but then I checked pharmacies early Sunday morning and made an appointment as soon as I saw one open near me. Never did get any response back from the invite email, though it's possible (unlikely...) they are cross checking before sending them and see I've already signed up.

Florida opened for 50+ as of Monday, DH and I are going to a walgreens about a half hour away on Wednesday, and it auto-booked our 2nd appointments 4 weeks later.

Thank you for sharing Aerides. I just checked with the on-line scheduling at the local pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens, Safeway) and they've not updated their availability yet. Most of the local clinics and medical sites are coordinating their appts via the County's Health Dept set-up....but I'll be checking last thing before going to bed and first thing in the morning to see if the pharmacies get on board before I hear from the County. :)

I am pretty sure it will come down to "Oh, yeah? Show me the money!" with some people.

I would venture to say that you could even pay people $100 to take the vaccine, and the economy would still be ahead, vs the cost to the economy of not generating heard immunity. But, an expert could probably prove me wrong.

My parents were "old school." When one kid brought measles, mumps, chicken pox home from school, we didn't social distance. We all got everything and got it over with. Of course, that was early '50s, before any of the effective vaccines came out. DW still "knows" which kid in our school gave her chicken pox because his parents sent him back to school before he was over it. No idea if she is correct, but it's a moot point. She wasn't very happy with that kid 40+ years later when she got shingles, but that's another thread.

As far as Covid-19 goes, I'm hoping the vaccines will obviate the need for the old style herd immunity, though I expect the "natural way" is more effective - but much more costly in terms of lives lost.

I've noticed that this is perhaps the most active thread I've seen on ER Forum. The old "self preservation" thing is very powerful, isn't it, though YMMV.
You may think this is what happened but it is unlikely (or if it happened it was ill advised). What you describe was true for Chicken pox as it is a disease that almost everyone gets in temperate climates and is generally much milder in children than in adults so it made sense to get it out of the way. This is definitely not the case for measles which the majority of people did not contract at all, which can be fatal in up to 1 in 100 to 200 cases and most fatalities were in children less than 5 years of age. Mumps was not as nasty a virus but it did account for a significant number of cases of encephalitis and meningitis before a vaccine was developed and can result in sterility in males. Again, it was much better to get the at an older age as the likelihood of severe outcomes was reduced.

I was finally able to reregister with UTRGV as they opened again. Good thing that I checked their form page today as registration had been closed the past week. I used a different email address - the forms were different so I suspect my old registration was dumped at some point a month or two ago.

I sure hope more appointments become available in my area next week. It’s been pretty fully booked at HEB and CVS this week and last week and appointments are for just a few days out. Even last minute same day appointments! I’ll keep watching.

Just in case anyone missed this a few pages back: It's an aggregator of all the sites with vaccine bookings, near-real-time updated. Not all providers are on it, but it's been helpful for me rather than checking around all the providers manually.

https://www.vaccinespotter.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom