Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
In England this morning I listened to the health minister being interviewed on the BBC. The interviewer kept trying to press him to name a number that would be a target of folks vaccinated per week, 1 million a week is the figure being bandied about. He wouldn't give a number but repeated his stated target of having everyone over the age of 65 vaccinated by Easter. (April 4) In the 3 weeks or so since the UK has been vaccinating folks it has been about 200k/week, but I'm confident that will ramp up quite quickly. The AstraZeneca vaccine begins shipping this week and vaccinations are due to start on Monday, and it has a much easier logistics chain as it can be stored at room temperature.

I think that the vaccination rate, either here or in the USA, will not be uniform. It will start slow and build momentum as time goes on.

Completely agree our local nursing home has pictures of vaccinations yesterday. They went individually to each residents room and vaccinated staff in the large chapel. they were each seated in chairs 6 ft apart. Imagine how much time this all takes compared to normal times.

Going poorly, the actual medical people at your work and even you got protected, you must have a different definition of the word poorly then I do.

No, I said it's a win "for me." And even for my co-workers. Poorly "overall". Overall = vaccinations given nationwide.

And I am sure it will improve, but it's not going well so far, per the article I linked to earlier, we are on a 10 year pace... for now.

The UK genome centre does an enormous amount of DNA sequencing and discovered that this particular new variant is prevalent in cases in London and the SE of England. These areas have seen an enormous surge in cases in recent weeks compared to other areas of the country and something like 62% of all infections in London were this particular variant compared to 12% of all cases in Yorkshire and Humberside which have a much lower infection rate.

Further research shows that it doesn’t make the patient any sicker than any other variant and there is no evidence that the vaccines (now 3 of them with the approval of the Oxford / Astra Zeneca vaccine in the UK) are any less effective.

Our state had about a 3 week run where cases suddenly jumped off the charts and we were at the 3rd highest case rate in the country. Suddenly in the last 10 days our case rate is the 3rd lowest in the country. I'm at loss to explain that, maybe we had something like in the UK going on.

No, I said it's a win "for me." And even for my co-workers. Poorly "overall". Overall = vaccinations given nationwide.

And I am sure it will improve, but it's not going well so far, per the article I linked to earlier, we are on a 10 year pace... for now.

I bet in 30 days that number will drop dramatically. The targeting that makes it time consuming will improve as we move into bigger groups of people and more locations. Once we hit the 65 and 70 years olds that can go to Walgreens and CVS things should ramp up.

Right now you basically have to pre qualify everyone. I also know a couple pharmacists that are training to do event type clinics.

Last edited:
Completely agree our local nursing home has pictures of vaccinations yesterday. They went individually to each residents room and vaccinated staff in the large chapel. they were each seated in chairs 6 ft apart. Imagine how much time this all takes compared to normal times.

It is probably the same in the USA but for the elderly vaccinations they don't just stab and let the patient leave, they monitor them for 15 minutes afterwards. I think as they move on down the age range to more healthy folks that the speed will be much more like administering the flu vaccine. We are still on the over 80 age group here.

It's a good thing the internet wasn't around in World War II. I could only imagine what it would be like in say, oh, 1940 through 1943.

Our state had about a 3 week run where cases suddenly jumped off the charts and we were at the 3rd highest case rate in the country. Suddenly in the last 10 days our case rate is the 3rd lowest in the country. I'm at loss to explain that, maybe we had something like in the UK going on.

I think the new variant has appeared in many places. At the same time cases were taking off in England, several other European countries were also seeing huge spikes of infections. This is an informative article from the British Medical Journal on the new variant.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4944

What about outside the UK?
A handful of countries have confirmed cases of the new variant, including Australia, Denmark, Italy, Iceland, and the Netherlands.

Hopkins said it’s likely that many other countries will report cases soon. She said, “I think that it is very likely it emerged here. However, it’s very likely that it is also in other countries, because there has been transport back and forth between many European countries for the last three months.”

She added that the UK does more genome sequencing (10% of testing samples) than any other European country, except for Denmark, so it may take some time to know the extent of the variant’s spread. “Denmark probably sequences about 20% now and increased its sequencing capacity after the mink variant. The majority of other European countries sequence maybe 1%, and often much less than that, and many have no sequencing capacity whatsoever.”

It is probably the same in the USA but for the elderly vaccinations they don't just stab and let the patient leave, they monitor them for 15 minutes afterwards. I think as they move on down the age range to more healthy folks that the speed will be much more like administering the flu vaccine. We are still on the over 80 age group here.

I believe everyone is supposed to be observed for at least 15 minutes. Where I work in US, they watch everyone a minimum 15 minutes after vaccination. It was 15 minutes for me. It was longer for some people due to allergies or such.

I believe everyone is supposed to be observed for at least 15 minutes. Where I work in US, they watch everyone a minimum 15 minutes after vaccination. It was 15 minutes for me. It was longer for some people due to allergies or such.

I thought that might be case, thanks for the confirmation.

I agree it has been slow going in getting vaccines in arms. But I also agree it will start to speed up as we roll into January. My opinion the reason for the slow roll out is because of the facilities and people getting the first vaccinations. They are bringing it to those people, at the hospitals or long term care facilities (due to the constraints of the first vaccines available). My hope is that as we move into the next phase of people to get the vaccine the states can make more of a coordinated effort for mass vaccine clinics. My fear is there is not this kind of coordination at the state/local level and they are going to rely more on the approach of the flu vaccine each year, where the individual person goes into a retail pharmacy to get vaccinated. This is highly inefficient in vaccinating a large amount of the public in a short amount of time. I think of it this way, they start advertising the flu shot is available in late August. I see more and more advertisements on tv in September. A few people get their flu vaccine in August or September. You see a lot more people getting their flu vaccine in October, November, December and January. And we are talking about only 50% of the public getting the flu vaccine in a standard year. If we take this kind of approach yes it will take sometime until late 2021 before 50% of the public is vaccinated for Covid since it requires 2 shots. I would like to see mass vaccination clinics run by the states to ramp up shots in arms in the Spring instead.

I am a military spouse and live on a military base and receive my health care from a military treatment facility on base. For the past 14 years I have always received my flu vaccine at base mass vaccination clinics they hold in the Fall. I remember 2009 with H1N1 outbreak and how we had to go back to get a booster that Spring. I was living at a large military base that serviced a very large population of active duty/dependents and retirees in the area. They set up these clinics that started at 6am and ran all day until 6pm. They broke it up into 2 locations on base and depending on your last name A-M,N-Z you went to your designated location. We stood in line, filled out our paperwork while in line, then when we got to the front, they checked our ID and you moved down the walkway until you got to a waiting corpsman, there were like 30 of them per location, who gave you the shot, they spent about 1 minute on each person. They were able to vaccinate over 1,000 people per hour. So imagine one location vaccinating 12-15,000 people in one day. And they had two of those locations in the same day on base. I don't know any CVS location that sees 24,000 people and can vaccinate them in a 12 hour day. This is the kind of coordinated effort I would love to see from our states/local areas. I would think since they are contracting this out to CVS/Walgreens you can even use those people at these mass vaccination clinics. You have to do them at a large popular location for each individual area, such as a school gymnasium on a weekend when the school is not open or a convention center, football stadium, sports center/arena. A place with plenty of parking and space so you can spread the people out by 6ft and also move them to an area after vaccination to wait the 20-30 minutes after the shot. Kind of like these mass early voting locations you see in large cities, that would be a great way to get the most amount of people as possible vaccinated once they open up to people who can go to a location to get their shot. This could even be scaled up for a lot more than the 24,000 people they vaccinated that 1 day at the base back in 2009. Each states National Guard could coordinate this kind of mass event, they do practice/train for this kind of thing.

Again, all just my opinion and wish for this rollout to see as many people as possible get this vaccine as soon as possible. This really is a hair on fire situation and the response needs to be a hair on fire response. Hopefully states see how slow it is going so far and start making plans to ramp things up in January when we get much more vaccine supplied. But in any case, I am super happy to see vaccinations happening, whatever the speed they are happening at this point. A vaccine in less then a year is amazing!

No, nothing fancy, just mid-priced (HI Express or similar) hotel rooms each night, as I drive around the country seeing sites. I will of course make sure everything I want to see is open before I go.

I have cabin fever pretty bad, and I am tired of putting off trips like this. DW will be mad at me, but she will get over it.

I think we all are getting more than a bit tired of this. Let's see how this vaccine roles out.

:popcorn:

The AstraZenica (sp?) vaccine is now OK in the UK. It is about 62% effective. This vaccine was made using a virus from a chimp. This could give a new meaning to the term "chimping".

Last edited:
the vaccines (now 3 of them with the approval of the Oxford / Astra Zeneca vaccine in the UK) are any less effective.
Mr. Alan Sir: The last I'd heard was that the AZ vaccine was not quite as effective as the first two, like 80% vs. 95%. Have you heard anything different? Thanks.

Anyone know the policy for someone that has tested positive for COVID getting the vaccine? I don't remember reading anything about that situation. I know for the shingles vaccine you are supposed to wait a certain period of time after you have contracted shingles.
I had a routine blood test and doctor visit last week. One CBC marker said I might be fighting off something and the doc asked me some questions on my recent health and said it's possible I had contracted the virus. He did an antibody test and told me if it comes back positive they recommend I do NOT get vaccinated for 90 days.
(Unfortunately, test was negative.)

Mr. Alan Sir: The last I'd heard was that the AZ vaccine was not quite as effective as the first two, like 80% vs. 95%. Have you heard anything different? Thanks.
Their half first dose trial gave 90% efficacy after the second dose. Full first dose trial was in the low 60's after the second dose, an average was 70%. So, efficacy was much better starting with the half dose.

regenaeb....you brought back memories of my days as an Army brat.

The Army could eitherbe the most efficient thing ever or the most inefficient ever!! you never knew how it was going to roll.

The numbers debate here reminds of an older teacher at church who used to drive me nuts. We would spend about 4 and a half hours 7 days a week milking cows. We were trying to schedule something at church and he would ask in all seriousness, If you only milk 4 plus hours, what do you do with all your free time..? So the vaccination itself is like the milk coming out of the cow, it's all the stuff you have to do to make that happen that's the hard part..:dance:

Perhaps that's why I have a little more patience with the rollout...

Mr gerntz Sir: Have you misunderstood my post? Maybe if you had quoted the whole post and read the post it quoted you would have understood better.

The post is regarding the new variant of Covid and is in response to a question about it which I quoted. There is no evidence that any of the vaccines are less effective than their stated efficacy, not that they are somehow more effective against it.

Our county setup a sign up portal to get the vaccine. Both DW and I signed up this morning, and now wait to hear back on when and where to go. We are both over 65 with pre-existing conditions.

Many of my family and friends in the medical profession have received the vaccine. this makes me so happy! To see the end of the long, horrible tunnel is amazing.

Do I wish the vaccine in arms rollout was moving faster? Yes, but the logistics of vaccinating millions (billions, worldwide) are unbelievable.
Would involving FEMA or or the disaster response work? Military/National Guard? I don't know.
But I am jumping for joy that the vaccine is here!!

Further research shows that it doesn’t make the patient any sicker than any other variant and there is no evidence that the vaccines (now 3 of them with the approval of the Oxford / Astra Zeneca vaccine in the UK) are any less effective.

I believe they're still working to determine that.

One approach would be to use antibodies from recovered patients in patients with the new strain.

Or to use antibodies raised from those who were vaccinated, to see if these antibodies neutralize the new strain.

I agree it has been slow going in getting vaccines in arms. But I also agree it will start to speed up as we roll into January. My opinion the reason for the slow roll out is because of the facilities and people getting the first vaccinations. They are bringing it to those people, at the hospitals or long term care facilities (due to the constraints of the first vaccines available). My hope is that as we move into the next phase of people to get the vaccine the states can make more of a coordinated effort for mass vaccine clinics. My fear is there is not this kind of coordination at the state/local level and they are going to rely more on the approach of the flu vaccine each year, where the individual person goes into a retail pharmacy to get vaccinated. This is highly inefficient in vaccinating a large amount of the public in a short amount of time. I think of it this way, they start advertising the flu shot is available in late August. I see more and more advertisements on tv in September. A few people get their flu vaccine in August or September. You see a lot more people getting their flu vaccine in October, November, December and January. And we are talking about only 50% of the public getting the flu vaccine in a standard year. If we take this kind of approach yes it will take sometime until late 2021 before 50% of the public is vaccinated for Covid since it requires 2 shots. I would like to see mass vaccination clinics run by the states to ramp up shots in arms in the Spring instead.

I am a military spouse and live on a military base and receive my health care from a military treatment facility on base. For the past 14 years I have always received my flu vaccine at base mass vaccination clinics they hold in the Fall. I remember 2009 with H1N1 outbreak and how we had to go back to get a booster that Spring. I was living at a large military base that serviced a very large population of active duty/dependents and retirees in the area. They set up these clinics that started at 6am and ran all day until 6pm. They broke it up into 2 locations on base and depending on your last name A-M,N-Z you went to your designated location. We stood in line, filled out our paperwork while in line, then when we got to the front, they checked our ID and you moved down the walkway until you got to a waiting corpsman, there were like 30 of them per location, who gave you the shot, they spent about 1 minute on each person. They were able to vaccinate over 1,000 people per hour. So imagine one location vaccinating 12-15,000 people in one day. And they had two of those locations in the same day on base. I don't know any CVS location that sees 24,000 people and can vaccinate them in a 12 hour day. This is the kind of coordinated effort I would love to see from our states/local areas. I would think since they are contracting this out to CVS/Walgreens you can even use those people at these mass vaccination clinics. You have to do them at a large popular location for each individual area, such as a school gymnasium on a weekend when the school is not open or a convention center, football stadium, sports center/arena. A place with plenty of parking and space so you can spread the people out by 6ft and also move them to an area after vaccination to wait the 20-30 minutes after the shot. Kind of like these mass early voting locations you see in large cities, that would be a great way to get the most amount of people as possible vaccinated once they open up to people who can go to a location to get their shot. This could even be scaled up for a lot more than the 24,000 people they vaccinated that 1 day at the base back in 2009. Each states National Guard could coordinate this kind of mass event, they do practice/train for this kind of thing.

Again, all just my opinion and wish for this rollout to see as many people as possible get this vaccine as soon as possible. This really is a hair on fire situation and the response needs to be a hair on fire response. Hopefully states see how slow it is going so far and start making plans to ramp things up in January when we get much more vaccine supplied. But in any case, I am super happy to see vaccinations happening, whatever the speed they are happening at this point. A vaccine in less then a year is amazing!

+1

If we could get them like voting stations, it would do a lot of people per day.
If CVS/Walgreens do it, the line up will be miles long.. :D

Hopefully they do it, 7 days a week, and don't take weekends off :facepalm:
There is nothing I can do to speed it up, so I'll just have to wait :popcorn:

A nurse who got the Pfizer vaccine has tested positive for Covid.

He got the injection about a week before his positive test.

Not unexpected, as first shot took about 10-14 days to raise an immune response.

When I was a child I remember when they came out with the polio vaccine. There was a mass vaccination clinic at the local Armory. Thousands of people were vaccinated in one weekend (including my entire family). I hope they do something like that once there is sufficient Covid vaccine doses (of course there will have to be social distancing so the line could stretch along way).

Just saw this:

"Michael Pratt, a spokesman for Operation Warp Speed, said the U.S. is close to meeting its goal of injecting 20 million Americans with their first shot by the end of the year. He said the CDC’s data is likely off due to delays in reporting.

“Operation Warp Speed remains on track to have approximately 40 million doses of vaccine and allocate 20 million doses for first vaccinations by the end of December 2020, with distribution of the 20 million first doses spanning into the first week of January as states place orders for them,” he said in a statement.

The CDC acknowledged delays in its vaccine data from the states and jurisdictions that collect and report it to federal officials, among other factors.

“A large difference between the number of doses distributed and the number of doses administered is expected at this point in the COVID vaccination program due to several factors,” the agency said."

What I find interesting is that the doses aren't distributed till the states place orders.

Sir Alan! When did I miss the news? :LOL:

Smile everyone. Good days ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom