Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't envy those making the decisions on prioritizing citizens. There can't possibly be 100% agreement on who "needs it more." Give them some space, even if they don't see things exactly as you do. Personally, I want this thing and I'm going to be assertive in getting mine. But I will wait my turn, whether I agree with the pecking order or not.

I do feel the need to add to the discussion on inoculating prisoners. To me, the overwhelming argument is that, when you take someone prisoner, you are taking responsibility for their well-being. It's just inhumane to cram them together and allow a disease to spread among them, if there's nothing they can do to protect themselves.

There are other arguments, for and against. But to me it comes down to human decency. The bill of rights protects every citizen from cruel and unusual punishment.

My 80 year old MIL is in a skilled nursing home in FL and they are still told they cannot get the vaccine in the nursing home until some time next week. Meanwhile my MIL and 23 others tested positive Monday for COVID. We had a Zoom chat with her yesterday afternoon and she looked very tired and they had her on oxygen. So far no fever and we are hoping it stays that way, but she has compromised lungs. It was originally on the floor below them and it jumped to her floor even though they had put measures in place to contain it to the lower floor. What really irks me is two weeks ago Desantis was on TV at the Villages touting how every person 65 plus can get the vaccine. Meanwhile my MIL's facility is less than 35 minutes from the Villages and they are not getting it until next week! I was like dude, why don't you drive that supply you have the 35 minutes west and give it to the 150 people confined to that nursing home. If she would have received the vaccine two weeks ago when they said they were getting it to nursing homes, she might have had a chance to avoid getting it or it would help to keep her from getting seriously ill from this. Now she has to wait until 2 weeks after her isolation period after her last symptoms before she can get it, and they may not be back to give it to her nursing home until sometime like mid February. Luckily if she lives through this she will have some immunity to get her through until she can get the vaccine.

My mother is having issues getting it for my Uncle, who she takes care of. He is on dialysis 3 days a week, has been for the past 9 years. She has called the hotline and tried online and the system keeps crashing in the Orlando area that they live, she is not sure when she will be able to get it for him. Every time she has to take him to dialysis she prays the staff are not infected and asymptomatic that they can give it to him. Other than not having functioning kidneys he is pretty healthy for 76 years old and could probably go another couple of years his doctor says. His kidneys were fried from Colon cancer treatment he received 10 years ago.

Really happy to hear others are able to get the vaccine for their loved ones in FL, but so far that has not been my families experience.

In Mississippi they have started online enrollment for 75 and older. Looks like January 18th is the earliest for an appt with my county's health dept. Good to see some progress. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to get to the 65 to 74 age bracket.

My neighbor is 90 and got contacted by the VA about getting a vaccine. He is supposed to contact them today for further details. I’ll try to post any further info.

My father-in-law has a VA appointment for the first dose early next week.

I don't envy those making the decisions on prioritizing citizens. There can't possibly be 100% agreement on who "needs it more." Give them some space, even if they don't see things exactly as you do. Personally, I want this thing and I'm going to be assertive in getting mine. But I will wait my turn, whether I agree with the pecking order or not.

I do feel the need to add to the discussion on inoculating prisoners. To me, the overwhelming argument is that, when you take someone prisoner, you are taking responsibility for their well-being. It's just inhumane to cram them together and allow a disease to spread among them, if there's nothing they can do to protect themselves.

There are other arguments, for and against. But to me it comes down to human decency. The bill of rights protects every citizen from cruel and unusual punishment.

I do not understand the pushback against vaccinating in the prisons. I'll add the point that prison population skews minority and yes the people complaining about it seem petty.

So how does it work for her second shot ?
Has that already been scheduled, etc. ?

Wondering if people get first shot, then are left fighting to get the second one, like shingles was done in many places.

I've seen information showing those who get the first shot are given a document confirming that first immunization and the scheduled date/time/place for the second shot.

When my wife got the prime dose of the Pfizer vaccine, she was given an appointment to receive the boost 20 days later.
She had the boost dose yesterday and it came from the same lot as the prime. This might account for some of the "unused doses" controversy.

I'm in Florida too. I am told my mother aged 83 who's in a long term care community is expecting Walgreens or CVS to provide vaccines to their community "soon" I thought this would be a priority, but I haven't heard that CVS or Walgreens has started any yet. This just seems like very poor planning, but unfortunately, I'm not surprised. I am not in any of the priority categories, so I am not expecting to be able to get my vaccine for a few months or more.

Interesting cattle call from Hidalgo County - first come, first served, from 8am until supplies run out supplies last - at the county livestock show grounds.

I wonder how that will turn out.

We are registered at UTRGV and watching HEB as well, and will get ours by appointment, thank you very much!
Pretty much as we expected. Only people who arrived during the night were able to get vaccinated. Before the clinic opened in the morning they were turning people away and posting on social media that they were at capacity.

There were only 800 doses available for the clinic.
https://www.themonitor.com/2021/01/05/overwhelming-response-first-hidalgo-county-vaccine-clinic/
A large, weedy field served as a staging area where hundreds of vehicles were parked for hours with patient people who showed up and stayed overnight. That wasn’t how Lupita and Chalo Gonzalez, both 79, expected to spend the first hours of their 57th anniversary.

They showed up around 4 a.m. after they learned of the vaccine in news reports.

At first they were confused about taking a printed and pre-filled registration application, which the county preferred but also offered on-site. Vehicles began moving into the grounds around 7:30 a.m., Lupita said. It took them eight hours overall to go from the parking lot and through the three-room process.

The Gonzalezes described the process as smooth but noted a problem with restroom access during the hours-long wait. A few of the people waiting in line expressed similar concerns on Monday night.

At least they got to wait in their cars! Tough about the toilets though.

Last edited:
If I were a lazy writer, I could substitute "vaccination" for "toilet paper" on stories from March, April and May, and then publish the stories and nobody would know the difference.

Just kidding. Sorry, too soon for a joke. But you get the point. Something familiar is going on here.

"We're all in this together" is the rallying cry. Except, we aren't. We're in it for me.

So a modified version of the pedal brew tour?
That gives new meaning to "a shot and a beer". I like how you think!

Just passing along our fantastic experience getting Mother (age 79) vaccinated in Florida.
My Mom in Port St Lucie got hers today. No comment on difficulties, so I presume it was no big deal.

My original plan was to wait until Publix offered me a $10 gift card bribe (as they did for the regular flu shot), but then I heard that as of now, in my county, you're supposed to get it through one of the duopoly medical establishments (Novant or Atrium), which ever one your doctor is indentured to. There are almost no doctors in our county that haven't been bought up, so that accounts for everyone with a regular doctor. Those without a regular doctor have some other public health avenue, that I didn't pay much attention to.

My 24-year-old had a 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday.

So how does it work for her second shot ?
Has that already been scheduled, etc. ?

Wondering if people get first shot, then are left fighting to get the second one, like shingles was done in many places.

So after Mom got her shot, they gave her a Florida Dept of Health immunization card with a confirmation of her first vaccine and an appointment 28 days for her second shot. She is to bring the card with her and they will document the 2nd shot....She has her appointment and the card will serve as her confirmation.

Easy peasy, no lines, in and out in 20 minutes and she's all scheduled for round 2. Very pleased with Florida!

It was reported today that Kevin Brady, TX congressman, tested positive.

He had his first Pfizer shot on 12/18.

It's suppose to offer some protection 12-14 days after the first shot.

If you get the first shot, don't assume you're bulletproof until you at least get the second shot and have lasted 2 weeks after the second shot.

In fact it turns out during the trials, there were over 3400 cases of "suspected" covid infections, almost split evenly between the control and test groups. People had symptoms but their PCR tests came out negative.

Efficacy figures may be inflate.

Maybe his test was a false positive and a ruse to not be in the US Capitol today.

He had his first Pfizer shot on 12/18.

It's suppose to offer some protection 12-14 days after the first shot.

If you get the first shot, don't assume you're bulletproof until you at least get the second shot and have lasted 2 weeks after the second shot.

In fact it turns out during the trials, there were over 3400 cases of "suspected" covid infections, almost split evenly between the control and test groups. People had symptoms but their PCR tests came out negative.

Efficacy figures may be inflate.

No expert has claimed that the vaccine will prevent people from getting or transmitting the virus. Even after 2 doses.

The vaccine is meant to lessen the severity of symptoms.

Only time will tell if the vaccine reduces the likelihood of being infected.

Last edited:
I read today that my state plans to start vaccinating Group 1B on the 1st of February. That includes those 70 and over, so I'll be ready to pounce when they announce how to make an appointment. I really wasn't expecting it so soon, but I'm hopeful they will be able to make good on the plan.

I read today that my state plans to start vaccinating Group 1B on the 1st of February. That includes those 70 and over, so I'll be ready to pounce when they announce how to make an appointment. I really wasn't expecting it so soon, but I'm hopeful they will be able to make good on the plan.

I hope your state makes it easier than Louisiana has! Those 70 and over have been able to get vaccinated since the 4th of January. Post #842 in this thread explains the details and some possible difficulties that arose here (basically not enough vaccine doses and secrecy about vaccination locations and the phone numbers to call for an appointment, until the very last minute). Good luck! :)

WSJ today has an article quoting CVS and Walgreens detailing some problems they have had as they struggle with rollout at long term care facilities. They have to go room by room, many of the staff have declined to get vaccine at this time, and the estimates of number of people are higher than they have been finding. They reported that facilities estimated by number of beds plus staff and many beds are empty as new residents have been waiting to move in.
Both report they will complete the long term care by 25 Jan date they contracted to meet.
Gives me hope that the pace will pick up as mass jabs start to happen more widely.

Testing for vaccine alergy

According to the FDA you should not get vaccinated if you're allergic to any of the ingredients. Some, if not all the ingredients are in food so I'm considering trying foods with the ingredients to see what happens. Maybe some are in supplements. I've seen no guidance on testing for allergies to the vaccines. Nothing on the amounts of the ingredients present in the vaccines compared with food, or on what the common allergens in the vaccines are. Comments?

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine ingredients: mRNA, lipids ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis(2-hexyldecanoate), 2 [(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide, 1,2-Distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine, and cholesterol), potassium chloride, monobasic potassium phosphate, sodium chloride, dibasic sodium phosphate dihydrate, and sucrose.

Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine ingredients: messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA), lipids (SM-102, polyethylene glycol [PEG] 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol [DMG], cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]), tromethamine, tromethamine hydrochloride, acetic acid, sodium acetate, and sucrose.

My DD received a survey from her employer hospital today. Lower than expected rates of hospital employees are getting the vaccine and they are trying to identify reasons for the concerns or if any barriers exist.

Wish they’d just move on to next phase and find someone to get those doses injected into. You snooze, you lose. Or not really lose. You can get it later when you wake up.

Our governor's press conference today touched on the issue of vaccine acceptance by the staff at nursing homes. While 85% + of the residents have gotten the vaccine, only about 50% of the staff has. There were a number of factors that may impact the rate. Among them: 1.) Education/familiarization with vaccines - they have been rolling out education sessions for the staff. They have taken pre-education and post-education polls to measure acceptance rate for the participants, and that number always rises after the education session; 2) Language barriers - for many of the workers, English is not their native language, and even with education, they may not feel fully informed. The state is working to translate all the materials/videos into other languages; 3) Don't want to be first - the plan is for the vaccination teams to make 3 trips to each facility to get in both doses. Many of the workers said they wanted to take a pass on the first trip to see what happened to others. They'll still be able to get both doses in the 2d and 3d visits.; 4) A portion of the workers work 3d shift, and it is difficult for them to go back in to get a vaccination during the day.

As of today, the State of Connecticut has vaccinated 102k people (~2.9% of the population), with 1802 people having received their second shot. About 50% of the doses delivered have been used, which is what one would expect since you need to save some for the second dose. The governor says we could go faster if we had more supply.

As of today, the State of Connecticut has vaccinated 102k people (~2.9% of the population), with 1802 people having received their second shot. About 50% of the doses delivered have been used, which is what one would expect since you need to save some for the second dose. The governor says we could go faster if we had more supply.

I’ve been wondering about this. Is it the states who are holding second doses in reserve? I thought the Feds were doing that. I hope they’re not doing a belt and suspenders thing!

My DD received a survey from her employer hospital today. Lower than expected rates of hospital employees are getting the vaccine and they are trying to identify reasons for the concerns or if any barriers exist.

Wish they’d just move on to next phase and find someone to get those doses injected into. You snooze, you lose. Or not really lose. You can get it later when you wake up.

I agree mostly. For health care workers my ignorant self would skip right by and go to next or vaccinate those walking by.
For long term care, I would probably give more attention as they would probably be more likely to have a change of mind. Also they are caring for more vulnerable.
What is conventional wisdom on when to allow those that decline to get a shot? After open to all other category or do they slip back in to front of the line?

This evening, the county sent out a text saying "Go to the web site to sign up for COVID vaccine." Five minutes later, while I was still trying to sign up my husband, a text went out saying all the appointments were gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom