Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree mostly. For health care workers my ignorant self would skip right by and go to next or vaccinate those walking by.

For long term care, I would probably give more attention as they would probably be more likely to have a change of mind. Also they are caring for more vulnerable.

What is conventional wisdom on when to allow those that decline to get a shot? After open to all other category or do they slip back in to front of the line?

Yes, I agree.
Not sure about conventional wisdom, but as for those who initially might decline and then later decide they want it, I’d be fine with them getting back in front of line. Just hate to see things wait while they’re working out their decision.

Our governor's press conference today touched on the issue of vaccine acceptance by the staff at nursing homes. While 85% + of the residents have gotten the vaccine, only about 50% of the staff has. There were a number of factors that may impact the rate. Among them: 1.) Education/familiarization with vaccines - they have been rolling out education sessions for the staff. They have taken pre-education and post-education polls to measure acceptance rate for the participants, and that number always rises after the education session; 2) Language barriers - for many of the workers, English is not their native language, and even with education, they may not feel fully informed. The state is working to translate all the materials/videos into other languages; 3) Don't want to be first - the plan is for the vaccination teams to make 3 trips to each facility to get in both doses. Many of the workers said they wanted to take a pass on the first trip to see what happened to others. They'll still be able to get both doses in the 2d and 3d visits.; 4) A portion of the workers work 3d shift, and it is difficult for them to go back in to get a vaccination during the day.

As of today, the State of Connecticut has vaccinated 102k people (~2.9% of the population), with 1802 people having received their second shot. About 50% of the doses delivered have been used, which is what one would expect since you need to save some for the second dose. The governor says we could go faster if we had more supply.

Zoinks. That’s just a little glimpse into the complexity of getting these shots injected. I suspect there are other examples which help explain why this is off to a slower start than hoped.

My state seems to be picking up steam. We're at ~25K vaccinations, and about 3K of those were done (or reported) since yesterday's update. Or maybe we just had a good day.

My Dad is in a retirement home so he's category 1b. My youngest may be an essential food worker but probably not. The rest of us are in the last category, currently estimated in the April timeframe. But I am a relentless optimist, so I think it will be sooner.

This evening, the county sent out a text saying "Go to the web site to sign up for COVID vaccine." Five minutes later, while I was still trying to sign up my husband, a text went out saying all the appointments were gone.

Oh no, how disturbing! I'm sorry this happened to you and your DH. Hope there are more sign up opportunities soon. :(

The first wave of employees at my healthcare employer just got their second doses because they had gotten Pfizer. It will be about 2 weeks more for me because those of us in the second wave got it week later with Moderna, which has an additional week waiting time between doses. I haven't heard anything as to whether nursing home residents/staff or any others in the community have been vaccination outside of our organization. There was even an news story on TV this evening about the second doses being given to healthcare workers with no mention of the over-all community.

Last edited:
Snowbird SW Floridian here.

Just got my first vaccine shot this afternoon. These were made available for those age 65+ and healthcare workers.

Trying to get an appointment was a mess. Phone lines opened at noon on Monday and were immediately jammed with 50,000 calls a minute, peaking at 84,000 calls. Somehow, I managed to get through on my 48th call, 13 minutes into the melee.

Someone called me back Tuesday morning and got my detailed info, and gave me an appointment for this afternoon. I felt like I'd won a lottery! :dance:(I was also able to register my sis and BIL.)

In total contrast to the phone-in fiasco, I was amazed at the efficiency and speed of the process at the actual vaccination dispensing location. We arrived 45 minutes before our appointment time, which was the earliest we were told to arrive. There was no line, so they had us walk right in. Five minutes later we were in the last tent, sitting and waiting 15 minutes to make sure no one was having an allergic reaction. An EMT guy was cruising around in the tent, asking folks how they were feeling and answering any questions. He said he hadn't seen anyone with a negative reaction to the vaccine.

While in the waiting tent, we got a vaccination card from FL DOH indicating we'd gotten the Moderna vaccine and to get our second Moderna dose in 4 weeks. A possible "glitch"...the lady who handed us our cards said there's been no plan announced for HOW/WHEN/WHERE we are to get our second doses.:facepalm:

I guess we'll "stay tuned...."

omni

Had to get a root canal this morning - ugh. Dentist got his first shot yesterday and the rest of his staff is lined up. Seems dentists had to lobby the state to be included in the health care group. Since they are the most "in your face" health care providers it seems obvious to me, but bureaucrats gotta do their thing.

Those planning on celebrating Thanksgiving 2021 with family may want to time their vaccination accordingly. The vaccine could take a few weeks to become effective after the final shot, and it's possible it could be effective for as little as two months. I may be taking public transportation to a cousin next Thanksgiving and I'd like to have maximum immunity for that. As long as I stay healthy, make sure I get enough vitamin C and D, come in contact with people sparingly, disinfect, etc., I think it could be a good idea to delay getting vaccinated.

Those planning on celebrating Thanksgiving 2021 with family may want to time their vaccination accordingly. The vaccine could take a few weeks to become effective after the final shot, and it's possible it could be effective for as little as two months. I may be taking public transportation to a cousin next Thanksgiving and I'd like to have maximum immunity for that. As long as I stay healthy, make sure I get enough vitamin C and D, come in contact with people sparingly, disinfect, etc., I think it could be a good idea to delay getting vaccinated.

I realize it's still an unknown, but Moderna's CEO thinks it's likely closer to 2+ years.

Moderna's coronavirus vaccine likely prevents infection for 'a couple of YEARS,' CEO says as study suggests antibodies from the shot decline slowly.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...prevents-infection-couple-YEARS-CEO-says.html

omni

I realize it's still an unknown, but Moderna's CEO thinks it's likely closer to 2+ years.

That's good to know even if it's not confirmed. I'd actually choose that vaccine just based on that if there's no duration estimate for the others.

That's good to know even if it's not confirmed. I'd actually choose that vaccine [= Moderna] just based on that if there's no duration estimate for the others.

I met a graduate student this week whose parents both work for Pfizer. One even works on the Covid vaccine project. She said her parents said both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are good...but for seniors, the Moderna one is better.

omni

That's good to know even if it's not confirmed. I'd actually choose that vaccine just based on that if there's no duration estimate for the others.

They don't really know. Also, it may protect against strains with relatively minor mutations for many months but not against those with greater more significant mutations. There's already concern about possible lower efficacy against the South African variant due to the nature of the mutations of the spike protein, and we just started rolling out the vaccine a few weeks ago.

There is some protection by the time you get the second dose. With Moderna, a single dose gave 82% efficacy with a median follow up of 28 days from the first dose. That's right when the second dose would be due. However, I believe high risk people were excluded from that group, which would be expected to show better results with higher risk people excluded. Pfizer showed some protection before the second dose as well.

Last edited:
Hubby got his vaccine yesterday. He is active duty Coast Guard. They had extras after getting through their medical personnel and personnel on boats, so his medical guy called him and told him to run (literally run) over to get it before he gave it to someone else. He is on a special deployable team that has to activate and head out in within 12 hours to any disaster in the world (think earthquake in Haiti and Pakistan, hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico), so his medical guy knew he needed to have it ASAP so he would be considered deployable again. So thankful he was able to get it, he has his second dose already scheduled. Feels like we are one step closer to normalcy. He was also the biggest risk in our household for infection. He has to head into the city everyday and takes the train. I work from home and our girls attend the on base school, so we are pretty restricted in our outside contacts.

Zoinks. That’s just a little glimpse into the complexity of getting these shots injected. I suspect there are other examples which help explain why this is off to a slower start than hoped.

Can't speak for all areas but the slow start where I live isn't because of people not wanting to get the vaccine. They implemented an appointment system here and it completely fills up the same day openings become available. The limitations here are due to lack of doses and/or facilities given the shots, hopefully both will improve over time.

So onmi550 you actually got a shot and still aren't happy? Kind of illustrates how much criticism is out among the public. I guess no matter what they do there will be people complaining. Question, would you have refused the first dose if you had known about the TBD for the second shot.

As for the medical personnel declining. We have been shamed and scolded about "not caring" about the welfare of medical personnel when we flaunt COVID precautions. I don't know about you but if front line workers decline I feel they could be risking the health of me or my loved ones if we need medical care from them.

Last edited:
Just saw on the news that the Biden administration is planning on releasing all doses stored up. I guess we'll see if that helps anything long term. I assume the states will still store half for the second dose.

Just saw on the news that the Biden administration is planning on releasing all doses stored up. I guess we'll see if that helps anything long term. I assume the states will still store half for the second dose.

Not a lot of details about what the actual situation on vaccine storage actually is. The Feds are also distributing a lots of doses through Fed facilities. The VA system in my state for instance.

From what I'm seeing right now, it's the in state dispensing programs that are holding down the number of people vaccinated.. I'm not sure what the right answer is here.

That's not going to do anything to help the current situation. The problem is that states have only administered around 1/4 of the doses they already have. How would dumping more doses on the states help?

That's not going to do anything to help the current situation. The problem is that states have only administered around 1/4 of the doses they already have. How would dumping more doses on the states help?

But it's the news:D

They could dump more doses into my state, Connecticut. We will get them into arms pronto.

It sounds like part of the problem is that some of the vaccine is being reserved for second doses, but "A study published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine also found that administering first doses of a Covid-19 vaccine to more individuals instead of withholding available supply for use as a second dose may reduce the number of new cases."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/biden-vaccine-strategy/index.html

I don't know who to believe. My county says they have given all of the vaccine they've received and need more vaccine. Yet, it looks like the state has only given 32% of the doses received. Seems it should be 50% or higher to me (assuming they're holding back for 2nd rounds).

Facebook town hall with the military hospital here. Couple facts. Dept of defense has different priority groups than rest of states etc. Healthcare workers including civilian staff at military hospitals/clinics. First responders including MPs. Then deployable forces. Then over 65/preexisting conditions. Also, they only have Pfizer shots at the one near me. And they are helping with the Astrazeneca trial. South texss

I don't know who to believe. My county says they have given all of the vaccine they've received and need more vaccine. Yet, it looks like the state has only given 32% of the doses received. Seems it should be 50% or higher to me (assuming they're holding back for 2nd rounds).

The main takeaway is things vaccine wise aren't suddenly going to get dramatically better on January 20...there should a lot of fine tuning to improve numbers on an ongoing basis.

LOL got an email last week from my DH va clinic saying they were starting vaccinations of veterans on the 11th. They first did all staff and live in veterans. They will send appt letters ASAP. Got excited because we had a letter in the mail. But hold on, it was just a printed letter of last weeks email...no joy for you...false alarm!

My state just reported they expect to complete 1a vaccines and be ready to start 1b vaccines in late Jan. I'm in group 2, and there's a group 3 and 4 (DW) in our state. My GP will notify me when I'm eligible so I don't have to chase around, though I will watch what CVS & Walgreens are doing - if they're available before my GP I'll go there.

I haven't heard anything about how they're handling/managing second doses (yet).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom