Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Washington (the state) we continue to bombarded by ads and social media posting from nurses, doctors, med-techs, pharmacists, etc. telling us they got their shot, it didn't hurt, and we should all join them. That is great, and I am glad critically needed people in the medical field are being protected so they can protect us.

The problem is information on when and where the general public can join them is still at least a week away. That is all dependent on the PhaseFinder app which is going to somehow control all of the who, when and where of vaccinations via the honor system. We will see what happens.

Last edited:
Telly, the Week 5 distribution data is what I was commenting on in my post #1065 you quoted above. Looks like the state releases the upcoming week's planned distribution on Sunday, or at least they did so this week.

Yes, the number of doses being distributed is very disappointing.
It is my observation that if you want the most accurate numbers for comparison, use one of the 3 midweek days (Tue.-Thu.). The numbers on Fri.- Mon. are erratic because some places report data on weekends and some don't and do a catch up on Monday.

It is my observation that if you want the most accurate numbers for comparison, use one of the 3 midweek days (Tue.-Thu.). The numbers on Fri.- Mon. are erratic because some places report data on weekends and some don't and do a catch up on Monday.

Gumby, the data I am referring to comes from a weekly publication by the state, stating how many doses they will distribute in the coming week. Up until this week it had been released on Monday (I think), which is why I mentioned Sunday in my post. See this week's numbers here.

At 0930, vaccine appointment form was supposed to open online. At 0929 my button finger was ready.

"Server problems." I kept refreshing the form, but it never opened for me.

At 0939, county sent a text: "All COVID vaccine appointments are now full."

So, who the $#!+ was getting through, despite "server problems"? What could I be doing wrong?

They need to legalize and regulate bribes for vaccines. If someone paid me to stay home and not be vaccinated for a year, I'd be happy.

At 0930, vaccine appointment form was supposed to open online. At 0929 my button finger was ready.

So, who the $#!+ was getting through, despite "server problems"? What could I be doing wrong?

Maybe you don't know the right people? Might be one of those cases of it's not what you know it's who you know.

I can see it now - StubHub for vaccine slots.

What a cluster, so people without high speed internet just wait to the end?

And seniors clueless about technology wait even longer.

The only way my elderly mother was able to get the vaccine is that I, her daughter, have fast internet and I jumped all over it and I was persistent and made sure she got an appointment for last week. None of her friends got an appointment except one friend whose daughter "knew someone in the health department" and was able to get her father an appointment even after the website said all appointments were gone.

I read that Israel has a higher percentage of their population vaccinated and one reason is they're paying approximately 3 times as much for the Pfizer vaccine.

I heard Israel was doing much better on vaccinations, but not that they were paying extra. I assumed it was because Israel has a) a tradition of universal public service b) is extremely well organized c) is small.

I also read that they are still figuring out "what to do about" the Palestinians, whatever that means in terms of COVID and vaccinations...so, they still have their COVID worries.

No, no, no, not trying to start an Israel discussion. Keep it about vaccines!

I read that Israel has a higher percentage of their population vaccinated and one reason is they're paying approximately 3 times as much for the Pfizer vaccine.

NY firefighter union members submitted questions they had about the covid vaccines. One of their honchos has a buddy who is a virology researcher. The video below is a question and answer session between the two of them.

https://ufanyc.org/news/2020/12/covid-19-vaccine-video-qa-with-dr-eain-murphy/

I really liked the casual format and the easy to understand answers. I thought it was very interesting.

Please feel free to move this if it needs to be somewhere else.

The rollout seems to be a mess. I have several friends in their 30s/40s across the US who have been offered the vaccine at various institutions because doses had to be used up by the end of the day. You would think if they need to use up doses and are going out to friends and family they would at least make an effort to target >65. It's really disappointing.

ETA, that I always assumed there would be some of this and it wouldn't be 100% fair, but for me to know this many people is ridiculous.

The rollout seems to be a mess. I have several friends in their 30s/40s across the US who have been offered the vaccine at various institutions because doses had to be used up by the end of the day. You would think if they need to use up doses and are going out to friends and family they would at least make an effort to target >65. It's really disappointing.

ETA, that I always assumed there would be some of this and it wouldn't be 100% fair, but for me to know this many people is ridiculous.
We have a 50 something friend from NJ trumpeting her vaccination. She didn't share details how, but it might be this situation.

They need to legalize and regulate bribes for vaccines. If someone paid me to stay home and not be vaccinated for a year, I'd be happy.

Bribes to get a spot near the front of the line are not legal? Who knew?

youbet from Shee-Caw-Go

Last edited:
DM is 90 y.o. and sees the nightly news about the rollout locally for those over 65. While news reports indicate it's available the local health dept reports they still have not received any additional doses and are still out. Wait and see.

DM is 90 y.o. and sees the nightly news about the rollout locally for those over 65. While news reports indicate it's available the local health dept reports they still have not received any additional doses and are still out. Wait and see.

Could you start checking other nearby counties that your mother could go to? Here in NC you aren't limited to your county of residence. I am hearing of folks driving up to 100 miles to another county for the vaccination.

I heard someone joke that they should train Amazon delivery drivers to administer the vaccines. You could get the vaccine at the same time they delivered your amazon order. Most of the country would be vaccinated in no time. Obviously a joke, but sure would be nice.

I heard someone joke that they should train Amazon delivery drivers to administer the vaccines. You could get the vaccine at the same time they delivered your amazon order. Most of the country would be vaccinated in no time. Obviously a joke, but sure would be nice.
Well, yeah, obviously a joke since they had a hard time delivering toilet paper last spring.

We have to remember the number of manufactured doses is far below those who want it, regardless of distribution issues.

But I still think Bezos and his billions could put a little into this logistical effort. The logistics do match the situation.

+1

Look at it this way....

My father was a surgeon, and gave my brothers and me all of our shots while we were growing up (probably for LBYM reasons). As a little girl I knew my daddy would never, ever hurt me so shots were not a problem. He told me to look away, and that "this may pinch a little bit", but I never felt any pain beyond that. Probably that was because I trusted him implicitly. Now that I am grown (and he is gone) I still look away but I still don't mind shots. That trust is still there even though my father isn't here to do it any more.

So, I am thinking that for some people a big part of the pain involved in shots may be wrapped up in distrust of whoever is giving the shot? Worth considering anyway.
That's great. The needles were a lot thicker back then too.

They use to chase me around the doctor's office. I hated getting shots.

Now, no problem. I literally didn't feel a thing when I got my flu shot.

We have a 50 something friend from NJ trumpeting her vaccination. She didn't share details how, but it might be this situation.

It's been reported that because of manpower issues many communities are doing very little to verify employment or age requirements for vaccines and are using the honor system, assuming people are reporting the correct information. I'm sure more than a few are willing to lie to jump ahead.

It's been reported that because of manpower issues many communities are doing very little to verify employment or age requirements for vaccines and are using the honor system, assuming people are reporting the correct information. I'm sure more than a few are willing to lie to jump ahead.

There always is someone who thinks they are special. In the long run one more person vaccinated is one more person vaccinated..

In our governor's press conference today, he outlined how the state is moving forward on vaccination. They are completing the nursing homes and medical workers this week and will start in on the 75 + cohort (not in a nursing home) next week.

They have been combing through the hospital system electronic records, as well as working with the Dept. of Public Health, local anti-poverty groups, senior centers and religious organizations to identify all those over 75, who will be contacted directly by telephone to set up a vaccine appointment, although there will also be an ability to sign up online for those people.

There are currently 100 vaccine locations in the state and more are being rolled out daily. Currently, there are two mass vaccination sites being set up - one at the Hartford Convention Center and one at UConn's football stadium, with more to follow. There are also plans in the works to implement an idea mentioned earlier here - vaccine mobiles to go to specific neighborhoods, especially those where people may not have cars.

I am heartened by our progress here in CT. So far 140k people (about 4% of the population) have been vaccinated - 60k in the past seven days. We still need to double the pace if we are to get everyone done by the end of June, but it seems that they are doing the things that will get us there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom