Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a serious question? Explain how that would have worked..Do you remember what happened to the IRA website when EVERONE tried to log on at the same time because they were impatient about their free money?

The IRA website is way more robust then these local entities.

They can't handle extra traffic so by starting early so they could at least sign up SOME people over the first few months. That would also expose the system limitations and provide time to implement a fix or a workaround.

I offered a solution. Do you have a better one other than do nothing?

They can't handle extra traffic so by starting early so they could at least sign up SOME people over the first few months. That would also expose the system limitations and provide time to implement a fix or a workaround.

I offered a solution. Do you have a better one other than do nothing?

Yes mine was to cut back on the fine tuning. Even if you sign someone up months in advance you need a second contact to set a time and place...

They cant deal with the people that are eligible now so going for future signups would just muddy the waters. I wish there was a simple solution..

Opening up available slots at a specific time and having the quickest on the draw get the appointment is really a dumb idea. Why not have a casual "registration page", where if you were ready, willing and able for a vaccination in the next three days, you'd fill it out. You randomly select "winners" and SMS or email them. If they don't confirm, the slot goes to the next guy. And just like the airlines, overbook by a percentage to cover no-shows. You'd match throughput or supply, whatever your bottleneck.

One of our local counties is doing just that - a lottery system for those who sign up. There is a vaccine standby pool of people they pull names from and call. I think this is so much fairer than whoever can click a button fastest.

https://www.mymanatee.org/departments/public_safety/coronavirus_information/covid-19_vaccine

I agree! This would also allow putting 90-year-olds, who need the vaccine most, ahead of 65-year-olds, who are naturally quicker on the draw (I realize most of the really old ones have family helping them, but not all do).

One of our local counties is doing just that - a lottery system for those who sign up. There is a vaccine standby pool of people they pull names from and call. I think this is so much fairer than whoever can click a button fastest.

https://www.mymanatee.org/departments/public_safety/coronavirus_information/covid-19_vaccine

Just heard that Op Warp Speed was going to change to distribute all available doses and not holding back 50% for the 2nd shot. Also that they were going to recommend that vaccinations be open to all 65 and over.

Sounds like what Dr Gottlieb has been calling for. Now to see what the Biden team will do next week.

I am still waiting on someone to ask one of the "experts" on media why they can't follow the flu vaccine model. I have Tricare but was able to get the flu shot free from DW's Kaiser no questions asked. Others get it through a pharma or other location.

I still have 5 months before I turn 65 so looks like I may be waiting or hanging out to see if there is some left at end of the day and I can get a jab before it is thrown out.

Second vaccine dose in a different state

So what needs to be done to get the 2nd does in a different state from the original state? Tried to contact a health department in Md who essentially said they couldn't do it. So if you go to Fl for the winter you need to wait until after you return to receive the vaccination? Has anyone else ran into this issue? We have this issue with 2 different people in our family: one who needs to receive the 2nd dose in Md and one who needs to receive the 2nd dose in Fl. In both cases the 1st dose was administered in WV.

My smallish (40K people) county on Ohio is doing a decent job.

They are accepting pre-registration for the 1B cohort (by filling out an online form). This is aged based and they plan on vaccinating folks aged:

80+ Week of January 18th
75+ Week of January 25th
70+ Week of February 1st
65+ Week of February 8th

They explain that they expect to have enough vaccine, but can't guarantee it. They'll do their best with what the state allocates them.

Not bad for small town America.

Are they having the local vets give the vaccines? :D:LOL:

They are indeed having vets give vaccines to people! Well maybe not yet, but soon. California recently added veterinary staff to the phase 1a group specifically because they can vaccinate others. DD works in a vet office and was just informed a few days ago that she can get her first dose now.

This really has nothing to do with Petco though. They just have naming rights for the San Diego Padres home stadium, and this clinic is taking place in the stadium parking lots.

Mississippi announced today 65 and over plus people with underlying health issues(18-64) can now sign up. As expected the system is overloaded and can't get through. Maybe I will try late tonight.

I heard an interesting comment today from a member of Biden's CV Advisory Team. He thinks that various rules and regulations on who gets the vaccine when are just causing delays and confusing. His recommendation was simple. Do it by age. It's easy to verify, and hits 90%+ of the most vulnerable people.

KISS.

Edit: The above was to be done after the front line workers are all vaccinated.

I think there would be resistance to that, namely there are like 20 states that dont require ID to vote. You gonna require ID to verify age to get the shot? Sounds potentially discrminatory, would be the argument. Goign to verify via some kind of online system? Good luck, o way could we do that in my city. TOo big and too cumbersome. Its a freeforall. Going to go by honor system of age? OK maybe. Better than requiring ID i think. My 2 cents, worth what you paid for it

Mississippi announced today 65 and over plus people with underlying health issues(18-64) can now sign up. As expected the system is overloaded and can't get through. Maybe I will try late tonight.

My state, NC, too. What are "underlying health issues"? Have you seen a concise definition?

So, I have heart stents (but am doing fine, and it was 13 years ago). I have high blood pressure (but take medication, Metoprolol, and have it under control). Do I have "heart disease"?

Edit: This seems to be an official definition: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

Last edited:
My state, NC, too. What are "underlying health issues"? Have you seen a concise definition?

So, I have heart stents (but am doing fine, and it was 13 years ago). I have high blood pressure (but take medication, Metoprolol, and have it under control). Do I have "heart disease"?

Edit: This seems to be an official definition: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

Didn't see anything concise. On the website I used I believe that info is shown when you click on the bracket that applies to you. I bypassed that as I fell into the 65+ group.

After many tries i finally got an appt. Couldn't get one nearby as no time slots available. But in the county next to me I got one for this Friday. Only a 40 minute drive so no biggie. It will be the Moderna vaccine fwiw.

This floored him, because he had paid for the antibody test to be done at the appropriate interval after his vaccination, and it came out negative. So he thought all along that he was in the placebo group! But no.

He should tell his primary care doctor about this. Sounds like he may have an auto-immune disease. No clinical trials have tested for anyone with cancer so there's literally no idea what the effects of a vaccine will be on someone diagnosed with cancer. I'm not saying he has cancer, but his body did not develop antibodies after the vaccine and that should be very concerning to him. He needs to find out why.
I talked to my oncologist today about getting a vaccine. He said I should not get it. He said it was highly unlikely I would develop the antibodies for several months after treatment and that no one knows what the side effects will be for anyone who has cancer or being treated for cancer. He said I did not want to find out either.

He should tell his primary care doctor about this. Sounds like he may have an auto-immune disease. No clinical trials have tested for anyone with cancer so there's literally no idea what the effects of a vaccine will be on someone diagnosed with cancer. I'm not saying he has cancer, but his body did not develop antibodies after the vaccine and that should be very concerning to him. He needs to find out why.
I talked to my oncologist today about getting a vaccine. He said I should not get it. He said it was highly unlikely I would develop the antibodies for several months after treatment and that no one knows what the side effects will be for anyone who has cancer or being treated for cancer. He said I did not want to find out either.
I got some more information from him tonight. He says,

"On the antibody test, they told me that commercial antibody tests test for the presence of the N protein or the S protein, both of which are produced by the antibodies present when you have had the disease. The antibodies present when you have had the vaccine produce only the S protein, so if my test was testing for the N protein the test wouldn't find it. Anyway I am sure they are correct about which shot I received. They spent a lot of money developing this vaccine and running this trial, and I am sure they made sure they didn't invalidate the trial by recording people in the wrong group."

OK, he sounds pretty sure, and he's a bright guy, so I think I'll accept his evaluation of their response.

"On the antibody test, they told me that commercial antibody tests test for the presence of the N protein or the S protein, both of which are produced by the antibodies present when you have had the disease. The antibodies present when you have had the vaccine produce only the S protein, so if my test was testing for the N protein the test wouldn't find it. Anyway I am sure they are correct about which shot I received. They spent a lot of money developing this vaccine and running this trial, and I am sure they made sure they didn't invalidate the trial by recording people in the wrong group."

OK, he sounds pretty sure, and he's a bright guy, so I think I'll accept his evaluation of their response.

By coincidence a good friend of ours here just received a letter this week inviting her to take part in a survey run by the NHS/Imperial College/ipsos Mori. Our friend is aged 78 and she has signed up for the survey.

The survey is going to include a home anti-body Covid test kit and the letter warns that anti-body test kits produce a lot of false negative and positive results.

It's so screwed up here we might as well just chuck the recommendations & go by age cohort...couldn't be any slower.

Our state (NC) is probably going to change to the CDC recommendations of everyone over 65 can get the shot. This will help me and my DH as we are over 65 but I think it is a mistake --I think essential workers like police, fire, teachers, grocery workers should be next. The counties that are taking reservations for the shots for over age 75 seem to be running well but the counties that have long lines for first come first serve are disastrous--old people sitting in their cars all night in the cold waiting for the vaccine and many being turned away because they run out of shots. What a mess.

It's quite easy to find out what protein the test looked for if you have the name of the test. There is a list of approved tests at the FDA website. https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...ices/eua-authorized-serology-test-performance.

There was an article back in June about testing for the N vs S protein antibodies in the New York Times. It explained why there were so many negative antibody tests. The N protein antibodies decay quickly.

In his shoes, I would find a lab that will administer a good test for spike protein. The gold standard is the Mt. Sinai test, which is now commercially available through Kantaro Biosciences. I would be worried if I could not find antibodies several weeks after the second shot using a high quality test for spike protein.

Florida Publix SM Just opened Appointments for Covid.

As usual I cannot seem to get into the appointments page. And I did it immediately it was announced.

:dance: After waiting almost 30 mins I managed to get an appointment!!! :dance: Only 3 Miles down the road.

... the counties that have long lines for first come first serve are disastrous--old people sitting in their cars all night in the cold waiting for the vaccine and many being turned away because they run out of shots. What a mess.

Sounds like Florida. My wife went to the website in Jacksonville as instructed to get a date and time for her first injection. Filled out the paperwork online etc. They give no confirmation which is a poor use of their computers. Then days later when she went to get her shot as she was told to do they turned her away because her name was not on their list. So even if you do sign up and are in the group that is supposed to get the vaccine you may not. They have nothing to confirm your date and time so no matter how many times you continue to sign up and are given an appointment you still may not get immunized.

Cheers!

Sounds like Florida. My wife went to the website in Jacksonville as instructed to get a date and time for her first injection. Filled out the paperwork online etc. They give no confirmation which is a poor use of their computers. Then days later when she went to get her shot as she was told to do they turned her away because her name was not on their list. So even if you do sign up and are in the group that is supposed to get the vaccine you may not. They have nothing to confirm your date and time so no matter how many times you continue to sign up and are given an appointment you still may not get immunized. Cheers!

Did she get a confirmation to print off after she signed up, at the end of the form after she hit "continue", then it says Please print this page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom