Craziest choice you’ve made in the past few years?

mickj

Recycles dryer sheets
Not necessarily something I usually do, I don’t think it is some thing that most people on this form do. But what is the craziest thing you’ve done in the past few years?

Besides having two heart attacks, (I know.. not really my choice) I would have to say investing a large portion of my retirement in a single stock has been the craziest thing I’ve done. Thankfully it turned out better than I could’ve expected. Probably wouldn’t have started this thread if it hadn’t. It doesn’t have to be investment or finance related.

The craziest thing I’ve done is build my pool. I’m sure I won’t get my money out of it but we’ll get some good times with the grand children out of it. Thankfully me and DW enjoy it, but again, there’s no way it was a financially smart move.

Investment related, my choices have been very, very boring. As it should be, IMO. A long time ago I was heavily invested in a single company, mostly through stock options, and it worked until it didn't, when the dotcom bubble burst. Then I realized why diversification is a better plan.

I'll keep my personal life to myself, but I'm not hiding anything very crazy.

I stayed at home for a year and did not meet any friends [emoji15]

The craziest thing I’ve done is build my pool. I’m sure I won’t get my money out of it but we’ll get some good times with the grand children out of it. Thankfully me and DW enjoy it, but again, there’s no way it was a financially smart move.

You're not the Lone Ranger on putting an in ground pool. We had a problem, and the pool contractor finally came to dig up some concrete and fix it. Not very trustworthy bunch.

Now I'm 1 year behind landscaping and laying sod. But we're enjoying playing with the grandkids in it.

Last year in March, we closed on a house we bought that was twice as expensive as the old one, the same day the Dow was down over 3000 points. And the old house was not yet sold at that time. Looking back it now, it looks like a brilliant move as housing prices have skyrocketed since that time. But at the moment, at the onset of Covid, and without the big paychecks from Megacorp since retirement, it seemed more than a bit risky at the time.

Last edited:
In 2015 I saw a realtor pounding a "For Sale" sign into the ground at 9 PM, at the home next door to Frank's. I had no idea about the square footage, price, or anything else except location location location.

It seemed crazy at the time since I wasn't actively looking for a house, but I called my real estate guy by 9:15, and he called the sellers' realtor before 9:30 and managed to snag the first viewing. That viewing was the very next morning, and I immediately made a full price cash offer a couple of hours later (as soon as I had viewed the home and had run the idea past Frank.) This was several days before it hit the MLS, and less than 24 hours after seeing the sign being pounded into the ground. Yes, my real estate guy was amazing and really came through for me. And Frank was pretty amazing too, since he didn't even ask me to wait.

Seemed like a pretty high asking price at that time! But now, vacant lots are selling for half again what I paid. So, you never know. :)

IMO this is a classic example of the old saying, "No risk, no reward".

Did a cash out refinance and bought a piece of land to build our retirement home on in early 2021. I got lucky as the land was in a land trust, but it did not technically qualify and the assessor pulled it out after I inquired, saving me back taxes. The owner then was told he was going to have to pay ordinary taxes on it, so he came down $29k on price. (I did not call the assessor to rat the owner out, I called to find out how much the land use back taxes would be...they would have been $12K)

Too embarrassing. I try not to think about it anymore.

Too embarrassing. I try not to think about it anymore.
Hey, we're just electrons on a screen! Don't be embarrassed by us. :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 302
Nope, there are real people I know on here.
OMG!!! You are braver than I am. :ROFLMAO:

OK, Frank knows I post here, but he has no interest in reading what we post here. I think he posted maybe a dozen times, about 10 years ago.

The craziest thing that I have done is to plan about my retirement.

Haven't done any craziness lately. But soon I'mma gonna buy me another boat and rent a slip!

The craziest thing that I have done is to plan about my retirement.

Same!

For those putting in a pool you won’t regret it. Put one in 18 years ago and it was the best investment I’ve ever made.
Grandkids come over just about every afternoon to swim.
When they spend the night they swim at night and get up and swim in the morning. I just love it!
I also swim every night. So relaxing. It’s one of those things that is more important than money.

Now, back to planning my retirement date.

I had a combo of stuff happen all at once:

Decided I was over it at MC, interviewed with another MC and accepted a similar job.
Notified my MC. When my boss put out an email announcing my imminent departure, an SVP in completely different part of my old MC contacted me directly asking if he could offer me something to make me stay. Long story short, he did, with a promotion. I took that phone call while I was in the middle of a wedding dress fitting, with my house on the market.

In a span of two months I changed jobs, got married, sold my house, and moved. I wouldn't have decided to do it all together, it just sort of happened. A friend remarked I was insane to take it all on at once, but luckily it hadn't dawned on me and all worked out.

I submitted my resignation from my very secure well-paying government job 10 years before MRA. Pretty much everyone thinks I'm crazy.. Including me! While it is kind of normal in this small self-selected group, it is pretty darn crazy!

A bit more on theme, despite being very LBYM I got married, bought a big house, bought a new imported sports car. -All three were undone in short order and I'm back to LBYM! Can't say I regret any of them but wouldn't have done any of them if I had a do-over.

Haven't done any craziness lately. But soon I'mma gonna buy me another boat and rent a slip!

^^^I did this.^^^

But, it was at the beginning of the pandemic and it's the first boat I've ever owned. Learning something new & BTD every day...and loving every minute of it! :dance:

Attachments

• 912D1EF1-F4F2-4B6B-A5BE-4967CBD84EE7_1_201_a.jpg
    912D1EF1-F4F2-4B6B-A5BE-4967CBD84EE7_1_201_a.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
To celebrate my 80th birthday, along with joining United Flying Octogenarians was to pilot a WW 2 P-51 Fighter!
We even made a low pass over our local airport and our house.

Attachments

• IMG_6360 (2).JPG
    IMG_6360 (2).JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 55
To celebrate my 80th birthday, along with joining United Flying Octogenarians was to pilot a WW 2 P-51 Fighter!
We even made a low pass over our local airport and our house.

And the winner is ........ Souschef:dance:

Although, since you are an experienced pilot, probably not that crazy on the risk side, but I bet it was pricey :D

^^^I did this.^^^

But, it was at the beginning of the pandemic and it's the first boat I've ever owned. Learning something new & BTD every day...and loving every minute of it! :dance:

That is awesome. I'd love to hear more about that if you'd like to share in a pm. I'm thinking that route in a year.

A choince I missed out on was this 2002 Honda, >30 days ago under 2k.
I'm old and slow, a faster youngster got it first dammit!

Good luck & Best wishes......

Attachments

• 67F1F755-7482-4E32-8492-8AC10375F883_4_5005_c.jpeg
    67F1F755-7482-4E32-8492-8AC10375F883_4_5005_c.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
I bought a townhouse before walking through it. We did get in for inspection and final walkthrough before closing. But when we put in the offer in April last year, real estate walkthroughs weren’t permitted because of Covid. We bought it for my son and his family to move into from across the country. It’s mostly worked out well. Some diy work by the previous owner needs to be redone. But they’re happy they’re out of the Seattle area and near family.

In 2015 I saw a realtor pounding a "For Sale" sign into the ground at 9 PM, at the home next door to Frank's. I had no idea about the square footage, price, or anything else except location location location.

It seemed crazy at the time since I wasn't actively looking for a house, but I called my real estate guy by 9:15, and he called the sellers' realtor before 9:30 and managed to snag the first viewing. That viewing was the very next morning, and I immediately made a full price cash offer a couple of hours later (as soon as I had viewed the home and had run the idea past Frank.) This was several days before it hit the MLS, and less than 24 hours after seeing the sign being pounded into the ground. Yes, my real estate guy was amazing and really came through for me. And Frank was pretty amazing too, since he didn't even ask me to wait.

Seemed like a pretty high asking price at that time! But now, vacant lots are selling for half again what I paid. So, you never know. :)

IMO this is a classic example of the old saying, "No risk, no reward".

Hats off to Frank. He must be a keeper. I mean what was he gonna say? That could have been an awkward conversation. Dammed if you do dammed if you don’t lol.

Back
Top Bottom