Creepy Facebook Friend

Only use it for neighborhood private group when stuff happens like power failure.

Only use it for neighborhood private group when stuff happens like power failure.
I am not on FB, but that's what some of our neighbors do. Just today, someone had their dog escape from their backyard overnight. They went to FB this morning to post info and photos about the missing dog.

I am on FB only to stay in touch with out of town relatives and friends. Although I don't like all of the updates and "suggestions" and am getting pretty fed up with it.

But found it is handy for selling things you no longer need. Also, around here a lot of small businesses may be on Facebook, but don't have a web site.

That, plus I have found it useful for finding out about local events. In "the old days" I would have looked in the local newspapers, message boards in stores, and on signs and posters. Nowadays, a lot of event organizers (at least around here) rely mainly on FB for event promotion, so I'd miss out were I not on it.

Even though I never have had an account I would have to agree with you. Some of these social media platforms can be a very useful and informative product. Not all a bad thing but one thing they can do is dictate/control one's life.

Cough, 7900+ posts later on social media, cough. :LOL:

Personally, I'm not interested in collecting fake friends on Facebook. I don't use it except for some specific interest groups.

I get by just fine with wonderful communities like this one. My family has to message me the old fashioned ways.

The people commenting on here about how proud they are that they don’t use Facebook crack me up. It reminds me of people who like to brag they don’t have a TV or never watch TV. If you’ve never had Facebook then you don’t understand how useful it is.
For instance, I am a member of many camping groups and I’ve learned a lot from other campers about great places to go or just how to fix something.
I’ve seen wonderful videos and photos from people all over the world. Just recently someone posted a fantastic time lapse of flowers opening up on a cactus in NV.
During Covid, there were many offers made to give assistance for places to stay on private property when the campgrounds were closing.
There are cruise groups with valuable information.
There is a great Buy Nothing group for your area which is very helpful for people with children as people are giving away useful items for FREE.
Facebook is what you make of it.

The people commenting on here about how proud they are that they don’t use Facebook crack me up. It reminds me of people who like to brag they don’t have a TV or never watch TV. If you’ve never had Facebook then you don’t understand how useful it is.
For instance, I am a member of many camping groups and I’ve learned a lot from other campers about great places to go or just how to fix something.
I’ve seen wonderful videos and photos from people all over the world. Just recently someone posted a fantastic time lapse of flowers opening up on a cactus in NV.
During Covid, there were many offers made to give assistance for places to stay on private property when the campgrounds were closing.
There is a great Buy Nothing group for your area which is very helpful for people with children as people are giving away useful items for FREE.

I use a deceased relative's account for the above, plus to post comments where the website requires one to have a Facebook account to post.

They have become unusually opinionated since their demise. :)

I am on Twitter, Instagram and FB to this extent:

Twitter-follow news and consequential folks such as bond king Jeffrey Gundlach and financial folks that I respect. Also a few friends and family members whom I message there. I never tweet. No profile details.

Instagram-similar to Twitter but more active with younger family members. Rarely post but do DM.

Facebook- nothing filled out on my profile. I am a member of several groups tied to schools I attended, medical resources, etc. Which I find both helpful and fun. I do not send or accept friend requests.

I find these really useful and can stay out of the crazy stuff and political misinformation and drama.

Last edited:

Is there a group for luddites and people with better things to do? Or a group for folks who are concerned about invasion of privacy? Or a group for folks who don't trust who FB shares your data with? Or...

I'm glad we crack you up. It's nice to know you have a sense of humor even if it's at someone else's expense. A sense of humor is a very good thing to have, no matter how it's based...I guess.:flowers:

More reason for me to never access Facebook via its app :).

A number of things happened that I didn't intend, including friending and reporting posts, when I used Facebook with the app. While it seemed to be related to pocketing the phone without locking it, I've never had similar issues with any other app.

I've not used the phone app (iOS) for Facebook in years.

Cough, 7900+ posts later on social media, cough. :LOL:

True! I racked up 4000 Tweets in just over two years during the pandemic before I wiped the account last year. It's now read only for some emergency information and news accounts.

Is there a group for luddites and people with better things to do? Or a group for folks who are concerned about invasion of privacy? Or a group for folks who don't trust who FB shares your data with? Or...

I'm glad we crack you up. It's nice to know you have a sense of humor even if it's at someone else's expense. A sense of humor is a very good thing to have, no matter how it's based...I guess.:flowers:

What do you mean “better things to do” ? you’re on here all the time [emoji16][emoji16]

What do you mean “better things to do” ? you’re on here all the time [emoji16][emoji16]

Yeah, IMHO, on here is a "better thing to do" than say, FB - but that's just me so YMMV.

Yeah, IMHO, on here is a "better thing to do" than say, FB - but that's just me so YMMV.

As far as practical information, it's safe to say I've learned more here than on Facebook.:cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom