Crowns

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
On March 4, 2008 I had a temporary crown put on and really haven't thought much else about it. Went out of town and sure enough, broke the darn thing. Just back from my trip so will call the dentist tomorrow.

Just wondered, how long does it take your dentist to get a crown made and installed in your mouth? I have never waited this long. This guy replaced my old dentist as the old one took ER. Heh heh, he might even be a reader here.

I think mine was about six or eight weeks. Saw an article about how they're made and there's a huge amount of fine detail work involved. They are (or should be) custom made for each individual.

Just wondered, how long does it take your dentist to get a crown made and installed in your mouth?

The lab that my dentist uses usually gets them made in 2-3 weeks. The dentist can make you a temporary crown to wear in the meantime.

omni

A week or two, in my experience (have nine).

I have 2 crowns and each took 2 weeks for the permanent one to be made.

I had one a few weeks ago. Dentist had a computer assisted gizmo that made it in about 1 hour. He ground the tooth down to accept crown, took some pictures that went into a computer, fiddled with the software to design the crown, took me to the back room to watch an automated machine that used 2 dental drills on something kinda like a lathe make it, stuck it on and charged me $600. Not a bad experience.

Depends on if the dentist makes them in house or sends them out to a lab. If they go out to a lab, depends on their workload. Usually 1-2 weeks.

Some dentists use the new instant process where they can make them in house in under an hour. Have no experience with those but a nearby dentist does a pretty brisk business.

I had one a few weeks ago. Dentist had a computer assisted gizmo that made it in about 1 hour. He ground the tooth down to accept crown, took some pictures that went into a computer, fiddled with the software to design the crown, took me to the back room to watch an automated machine that used 2 dental drills on something kinda like a lathe make it, stuck it on and charged me $600. Not a bad experience.

Mine cost $870. Still have dentist insurance so it cost me 1/2 that price. But it runs out soon so might be time to look for a new dentist. Chaps my butt to cost that much and 8 weeks later, I don't have it.

I've had two crowns over the last 5 years put in by two different dentists', both gold. The first temporary crown was made from some sort of hard plastic but held up well and the permanent crown was there in two weeks, cost $620..

The second temporary by the 2nd dentist was made from aluminum and held up well with the permanent installed 4 weeks later, cost $575... after a $950. root canal. I now refer to that as my million dollar tooth! :)

Man, my dentist charges almost 1k for a crown. Everyone else is under 900. :(

I got my crowns in April and June of 2007. Each cost $783 after a cash discount.

MY God the prices, what did they make them out of? We paid $450 for a crown. Porcelain over gold. Got them done while I was still covered by COBRA so the insurance picked up most of it.

8 crowns. The last one was $800. Others were a while ago. 2 weeks typical with the temporary waiting for the permanent to come from the lab.

Had a temporary crown for one week while waiting for the permanent one. Three trips to the dentist, $350 total cost, around July 2006; Bangkok.

The computer assisted gizmo is called a Cerec and I had 2 of them done, one at a time. It was about 1.5 hours from beginning to end, completely painless, although you do sit for long stretches with your mouth open.

After novocaine the dentist paints the tooth with something for the computer aided 3D photography and he takes a series of pictures. Then he grinds away the part of the tooth that will be replaced. Then he paints whats left and takes another set of 3D pics. Then he sat at the chairside computer and manipulated the images to add or subtract where the material would be generated. My dentist is a real artist and he loves technology. He wanted some additional material so that he could grind it off for a custom fit.

Then he picked out a blank, chosen by size and color, to match the tooth he was replacing. The Cerec machine used a water jet to grind down the blank into the crown. Then the dentist did a few test fittings and ground away what he needed to until he liked the fit and the bite. Then it was glued in and a special light quick hardened the glue.

Each one cost $560 and I had to pay 50%, but I had known this was coming and planned in advance and had the money in the Flexible Spending Account.

Here's a link to the Cerec site.
Sirona - The Dental Company

Last edited:
Cerec is the way to go

The Cerec is definately the way to go if you have the option. Those types of crowns will last much longer than those created in a lab. An infrared camera is used as opposed to a mold which leads to a better fitting crown with less chance of nasty bacteria getting between the crown and tooth. I've had both and I must say that 1 trip to the dentist office is much better than 4.

I watched one of those morning news programs today and they were talking about crowns dentists get from China for 10 bucks and re-sell here for $600+. Aside from poor fitting crowns, a major problem is the crowns contain lead. It's actually the porcelain not the metal underneath that contains lead. I believe one crown tested had 590ppm. They compared that number to the maximum allowable limit of 90ppm on kids toys. I have no idea is the lead in the porcelain is readily absorbed by the body. I'm thinking it's not a good thing to put something that contains lead into your mouth.

I watched one of those morning news programs today and they were talking about crowns dentists get from China for 10 bucks and re-sell here for $600+. Aside from poor fitting crowns, a major problem is the crowns contain lead. It's actually the porcelain not the metal underneath that contains lead. I believe one crown tested had 590ppm. They compared that number to the maximum allowable limit of 90ppm on kids toys. I have no idea is the lead in the porcelain is readily absorbed by the body. I'm thinking it's not a good thing to put something that contains lead into your mouth.
I cannot help thinking that this is propaganda being spread by the Crown Labs who want to spread fear to protect their business. I have a friend that sells these crowns and they are guaranteed to be equal to or better than the alternatives. The low prices are not because of material but because of the extremely low labor costs. They can actually get a custom crown from China faster than your dentist can get it from a local lab.

The specifications are transmitted electronically and, with plenty of equipment and no labor shortages, they are turned around in short order. So the delay is strictly shipping time. YMMV

They can actually get a custom crown from China faster than your dentist can get it from a local lab.

Based on how long it took to get the crown made, mine must not be from China. I'm going in this afternoon as it came in while I was out of town. I plan to ask if it was made in China. :bat:

Okay guys. I'm a practicing dentist so I'll give you my two cents on the various comments made.

- Most crown turn around times are 1-2 weeks. Although you can do it in a day or two if necessary

- Cerec is a great technology to have. It is true that the scanning allows you to get the crown within hours. But it is not true that the fit is better than a lab. I think they are more or less comparable. the negatives on cerec is that the crown is actually weaker than most lab made crowns, due to the material being used (porcelain block). Also cerec is a less esthetic crown due to the inablility to create any translucency in the porcelain, although if it is a tooth in the back of your mouth you won't notice the difference.

- The metal content of a crown is important. Not only from a health standpoint, but from a casting quality standpoint. Many people have metal sensitivities so you want to use gold, palladium, or titanium....Not lead!

I agree...a porcelain on gold crown is pretty much your best bet for appearance and long lasting life.

Had my crown installed this afternoon but the crown I broke 2 days ago wasn't the temporary one, it was a permanent crown.:eek: But the good news is......it was only 16 months old so they are going to replace that one for free. :)

Guess I need to start eating soft stuff like my 90 year old mom. :'(

Had my crown installed this afternoon but the crown I broke 2 days ago wasn't the temporary one, it was a permanent crown.:eek: But the good news is......it was only 16 months old so they are going to replace that one for free. :)

Guess I need to start eating soft stuff like my 90 year old mom. :'(

I have enough crowns in my mouth to be royality and I have never had one break . Sounds like it was a faulty crown .

Back
Top Bottom