Current Hotel Food/Beverage ammenities

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For those of you who have traveled lately, many of us would appreciate finding out what is up with hotel food and beverage amenities. In particular, the 'free' morning breakfast, and any ongoing coffee/tea type service throughout the day.

Covid has interfered with a lot of this, and it would be good to know what to expect. In particular, if you could list the hotel, city and approximate date of travel, that would be nice. I have heard that hotel breakfasts are making a slow comeback in some areas. Others, not so much.

Since Covid started a year ago we've been bringing our own breakfasts. As long as there is a microwave, we're fine. Hot buffet breakfasts haven't been available at all in places we've stayed, but most will give you a takeout bag of something and coffee is usually available.

It varies but it's getting better. My experience is with Hilton properties, mostly Hampton Inn- only 7 nights to go before Diamond!

Took a trip in January, KC area to SC and brought my own coffee maker- wasn't sure what to expect. Every place I've been (7 nights this year) has had free-flowing coffee. Buffets are gone. Mostly it's "grab-and-go" although they're finally getting away from pre-packaged bags/boxes where you don't have much choice of items or quantity and putting out individually-packaged items so you can choose. Examples: fruit (apples and oranges are wrapped), containers of yogurt, cartons of milk and juice, oatmeal packets, packaged hard-boiled eggs, packaged muffins and pseudo-bagels. (I lived in NJ 25 years. I know what a real bagel looks like. :D)

The exception was a Hilton Garden Inn in Sioux City, IA- they had a menu and the server brought your order to your table.

I've got family scattered around and have done a few road trips and have gotten used to bringing my own stuff from home to the extent I can, using takeout (Subway is one of my go-tos) and occasionally picking things up at local grocery stores.

It varies but it's getting better. My experience is with Hilton properties, mostly Hampton Inn- only 7 nights to go before Diamond!

Took a trip in January, KC area to SC and brought my own coffee maker- wasn't sure what to expect. Every place I've been (7 nights this year) has had free-flowing coffee. Buffets are gone. Mostly it's "grab-and-go" although they're finally getting away from pre-packaged bags/boxes where you don't have much choice of items or quantity and putting out individually-packaged items so you can choose. Examples: fruit (apples and oranges are wrapped), containers of yogurt, cartons of milk and juice, oatmeal packets, packaged hard-boiled eggs, packaged muffins and pseudo-bagels. (I lived in NJ 25 years. I know what a real bagel looks like. :D)

Thanks. That's helpful. I was thinking specifically of Hampton. Considering the situation, this isn't terrible.

Oh, and no hotel serves real bagels, ever. A curse on those damn Sysco pseudo-bagles!

I didn't live in NY, but I lived in S. Florida. Close enough to experience real bagels, so I get it. However, you can keep Tom Carvel's ice cream. Blech.

Oh, and no hotel serves real bagels, ever.

Yep. I grew up in NYC and I can vouch for the fact that there are no real bagels west of northern NJ. Same goes for pizza and cheesecake. Not that I'm prejudiced or anything. :angel:

And Athena53 reminded me that we also had a hot breakfast ordered from a menu and brought to the table at a Garden Inn in Des Moines last summer. So there is still some possibility of that.

I helped a buddy move to Prescott AZ last month. Stayed at the Best Western in Prescott and they had the regular hot breakfast with a serving person that filled your plate. Fill your own juice cup or coffee. It worked fine for me and my friend. There was not any room servicing for the two nights, they only cleaned rooms between guests.

Varies widely. Most places are doing grab and go bags for breakfas (some combo of water, yogurt, bagel, maybe hardboiled egg, granola bar). I have seen hot breakfast creeping back in, such as this week in Savannah at a Hampton Inn. They had buffet including eggs, bacon, potatoes, waffles plus the usual cereal, yogurt etc. And yeah full urns of coffee.

Last edited:
Oh, and no hotel serves real bagels, ever. A curse on those damn Sysco pseudo-bagles!

Agreed. Most of it is baked, round bread dough with a hole in the middle. Real bagels have a mouth-feel that is very unique.

I appreciate the feedback on the various experiences peple have had with breakfast and beverages at various hotels. I may take a small (1L) electric kettle and a pour over coffee device with me this summer. I've even thought of bringing a waffle iron. You can do some very interesting things with a waffle iron.

We’ve been bringing our own food, but it looks like many hotels had a bag to go breakfast which we didn’t use as they are usually loaded with carbs, and some seemed to be doing made to order breakfasts with a sit down area, but had stopped any buffets.

We are planning a few days at the beach in a couple of weeks, and I’m trying to talk to the hotel to see how much room service is available.

Thanks. That's helpful. I was thinking specifically of Hampton. Considering the situation, this isn't terrible.

I didn't live in NY, but I lived in S. Florida. Close enough to experience real bagels, so I get it. However, you can keep Tom Carvel's ice cream. Blech.

It’s been a while, but I stayed at a Hampton last June when I relocated. I also stayed in another Hilton brand property as well as a Residence Inn. At the time, there was no hot breakfast, and instead the hotel provided to-go breakfasts in a bag. Not sure if the hotels have returned to the buffet-style breakfasts or not. You could call the property you’re interested in and find out.

OK I called our hotel which is a Hampton Garden Inn, and they have the regular room service for lunch and dinner (up to 30 mins before kitchen closes). But room service is not available for breakfast. They have a breakfast buffet (if I recall eggs are made to order and can be ordered from your table) and there is provision for taking it to go. Plus they usually have an omelette bar which has always been pretty good.

I’ll be 2 weeks past my first dose, so I’m not eager to mingle yet and won’t eat in a public setting. DH will have been fully vaccinated for almost 2 months.

Agreed. Most of it is baked, round bread dough with a hole in the middle. Real bagels have a mouth-feel that is very unique.

I appreciate the feedback on the various experiences peple have had with breakfast and beverages at various hotels. I may take a small (1L) electric kettle and a pour over coffee device with me this summer. I've even thought of bringing a waffle iron. You can do some very interesting things with a waffle iron.
Indeed you can: https://www.letseatcake.com/tater-tot-waffles/

We stayed at a Best Western Plus last week. They had sausage slices, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs and sweet rolls behind the front desk and it was served by the front desk person. Juice was available in a machine-get your own. There was a Keurig machine in the room. Thought it was a unique setup and better than a grab and go sack.

I was in a Comfort Inn once last summer, and everything was prepackaged and very limited. I'll be staying in one again late this month, and hoping for something more substantial.

Might be interested in this article...

https://onemileatatime.com/hilton-hotel-service-cuts-permanent/

Basically, it reports on Hilton's CEO saying that many Coronavirus-related
service cuts may be permanent as they shift the business model to emphasize higher-margins.

“The work we’re doing right now in every one of our brands is about making them higher-margin businesses and creating more labor efficiencies, particularly in the areas of housekeeping, food and beverage, and other areas. When we get out of the crisis, those businesses will be higher margin and require less labor than they did pre-Covid.”

My grandkids usually prefer a McGriddle Bundle for $2 and a $1 Sweet Tea in the drive through. As grandparents always traveling with at least one of them, we roll with the flow. My wife just loves McDonalds' coffee over any other.

We've just traveled 1x in the last time, but we saw sack breakfasts and self serve coffee.

Back
Top Bottom