Status
Not open for further replies.

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give

Attachments

• Comparison.JPG
    Comparison.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 95
I think some of it is a lack of information.
There are people who frankly don't pay attention.

Today I heard on the news, and the reporter said "there are over 100,000 deaths" from the Covid-19.
Actually it's over 120,000 deaths , and while I don't expect them to be precise, being off by 20,000 is a HUGE number.

Are they going to wait until it's over 200,000 deaths before they change what they say:confused:

I think Americans have more of a "Don't tell me what to do" attitude than Europeans, and that certainly plays a role

I had to attend an event today with nearly 100 people. All were told in advance to wear a mask, yet less than 10% actually did. And many of those just had the mask covering their chin, so utterly useless. I have no idea what goes through their minds.

I would imagine the civilized countries will be preventing travel from the benighted US for some time to come. Sure hope nobody had any international travel planned.

I think Americans have more of a "Don't tell me what to do" attitude than Europeans, and that certainly plays a role

I had to attend an event today with nearly 100 people. All were told in advance to wear a mask, yet less than 10% actually did. And many of those just had the mask covering their chin, so utterly useless. I have no idea what goes through their minds.

That just really boggles the mind, and I sorry you had to attend such an event.

Crazy. You know what the reason is, we just can't state it.

Thought this was a very interesting chart comparing the 7-day rolling average of new Corinavirus cases in the US (pop 330M) to the EU (pop 440M). As the infectious disease Dr from New Zealand stated in the article, “It really does feel like the U.S. has given up..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...bay-experts-watch-us-case-numbers-with-alarm/

Yes, I saw that article and graph too, and it’s quite a contrast!

I don’t think the US has “given up” so to speak, rather I think it’s a massive case of mass denial/delusion:
  • it’s not that bad/serious of a disease.
  • it’s (magically) going away soon.
  • it’s just because we’re doing more testing.
  • it’s a hoax - I won’t get infected nor infect others.
  • there is no way a “second” wave will happen.
  • I thought the pandemic was over.
etc.

Given up would be more like - we don’t care, let it do it’s worst with no precautions or protections fo those most vulnerable at all.

Last edited:
In Montana we have 537 cases of covid totally. I see the state is on the rise and it doesn't surprise me one bit. There are events going on with hundreds of people gathering sitting elbow to elbow and no masks or distancing. Even with very low numbers I still wouldn't be attending gatherings like what they are having. They had 35 new cases today the most since the first few days March.
Most of the people I know say it is all BS and media has went off the rails with this.

It's an overwhelming culture of "Idowanna, youcan'tmakeme."

Why we have such a culture could fill volumes.

Crazy. You know what the reason is, we just can't state it.

In Montana we have 537 cases of covid totally. I see the state is on the rise and it doesn't surprise me one bit. There are events going on with hundreds of people gathering sitting elbow to elbow and no masks or distancing. Even with very low numbers I still wouldn't be attending gatherings like what they are having. They had 35 new cases today the most since the first few days March.
Most of the people I know say it is all BS and media has went off the rails with this.
Well, I can certainly understand how it might be considered minor in a low population density state like Montana when most states have at least 10,000 cases, and several now exceed 100,000 cases.

Unfortunately it’s accelerating in states that already have a lot of cases.

FL today had over 4k new cases, after several days of flirting with around 3k.

USA, USA, We're number 1!

During a casual, yet ill-advised scroll through my Facebook newsfeed, I learned that... not wearing a mask is a "proud display of opposition to the unconstitutional seizure of power by local officials."

Meanwhile, here in our quaint little patch of suburban North Texas, we're seeing record daily case counts which are 2-3X larger than the numbers from late March when this thing first exploded. DS has been required to go back into work. He told me that no one at work is serious about wearing masks and hand washing. They just joke about it. DD is a teacher and our governor has announced that school will open in mid-August come hell or high water. No distance learning allowed.

I do have an explanation of this behavior but I can't post it here.

I’m afraid this will also lead us to be boycotted from leaving the US. Not only to the EU, which I will be surprised if happens this year, but to Canada. I’m really hoping this stabilizes by year end so I can travel north.

I’m afraid this will also lead us to be boycotted from leaving the US. Not only to the EU, which I will be surprised if happens this year, but to Canada. I’m really hoping this stabilizes by year end so I can travel north.

So far the Canada border is closed until July 21.

Frankly, if we don't get our infections down, I think countries would be stupid to allow travelers from USA into their country.
Too much chance of an infected asymptomatic person bringing in a virus.

So far the Canada border is closed until July 21.

Frankly, if we don't get our infections down, I think countries would be stupid to allow travelers from USA into their country.
Too much chance of an infected asymptomatic person bringing in a virus.

I suspect they’ll keep extending the border closure until the numbers look better. Which is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

The rise here was attributed to Mother's day celebrations.

During a casual, yet ill-advised scroll through my Facebook newsfeed, I learned that... not wearing a mask is a "proud display of opposition to the unconstitutional seizure of power by local officials."

Meanwhile, here in our quaint little patch of suburban North Texas, we're seeing record daily case counts which are 2-3X larger than the numbers from late March when this thing first exploded. DS has been required to go back into work. He told me that no one at work is serious about wearing masks and hand washing. They just joke about it. DD is a teacher and our governor has announced that school will open in mid-August come hell or high water. No distance learning allowed.

I do have an explanation of this behavior but I can't post it here.

I suspect you are not too far away from where I live. The idea of masks as tyranny is big in this area. I do think that is a minority of people, but they are very vocal. My county has elected not to order businesses to require masks and very few do. Many people are not against masks so much...but they are still willing to go to restaurants and other indoor events.

The next county over (which is not far from where I live) is requiring businesses to require masks. We don't go out much except for absolutely necessarily trips to the grocery store or other stores. I do think that if I did want to go somewhere beyond those kinds of quick trips I would go to the next county. But people are deluded to think in my town that people will come here because we don't believe in all that mask tyranny, etc.

I just don't see things getting better. There isn't the will to require people to do stuff. And most people think they are "safe" since they are young or because this specific area is relatively low (not the county as a whole just this little part of it...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom