Daily New Coronavirus Cases: US vs EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
In either case, the person coming into Canada (whether they are family or not) must self-quarantine for 14 days upon arrival - unlike those Bozo's stopping in Banff on their (supposed) way to Alaska. The locals in Banff should show them, up close, where the grizzly bears live.

I would not be surprised to see the border stay closed to non-essential crossings until year end or at some time when infections start dropping in the USA. BTW, Canada has been at less then 400 new cases/day for the past number of days and restrictions still remain in effect in most locales. In our area, restaurants can only have outdoor patios with 2 meters separation or takeout. No indoor service.

+100. It would be nice to see repercussions for those that intentionally break the rules.

I’m worried the border will stay closed for the year. I have a ski trip booked for New Year’s. We did this last year and had a blast. This year would be even better, since our group has grown.

I might need to figure out a plan b in case Canada stays closed. Other than saying I’m going to Alaska. :)

I suggest you look at the R naught values and graphs for each state on this site. It's updated daily:

https://rt.live/

Fully 25 U.S. states have R naught values above 1.0 and a few high population states are well above 1.0 . Florida and Texas, in particular, look very problematic. If you look at the R naught graphs for the states, many are anything but flat. Rather, some states are on a steep incline upward in new infections.

What a damn mess. These are some ugly charts/numbers. You don't have to get much above 1.0 on a sustained basis to have a real mess on your hands.

I am preparing for a resurgence of the outbreak during flu season. Don't know if that will be a mess locally, but it will in some places.

Ya mean like this for my area? (Note the number of hospitalized Covid-19 patients has more than tripled in the past two weeks.)

Looks pretty serious over the past two weeks! Yikes. I'm glad you decided to hunker down, and I can sure understand why.

Sorry to have deleted my post that you quoted. I had to correct my homemade graph for Louisiana, since it was not normalized as daily new cases per 100,000 population as is the one I got from the internet for Louisiana Region 1 (the New Orleans area). So I had to at least fix that issue.... both attached below. Both are daily increases in COVID-19 cases; the first plot is Louisiana, the second is Region 1.

You can see that the Louisiana graph has what looks like later spikes, but actually we haven't had much in the way of secondary spikes here in the New Orleans area.... the virus peaked later in other (rural, northern) locations, after our April 2nd spike here in New Orleans. So, the graph showing daily new cases for the whole state of Louisiana is a little muddy because it represents various areas that peaked at different times.

In your case, I agree your area looks pretty grim over the past two weeks (assuming testing, and testing numbers are about the same)! And that fact is probably clearer now that you have seen graphs of both your area and the whole state of Texas. I think that looking at regional plots within Texas is especially informative, because it is such a huge state, for example ~700 miles from Amarillo to Brownsville.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 32
  • NOLA-COVIDc.JPG
    NOLA-COVIDc.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 34
I suspect you are not too far away from where I live. The idea of masks as tyranny is big in this area. I do think that is a minority of people, but they are very vocal. My county has elected not to order businesses to require masks and very few do. Many people are not against masks so much...but they are still willing to go to restaurants and other indoor events.

The next county over (which is not far from where I live) is requiring businesses to require masks. We don't go out much except for absolutely necessarily trips to the grocery store or other stores. I do think that if I did want to go somewhere beyond those kinds of quick trips I would go to the next county. But people are deluded to think in my town that people will come here because we don't believe in all that mask tyranny, etc.

I just don't see things getting better. There isn't the will to require people to do stuff. And most people think they are "safe" since they are young or because this specific area is relatively low (not the county as a whole just this little part of it...)

Yeah, we're in the same neck of the woods. I know the masks/tyranny bunch are a vocal minority. But the number of people not wearing masks in public is certainly not a minority. It seems to me that people are just fed up with being told what to do. Some say ignorant things on social media. Others just won't wear a mask. Texans can be a particularly stubborn lot with a deep distrust of government interference in their lives.

I can't see a happy ending to what's happening here. The trends in our city and county are alarming. It's fairly easy for me to hunker down a bit longer and keep DMIL safe. Like you, we only venture out for the weekly Walmart grocery pick-up and a few other essentials.

But I'm worried about our adult kids going back to work. And pressure from their peers to get together without social distancing. They're smart kids and so far have resisted the latter. I forwarded them OP's chart and link to the WP piece. I hope they read it.

I suppose I should be happy we are not in Brazil. 54.7K cases reported today.

I suppose I should be happy we are not in Brazil. 54.7K cases reported today.

So the 3 countries with the most cases are USA/Brazil/Russia. So what do they all have in common?

So the 3 countries with the most cases are USA/Brazil/Russia. So what do they all have in common?

Lots of people and lots of land mass. If you are imperator of New Zealand, it isn't that hard to get the hobbits to knuckle under since it will be obvious if they aren't and there isn't a lot of room for dissent. Places as messy, far flung and complicated as the US, Brazil and Russia? Good luck.

Lots of people and lots of land mass. If you are imperator of New Zealand, it isn't that hard to get the hobbits to knuckle under since it will be obvious if they aren't and there isn't a lot of room for dissent. Places as messy, far flung and complicated as the US, Brazil and Russia? Good luck.

I don't think that the answer Dtail was looking for...:dance:

I completely agree with your answer though...

Large and populous countries have complied with pandemic restrictions, without too much dissent.

So it can't be size of the countries.

Large and populous countries have complied with pandemic restrictions, without too much dissent.

So it can't be size of the countries.

Are you referring to China...

When the public health officials were talking about flattening the curve, hospitalization (and related ICU utilization) is specifically what they were talking about. They were very concerned that the hospitals would be overwhelmed. THIS IS NOT HAPPENING.

This chart of the US Weekly Hospitalization rate from the CDC shows this.
I guess I can’t read your chart as it sure looks like hospitalizations are going down to these eyes.

Right, Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

What isn’t happening is widespread hospital overloading.
Just like COVID-19 outbreaks, this is going to be a more localized thing. It sure matters to the patients that can’t get access. National averaged statistics hide crisis situations.

Yeah. Rounding error populations compared to the US, Brazil and Russia.

Not quite a rounding error, at least where I used to work, Russia 142 million to Canada 38 million (even c.f. the US, Canada is 10%). Russia's population is lower now than it was at the dissolution of the USSR in 1991. Interestingly, demographics of the US, Russia and Brazil are not actually very similar - especially for Brazil. IMHO there are issues at play other than 'large land mass, large population'.

Not quite a rounding error, at least where I used to work, Russia 142 million to Canada 38 million (even c.f. the US, Canada is 10%). Russia's population is lower now than it was at the dissolution of the USSR in 1991. Interestingly, demographics of the US, Russia and Brazil are not actually very similar - especially for Brazil. IMHO there are issues at play other than 'large land mass, large population'.

Then come out and say it.

Then come out and say it.
Oh sorry, I'm just thinking that there are other issues, I'm not saying that I know what they are or am highly qualified to comment. Transmission and health impacts of this virus comes pretty close to chaos in my mind and I doubt that their are 'simple' explanations. I was mainly addressing the 'rounding error' as I live in a less (but not that less) populated country.

Last edited:
Better comparison is per capita income, education, access to health care, etc.

DD is a teacher and our governor has announced that school will open in mid-August come hell or high water. No distance learning allowed.

One of my nieces was hired in North Texas as a teacher for this year. She just moved there and promptly picked up COVID-19 (has the common symptoms but test results are not back yet). She thinks it was from when she was applying for a hostess job in a restaurant. I hope she recovers soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom