Daily WORDLE - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wordle 278 4/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

50/50 at a birdie, but ended with a par.

About earlier puzzles: I've gone overboard on duplicate letters... Picked "puree" over "purge", for example.

278. 3/6

This is my fifth time playing, and I'm starting to develop what seems to be an effective approach/process. Fun way to start the day.

Pure luck on this one. Far too many words were possible even after the complete miss on the second guess.

Wordle 278 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Scoring Starting Words

I know a lot of the Wordle players here don't use the same starting words, but for those of you that do, I've done a bit of analysis. If you make-up three starting words from these letters [acdehilnoprstuy], you'll get the most hits on the entire universe of possible answers. But that's only part of the optimization. There are something like 450 ways to make 3 common 5 letter words out of those 15 letters. And some of those sets will match the position of the letters in the answer set more often, making them a better choice. The best I've found (which I mentioned up-thread) were [shade, point, curly].

I've run some of the best scoring 15 letter sets. If you sort your 15 unique letters from your starter word set and find it in this list, it's a pretty good set:
Letter removal count for [acdehilnoprstuy]- count: 9022.
Letter removal count for [acdehilmnorstuy]- count: 8974.
Letter removal count for [acdeghilnorstuy]- count: 8976.
Letter removal count for [acdeilmnoprstuy]- count: 8941.
Letter removal count for [acehilmnoprstuy]- count: 8950.
Letter removal count for [acdegilnoprstuy]- count: 8943.
Letter removal count for [aceghilnoprstuy]- count: 8952.
Letter removal count for [abcdehilnorstuy]- count: 8943.

If you have a set you think is good, and not in the list above, I'll run it through my scoring upon request.

I know a lot of the Wordle players here don't use the same starting words, but for those of you that do, I've done a bit of analysis. If you make-up three starting words from these letters [acdehilnoprstuy], you'll get the most hits on the entire universe of possible answers. But that's only part of the optimization. There are something like 450 ways to make 3 common 5 letter words out of those 15 letters. And some of those sets will match the position of the letters in the answer set more often, making them a better choice. The best I've found (which I mentioned up-thread) were [shade, point, curly].

I've run some of the best scoring 15 letter sets. If you sort your 15 unique letters from your starter word set and find it in this list, it's a pretty good set:
Letter removal count for [acdehilnoprstuy]- count: 9022.
Letter removal count for [acdehilmnorstuy]- count: 8974.
Letter removal count for [acdeghilnorstuy]- count: 8976.
Letter removal count for [acdeilmnoprstuy]- count: 8941.
Letter removal count for [acehilmnoprstuy]- count: 8950.
Letter removal count for [acdegilnoprstuy]- count: 8943.
Letter removal count for [aceghilnoprstuy]- count: 8952.
Letter removal count for [abcdehilnorstuy]- count: 8943.

If you have a set you think is good, and not in the list above, I'll run it through my scoring upon request.

I have tried Later, Mound, Civic - which I know that last word is far from optimal as it has a double C and I, but still it was what came to mind at the time.

I start with Later, 99% of the time. I almost always play hard mode which doesn't allow for my combo above, but when I feel a corridor coming on, I abandon hard mode to try to rule out letter.

BTW, I got today's in 4.

cd : O)

I have tried Later, Mound, Civic - which I know that last word is far from optimal as it has a double C and I, but still it was what came to mind at the time.
later, mound, spicy might be better than later, mound, civic.

[later] letters removed: 4117. letters in position removed: 1033
[mound] letters removed: 2348. letters in position removed: 851
[civic] letters removed: 1244. letters in position removed: 638

letters removed total: 7709. letters in pos rem tot: 2522
Good 4th words: pushy, showy hasty

[later] letters removed: 4117. letters in position removed: 1033
[mound] letters removed: 2348. letters in position removed: 851
[spicy] letters removed: 2476. letters in position removed: 1209

letters removed total: 8941. letters in pos rem tot: 3093
Good 4th words: bough, whack, ought

I start with Later, 99% of the time. I almost always play hard mode which doesn't allow for my combo above, but when I feel a corridor coming on, I abandon hard mode to try to rule out letter.

BTW, I got today's in 4.

Can't argue with success! According to SGOTI that did a youtube video with statistical/analytical analysis (above my head), [crane] was supposed to supply the most information if you were playing hard mode. My analysis optimizes on three independent starter words, then making your first solution word on the 4th try.

Wordle 278 3/6*

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I feel pretty good that with one letter, in the wrong place, for the first guess... I got it in 3.

Wordle 278 3/6*

������⬜⬜
⬜⬜������
����������

I only took 5 hours to get this:

Wordle 278 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

There was a 4 mile hike plus lunch between try #2 and the final successful word. :dance:

My method is as unscientific as sengsational's is scientific.

I start with a word that contains only the commonest English letters; unless the game maker decides to be really tricky and use "guppy" or such, this should find at least one of the letters.

Next, I stare at the resulting pattern for up to 60 seconds, then enter whichever word pops into my mind, that fits the pattern and doesn't contain any eliminated letters.

Repeat as often as needed until the right word appears in my mind's eye.

Like others, I sometimes run afoul (good starting word) of a pattern where the choice of potential letters at the start or the end is large. Then it is just luck.

My method is as unscientific as sengsational's is scientific.

I start with a word that contains only the commonest English letters; unless the game maker decides to be really tricky and use "guppy" or such, this should find at least one of the letters.

Next, I stare at the resulting pattern for up to 60 seconds, then enter whichever word pops into my mind, that fits the pattern and doesn't contain any eliminated letters.

Repeat as often as needed until the right word appears in my mind's eye.

Like others, I sometimes run afoul (good starting word) of a pattern where the choice of potential letters at the start or the end is large. Then it is just luck.

I think the red is your secret sauce. ;)

My English skills are not up to my math skills.

BTW, I got today's in 4.

I use "Stare" as my most common first word. which is close to your word "Later".

Wordle 279 5/6

🟨🟩[emoji833][emoji833][emoji833]
[emoji833]🟨[emoji833][emoji833]🟨
🟩🟩🟨🟩[emoji833]
🟩🟩[emoji833]🟩[emoji833]
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Stupid guess on #4, didn't include all known letters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom