Dead iPhone

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Is there any hope to repair or recover a dead iPhone? DW woke this morning to a brick. It will not respond in any way. We've tried different chargers, cables, pushing different combinations of buttons - it's dead.

My question is, is there any hope that it can be repaired or recovered? If it were a computer, I'd want to take the hard drive out and recover the data and pictures with another machine. Is that even possible with an iPhone?

I know it is too late now but you should really back up your phone either to the cloud or to your computer. Then, it’s trivial to restore all your data on a new phone.
I’d take the dead phone to a repair place - they do a few more tricks at their disposal to make sure it’s not just dust in the charging port, etc. they may even be able to recover the memory and pull the data off your dead phone.

Occasionally, usually in conjunction with an OS update, a phone will experience this.

Sometimes it can be recovered by holding the power button down steadily for at least a minute or two. Try that a couple of times -- you never know (I've been through this).

If that doesn't help, you need to get Apple involved. Their support has always been excellent in my experience.

Occasionally, usually in conjunction with an OS update, a phone will experience this.

Sometimes it can be recovered by holding the power button down steadily for at least a minute or two. Try that a couple of times -- you never know (I've been through this).

If that doesn't help, you need to get Apple involved. Their support has always been excellent in my experience.

+1

To do a hard reset differs between models
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-reset-iphone-2000288

And if your iPhone has been auto-backing up to the Cloud (default setting I think) then if you do have to get a new iPhone it will recover everything from the last backup.

Maybe wait until tomorrow to have it rise from the dead. Seems appropriate.

Bad joke aside, a hard reset as others have said should bring it back. My wife had it happen to hers, she googled it and found instructions online.

Thanks. No luck with the reset. Just dropped it off at a repair shop. They think it's the battery. I'll know in an hour.

As for backing up, any mention of this to DW falls into the category of "I told you so". I get home from the repair shop and tell her they think it's the battery and she says - Yeah, it's not been holding a charge lately. It was all I could do not to say something like - and you didn't think to tell me? You didn't think it would be a good idea to back it up, buy a new phone . . . BUT, I've been married for almost 40 years and I've learned. They're her pictures, it's her loss. I try, but I can only do so much.

I asked her earlier, don't all your pictures sync with your iPad (like mine do) and she says no - the cloud storage was full so she shut that off. Maybe she should have paid for a little more memory in the cloud?:facepalm:

Offer her your IT services on a support contract? LOL.

Just got work back. We have a brick. New battery will not bring it to life. Probably a motherboard issue. Cost more than the phone is worth to fix it. Time to get a new phone. Hopefully lesson learned, albeit the hard way.

Extra iCloud storage costs me .99 cents a month and it’s worth it.

Extra iCloud storage costs me .99 cents a month and it’s worth it.

+1

If it is just the Photos that overflows her backup storage space in the Cloud then Google photos is free (unlimited I think) and backs up all your photos automatically.

+1

If it is just the Photos that overflows her backup storage space in the Cloud then Google photos is free (unlimited I think) and backs up all your photos automatically.

She stores her pictures on the Amazon Prime cloud but it takes a manual operation. I guess she's not in too bad of shape. He last load was at the end of Feb. She lost pictures of grandson's birthday. Not too bad after all.

One of the reasons I prefer my Galaxy phone with its removable microSD card that has all my media stored on it.

One of the reasons I prefer my Galaxy phone with its removable microSD card that has all my media stored on it.

I agree that would be a nice feature. However, we're comfortable with the Apple products and the transparency between them and while I could probably pull it off, I'm not really interested in the transition.

Jerry1 - low probability, but did you verify you can't access the storage on the iPhone using itunes recovery?

Yes. Dead as can be. New iPhones ordered. Hopefully lesson learned.

Yes. Dead as can be. New iPhones ordered. Hopefully lesson learned.

Be sure to opt for the automatic backups, which happen overnight when the phone is on charge. When we go on cruises or other vacations where we might be not be on WiFi for several days our phones and iPads start telling use that it has been “x” days since the last backup.

Good idea Alan. I’ll do that.

Back
Top Bottom