DH in Hospital under Observation and Medicare Issues

Promising! Please keep us posted.

I think the worst is another Covid test for him :LOL:. He's had 3 so far this year, the first prior to implant surgery and now 2 related to this event. I also can't stay and wait for him at the hospital. Will drop him off before the break of dawn, head home, then wait for the call to allow me to come by to visit awhile.

If that was the case why didn't they just admit you? Then there would be no question.

I don't recall the exact discussion (3 years ago). There were ADVANTAGES of NOT being admitted and potential disadvantages to being admitted if the eventual decision was made to send me home without treatment. My own Doc was on vacation, his back up was tied up. I eventually went with a hospital doc (turned out to be the local "star" in his field. Yeahhhh!) HE admitted me the next day AFTER discussing with me my treatment options. What a concept!:facepalm:

Editorial comment, so YMMV: Not every hospital, doctor, business is out to screw you over. Some actually try to work with you to give you the best outcome for your hard earned money. I try to at least start with the assumption that most folks actually try to do the right thing and are not just selfish and evil. Sometimes I'm wrong, but I don't think I was in this case. Once again, YMMV.

Editorial comment, so YMMV: Not every hospital, doctor, business is out to screw you over. Some actually try to work with you to give you the best outcome for your hard earned money. I try to at least start with the assumption that most folks actually try to do the right thing and are not just selfish and evil. Sometimes I'm wrong, but I don't think I was in this case. Once again, YMMV.
Regardless, I have to think that most of the founders of these "Nonprofit" corporate hospitals are rolling over in their graves. I doubt they envisioned this byzantine system.

It is instructive to look at the 900 filing for your local non-profit hospital. My local $1.3B corporation paid one doctor a cool $1.5M in 2018. The bureaucrats "only" made in the $400k to $800k range.

Regardless, I have to think that most of the founders of these "Nonprofit" corporate hospitals are rolling over in their graves. I doubt they envisioned this byzantine system.

It is instructive to look at the 900 filing for your local non-profit hospital. My local $1.3B corporation paid one doctor a cool $1.5M in 2018. The bureaucrats "only" made in the $400k to $800k range.

You'll get no argument from me about the "issues" surrounding so-called "non-profits" running hospitals - and many other businesses. Having said that, apparently, the "memo" didn't make it down to the great folks I dealt with, but YMMV.

You'll get no argument from me about the "issues" surrounding so-called "non-profits" running hospitals - and many other businesses. Having said that, apparently, the "memo" didn't make it down to the great folks I dealt with, but YMMV.

Koolau, I didn't intend to drown out your thought, sorry. I agree that most people want to do the right thing, especially in a hospital setting.

It is unfortunate that The System can get in the way sometimes, and that's where we see problems. Thankfully, good people like your caretakers find a way to work within the system and make care primary.

... I try to at least start with the assumption that most folks actually try to do the right thing and are not just selfish and evil. Sometimes I'm wrong, but I don't think I was in this case. Once again, YMMV.

That would be my baseline assumption as well... it is just that I have read of enough horror stories of patients in for "observation" facing a big bill that I'm skeptical and "on guard" as well.

That would be my baseline assumption as well... it is just that I have read of enough horror stories of patients in for "observation" facing a big bill that I'm skeptical and "on guard" as well.

What was the line in "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"? Oh yes. "They say believe half of what you see, son, and none of what you hear." YMMV

DH had the ablation yesterday morning and is recovering well. The ablation itself went well and they got all except one small area on the left side. Now we wait to see if it took.

His cardiologist said next time comes the pacemaker. Dr. Google confirms :LOL:.

aaronc, I hope your father's surgery went well and he's doing fine.

DH had the ablation yesterday morning and is recovering well. The ablation itself went well and they got all except one small area on the left side. Now we wait to see if it took.

That’s good to hear. Hope his recovery continues to be quick and uneventful.

aaronc, I hope your father's surgery went well and he's doing fine.

So glad to hear your DH is doing well. I may face ablation at some point and it's always good to hear success stories. Hope this procedure takes care of all issues.:flowers:

I am glad your DH is doing well. DW had Afib, and after 3 cardio-versions, they put in a pacemaker. She then went back in to have the ablation.
Light moment - DW has always been afraid of general anesthetic, as it would make her "stupid" Our older son, who is a character, came to visit her in the hospital. He said,"ma, how much is 2 and 2?" She replied 4, and he said,"see you are not stupid".:LOL:

So glad to hear your DH is doing well. I may face ablation at some point and it's always good to hear success stories. Hope this procedure takes care of all issues.:flowers:

Unfortunately, even if successful, it only lasts for 5 years or so, which DH's first one did, almost exactly 5 years. Some of the areas regenerated as well as new ones which needed to be zapped.

Last edited:
I am glad your DH is doing well. DW had Afib, and after 3 cardio-versions, they put in a pacemaker. She then went back in to have the ablation.
Light moment - DW has always been afraid of general anesthetic, as it would make her "stupid" Our older son, who is a character, came to visit her in the hospital. He said,"ma, how much is 2 and 2?" She replied 4, and he said,"see you are not stupid".:LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Well, hearing of these successes with heart surgery on people I am assuming are not particularly old is very encouraging. If it makes anybody feel better I will be going in for installation of a gizmo that is part pacemaker and part automatic defibrillator. I am afraid of this but I like hearing the cardio-success stories.

Well, hearing of these successes with heart surgery on people I am assuming are not particularly old is very encouraging. If it makes anybody feel better I will be going in for installation of a gizmo that is part pacemaker and part automatic defibrillator. I am afraid of this but I like hearing the cardio-success stories.

Wishing you a successful surgery and quick recovery. DH and I know one person with pacemaker who has had no problems. Just went in recently to have his battery updated.

DH is 73. His first ablation was at 68 and he was about 65 or 66 when he had the first of 3 cardioversions. He finally got it that they are not a cure and he had to have the ablation.

I'm just hoping he doesn't make me take out the induction cooktop when he gets the pacemaker :LOL::LOL::LOL:.

m just hoping he doesn't make me take out the induction cooktop when he gets the pacemaker :LOL::LOL::LOL:.

I don't know how humorous/serious that remark was intended to be but they keep telling me that I will not have a problem with most ordinary electronic devices except:

1) No electric arc welding (Damn! Now I have to find a new hobby!) and

2) Stay away from induction ovens. Proximity time must be limited to seconds. In my case the defibrillator is the important part. The pacemaker is secondary. That might make all the difference.

I don't know how humorous/serious that remark was intended to be but they keep telling me that I will not have a problem with most ordinary electronic devices except:

1) No electric arc welding (Damn! Now I have to find a new hobby!) and

2) Stay away from induction ovens. Proximity time must be limited to seconds. In my case the defibrillator is the important part. The pacemaker is secondary. That might make all the difference.

We researched this when I got the cooktop 4 years ago as we knew a pacemaker was likely in DH's future. They are supposed to be safe for pacemakers. Obviously, if the defibrillator is an issue and DH gets the same device you are getting, the cooktop will be ripped out immediately and gas goes back in. Or if his doc recommends we get rid of it, it's gone.

Unfortunately, even if successful, it only lasts for 5 years or so, which DH's first one did, almost exactly 5 years. Some of the areas regenerated as well as new ones which needed to be zapped.

I learned something! Thanks. Even my doc did not mention the potential for regeneration. Good news, so far, doc doesn't recommend. I'll know what questions to ask if it comes to that in future. Aloha.

I learned something! Thanks. Even my doc did not mention the potential for regeneration. Good news, so far, doc doesn't recommend. I'll know what questions to ask if it comes to that in future. Aloha.

Us too! Am anxious to see what his Apple watch says tomorrow. He was resting and sleeping on & off all day today. IIRC it will take a couple of months before we know if this ablation was successful. I'm concerned about the area they couldn't get to and what that means. DH was out of it this a.m. when he spoke to the doc and didn't think to ask that question. We'll have a list of questions for his appt next week.

When he first went into Afib years ago, they controlled it with meds until he starting having too many low blood pressure issues. Then came the cardioversions and finally ablation. This one was scheduled immediately as his heart rate was not controllable with meds...just to an 'acceptable' rate with continuous spiking.

Getting old sucks or as Mae West (I think it was her) says 'getting old ain't for sissies'!!!

Us too! Am anxious to see what his Apple watch says tomorrow. He was resting and sleeping on & off all day today. IIRC it will take a couple of months before we know if this ablation was successful. I'm concerned about the area they couldn't get to and what that means. DH was out of it this a.m. when he spoke to the doc and didn't think to ask that question. We'll have a list of questions for his appt next week.

When he first went into Afib years ago, they controlled it with meds until he starting having too many low blood pressure issues. Then came the cardioversions and finally ablation. This one was scheduled immediately as his heart rate was not controllable with meds...just to an 'acceptable' rate with continuous spiking.

Getting old sucks or as Mae West (I think it was her) says 'getting old ain't for sissies'!!!

All the very best to both of you, I hope it all goes well.

For myself I had a cryo-ablation almost exactly 3 years ago at age 62. I was told it wouldn’t be considered a success until after 3 years, and also that procedures including a pacemaker might be in my future as AFib can always return as an issue.

My daughter bought me an Apple Watch for my birthday a few months after the operation to help me monitor any further instances. I already had, and still use, an Alivecor device to do an ekg and look for AFib.

Since the op I haven’t had a single instance so I have been lucky so far. ( The BP monitor I use most days also detects an irregular heart beat which I then check with the Alivecor and/or Apple Watch for AFib.)

In my research on AFib and ablation it seems that the skill of the electrophysiologist is a major determinant of whether you have to repeat, or even whether the first one is successful and without nasty complications. Try to go to an EP that has done thousands of ablations. Some only do cryoablations on the pulmonary veins. That's where most issues are solved. If the problem is elsewhere on the heart they can't help. Others more skillful will go in and find everywhere there's a problem. Good prior research seems very important here imo.

At present the energy sources used in ablation are CRYO and RF. Freezing or burning. There's also another technology called Pulsed Field Ablation that is being tested that avoids many of the complications of CRYO and RF, so the longer you wait the safer it should become.

For anyone seeking ablation feedback, DH had this done in 2007 timeframe due o Wolf Parkinson White (random episode of heart racing due to an electrical problem). Luckily, he had passed out while peeing in the middle of the night (so common they haev a Latin word for it) and I took him in and they decided to keep him (military hopspital). Nurse caught the episode later that night on the heart monitor and threw up the flag. Referred to Walter Reed (old Walter Reed, not Bethesda campus) and he had a ablation done via radio waves. I dont know the technical terms. He was walking a battlefield for work 3 days later, no issues since. Tiny bruise on the inside of each leg fold where they accessed his arteries. Hes run many marathons since then. So thats been 13 years of good use out of it. I wish to success to all others confronted by same/similar.

Back
Top Bottom