Did you have a financial cheating attempt from your Banks or Financial institutions ?

VFK57

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello everyone. I am not sure if a cheating attempt happened only to us or other people experienced it lately too. DW and I had opened 1/2 year ago CC at Wells Fargo with 2% cash back. On March 17,2023 we got a request to proof our large amount purchase ($10,336.80) what we did not do. Both of us texted back on 2 phones - NO, it is a fraud. To make sure they will block the transaction, I called them same day and notified that it is a fraud. To our surprise the amount went to our account after 3 business days. I called them again and was advised to open a dispute what we did. 2 weeks later, we got their "investigation" report what claimed that if our cards were not stolen, we have to pay that amount. I filed complaint with CA financial abuses of consumers bureau and BBB, pointing that we never experienced such abusive service, while there is no any proof we were in Beverly Hill "GO YARDS" shop or bought anything there, our message was not replied to and there is no proof of what was purchased, by whom or shipping to our address proof. Two more weeks later, the above offices requested similar proof of our purchase and Wells Fargo stepped back and posted back the amount.

Our stock managing company, E-Trade, started cheating on dividends. Yesterday T placed $555 dividend but only $550 actually were added as we keep a separate own records. It is a small amount but it is a second time within past 2 months. Did you experienced something like this lately?

Not that I have ever noticed. But I don't use Wells Fargo or eTrade. Over the years, the two times I've had fraud charges posted to my CC's, just one call and they were removed and new cards issued. I've got a bunch of brokered CD's with Schwab that I watch pretty close. Many of them pay dividends monthly and they are always spot on in both timing and amounts.

Last edited:
I’ve had Wells Fargo checking and credit card for 26 years. Never had any questionable charges. But I did have a $30 service charge applied one month even though I clearly had over the minimum balance. One phone call, and Wells Fargo reversed the charge.

I've avoided Wells Fargo due to their previous bad customer actions that was in news years ago.

However, I have been "cheated" or "Tricked" by Chase, I cashed a foreign check (written by me) for over $10K depositing into my account. They took 3 weeks to clear the funds and charged me $100 claiming they had to verify the money for checks over $3K.
From then on I always deposited $2.5K checks without issue.

Another time, I used the machine to deposit a paycheck, they took out my bills and expenses from the account, and refused the check deposit so I would go under the minimum and have to pay the monthly fee.

These actions made me feel fully justified to open a business account, collect $250 from them, and then close the account, to get my money back :cool:

A B of A automatic teller ate a sub-$2.00 check a few months ago. Had trouble getting them to track it down. They changed the way they count deposits for determining if you meet the requirement for waiving the monthly checking account fee and I got a letter informing me that I would have to pay if I did not meet the current requirements. They are a back up account that came in handy for paying a contractor back in the last financial crisis, but my patience is being tried.

No problems with the other big banks.

I've lose my sh#t with wells about once every couple years lately. Stock transfer that wouldn't happen. Feeing me when I have boocoo bucks with them. Making an appt for a specific $$ medallion signature guarantee that when I showed up no they couldn't go that high. Incompetent ppl entered DHs DOB wrong on an account and wouldn't take my verbal word on it but WOULD take his verbal word on it (could have put anyone with a male voice on the phone but NOOO I cant verify it even though I opened the damned account). Basically they are incompetent and treat me like an embecile. But im too entrenched to move at this time. I dont think they have outright stolen any money. I've complained to corporate twice and got an empathetic call back and my problems sorted but it took a week each time.

WF tried to come back on me for a loan I never had with them. I banked a few years with them when I got my first career. I changed banks a year or two after that and 30 years later they tried to come back on me for some fraud loan. I never had a loan with them ever.
I don't think I would bank with them if they were the las back on earth to do business with. I would pay cash and dig a hole and keep my stash in it.

Thanks for posting. I just opened the same 2% cash back credit card account.
Think I'll cancel it... On several occasions Capital One has been quick to credit my account when fraud has occurred..One of those was a Microsoft charge that supposedly was made with the card..It was $2600.00 that appeared to be a legitimate charge but it wasn't..They credited my account even before they did the investigation..I highly recommend Capital One.

Get my cc through my credit union after poor service with big banks in general. Fraudulent charges every few years or so, resulting in quickly reversed charges and a new cc. Last one a couple of years ago I'm pretty sure was due to a gas station skimmer. These days I tap to pay using my phone. As long as cc's still have magnetic strips, they're not going to be as secure as they could be. Tempted to take a magnet to them all...

I only use e-trade for my company sponsored stock plan. Shares are sold as soon as they show up in my account and the proceeds transferred to Fidelity where it's invested in index funds. Never had an issue at Fidelity where the dividends posted didn't 100% match what I received.

Last edited:
This has never happened to us. Chase has been very good about false charges.

In recent years, a simple call removed charges. The max amount I had was about $1000. OP's $10k+ is extraordinary.

In distant past years (about 12 years ago) when this kind of fraud became a thing, I had to send in paperwork. It was a kind of affidavit to swear I didn't make the charges. That worked fine too.

A little bit intrigued by the unusual retailer name, I poked around and found the Beverly Hills Maison Goyard store.

Oh boy. Both Yelp and Google reviewers are excoriating this place.

A small excerpt from one of the Google reviews. Hmmm...

After checking the receipt, I noticed she put my purchase under a different account/person (same name, different address). I politely asked her if she could correct it. She responded, with the biggest attitude, it's not a big deal and it's not going to change a thing. You just gave out someone else's personal info to me. How is that not a big deal? I told her I would still like to get it fixed if possible. She was still unapologetic and reluctant but another cashier made her do it.

My dad's trust has a checking account with Wells Fargo and I have a credit card with them. For 20 years plus. Never a problem. You guys must be doing something wrong. :D

Last edited:
Wow, I’ve never experienced any of this. Never had Wells Fargo accounts and the eTrade account was closed around 2000.

Have some CCs through BofA and Chase. BofA always handled fraudulent charges promptly and efficiently, usually notifying me of any fraudulent activity, and it’s been a very long time now. Chase - never had fraudulent activity, use their card far less often.

I had one time long ago, once in over 30 years, that a MF distribution was not credited to my account by Fidelity. They promptly fixed it. I remember the rep who called me back was shocked, but couldn’t really explain what happened.

Last edited:
My dad's trust has a checking account with Wells Fargo and I have a credit card with them. For 20 years plus. Never a problem. You guys must be doing something wrong. :D
Most Credit Cards Administrations have auto confirmation request on anything with large amounts so is the Wells Fargo. This is specifically done to avoid payment on a fraudulent charge. Bank has a few business days hold before making actual payment for that matter. We sent text and I called and talked with their rep "Not to pay for the fraud". However, when charge goes to our account, it means they paid. That is why I am relatively sure that it was done with the help of Wells Fargo employee(s). If a thief try to purchase on a stolen CC number in person, the ID is required for such amount, if it is remotely made purchase, the address of shipping is required and when the dispute was going on in favor of thieves, I requested the proof of what was purchased and at what address it was shipped - NO ANY EVIDENCE OF ANYTHING

Our stock managing company, E-Trade, started cheating on dividends. Yesterday T placed $555 dividend but only $550 actually were added as we keep a separate own records. It is a small amount but it is a second time within past 2 months. Did you experienced something like this lately?

Tell me more, this sound very odd. Did you confront E-Trade? Dd they have an explanation?

Are you sure you calculated divs correctly, on the shares as of the ex-div date? Stock divs, fund divs?

Tell us more.

-ERD50

Tell me more, this sound very odd. Did you confront E-Trade? Dd they have an explanation?

Are you sure you calculated divs correctly, on the shares as of the ex-div date? Stock divs, fund divs?

Tell us more.

-ERD50

I was looking at my 401K in Fidelity Netbenefits and came across something unusual. Interest on some asset was listed as $90 in one report, and the same interest was listed as $95 in another report (same asset, same time frame). I see lots of stuff like that, in all of my portfolios. Tired of trying to figure it out. If I call up a rep, they always can explain it satisfactorily, so I no longer worry about it. I don't even call them for that stuff.

WF "stole" $130 from me many years ago when they mishandled a check I wrote to my mortgage company. It was right around the Y2K transition, and I remember wondering at the time if this was due to some kind of glitch in their system that they wouldn't admit to. I spent hours upon hours on the phone with their support people, and I wrote two separate letters describing the issue in detail, all ultimately in vain. I ended up having to shell out another $130 to my mortgage company to resolve the issue. :mad:

Absolutely sure. Once - twice a week I update our records based on E-Trade account and when E-Trade reported the dividend payment their email of T dividend payment of $555, while they added $550. On my request why $5 is missing, they replied that about 2 weeks ago there was a charge of $5 for a transaction made a month ago but there was no any notice and last two weeks there was no any trade or deduction as they claim. I would not even ask for it unless on my previous dividend payments on March 31, I found $12 off and decided that it was my mistake on records and was waiting if it is a small cheating amount appears again and here it was.

Last edited:
Banked with Wells for 40 years. Not many problems that I can recall. One time a branch manager overruled a rep that waived the $20 fee for some transaction. The manager was not pleasant when asked about it. He no longer works there, so I guess mine was not the only complaint. I did have an overanxious rep corner me at another branch and try to sign me up as one of his clients. I refused. Next day his name showed up on my account. Had a nice chat with the branch manager and sales guy was removed from the account.

A B of A auto teller ate a check under $2.00. Had fun getting that fixed. Filled out some form and a few weeks later the problem was resolved. However, I know several people that had the same problem. I pay attention to the transactions now and don't use their machines.

Have accounts with Chase and some online banks. No problems with those. Overall I think banks function reasonably well, given the number of points of service and the "variety" of people they serve.

Somehow this always comes to mind when I think about how banks and financial corporations getting over on the little guy, and you have to love Richard Pryor.

Barclay's has been great with my credit cards. Over the years I've had several disputes, each of which resulted favorably.

I have been using the Fidelity Visa without issue. I have text/email alerts on the card and see every non card present transaction in real time.

Never been cheated. The only mistake I can remember in many years ago, when I use to mail in investment purchases to Fidelity, once I noticed on the confirmation that the wrong mutual fund had been purchased. I called them, they could see my request, apologized, and fixed it. Of course, had I left it as it, I would have done better financially :).

Wells Fargo ended up with my mortgage, and I had a horrific time when I tried to refinance with them, so I ran as far away from them as possible. I had etrade with no issues, but I moved to Ameritrade when Ameritrade started charging much less for trade commissions (back before the days of zero commissions).

With credit cards, I have not had problems and the alerts work well. In fact, We could have cheated Chase once. We were traveling and they contacted us about our credit card being used for unusual purchases in another state. They could have just cancelled it, but since getting us a new one while traveling would have been difficult, they said "we will keep the card open, just check your account daily and let us know of any that are fraudulent, we will cancel those transactions". They trusted us, which is one reason we use their cards. We have also flagged incorrect transactions, and they put the burden of proof on the vendor, not us.

I cancelled the card and refused a replacement. I do not trust Wells Fargo anymore.

Back
Top Bottom