Did you have a financial cheating attempt from your Banks or Financial institutions ?

How did you get the notice to approve that charge? And how did you reply, and with what information?
Could it be that the notification was actually the scammers and you then gave them enough information to THEN make that charge?
Set up a notification on ALL CCs and checking accounts to notify you of any charge/withdrawal, or deposit over $0.01. This will help you determine if any contact about a charge is legit AND give you immediate notice if your card is being used by someone else.
Also NEVER use a debit card except in an ATM at a bank (and never on a weekend or holiday).

ALL credit cards are uniquely numbered so when that number is plugged into a specific algorithm, it produces a number from a certain set of numbers. This is one way that credit cards are "validated" when the bank is closed or the entry is processed later. Well, scammers know these algorithms and it is common for one to make up a CC number that passes that algorithm check and use it to charge merchandise.
This could have been something that happened in your case.

Last edited:
25 or so years ago I had an account with Schwab. It was supposed to be free other than the mutual fund fees. A couple of times a year they'd suddenly "upgrade" me to an account that had maintenance fees. I'd call and get the fees reversed and the account reverted to the free one. After a few years of this I decided I couldn't trust them and moved everything to Vanguard. My mother had the same thing happen and followed me to Vanguard.

It happened to my son's account with BOA. He responded back to text indicating that it was not his charge. It went through and when he tried to dispute it, he was asked if he had his card with him, which he did. BOA then told him that it wasn't fraudulent then and my son had used the card to make the charge. He went back and forth with BOA and finally told me about it. Back then, I had ML Wealth Management and I contacted my FA, who then went to their BOA liaison, who credited the money back to my son's account.

Heh, heh, we "scammed" the bank (and told them about it.) We paid a bill by check of around $900. The check cleared and even came back to us BUT the bank never debited our account. We must have told them about this 5 times, but they said their records were correct. We eventually closed that account and the bank never contacted us about it. All these years later, I sorta feel guilty. I'd like to think when the bank makes a mistake, it's as honest about it as we were. I also hope banks are better stewards of their own money than our bank was.

Worst problem I had with a bank (probably honest mistake) was when they failed to credit a deposit, whereupon I bounced several checks. Took a while to sort it out but finally did. I didn't like their attitude - even when they finally agreed it was their mistake. Their apology was forced and lack luster at best.

How did you get the notice to approve that charge? And how did you reply, and with what information?
Could it be that the notification was actually the scammers and you then gave them enough information to THEN make that charge?

I dealt only with Wells Fargo Credit Cards Administration Dpt (the phone on the back of the card) and later with Wells Fargo Investigation Dept. If you access Welles Fargo CC (your account), the charge was put on our account. They failed to remove the charge, when we notified them by text and call and in fact did not do any check out, stop the fraud and investigation like contacting the shop, what was purchased, if in person buyer, they had to check the ID on such large amount and compare a signature with the one on the card, if the order was by phone: what address it was shipped to. In fact nothing was done until I filed the official complaint with CA consumer financial protection dpt and BBB. Only then they started to investigate and finally removed the charge after 1 month and 1 week.

I agree with Street that I would dig a hole for my money before I did business with Wells Fargo. A few friends have horror stories. When I was guardian for my friend all I needed to do was change the address for her pension check or get them to direct deposit it which her husband set up before dying.

They kept mailing it to their old house and she was in a nursing home. Meanwhile we needed the 350/month for her care. Over a period of 2 months and 8 phone calls and 4 visits to different branches until it got straightened out.

I agree with Street that I would dig a hole for my money before I did business with Wells Fargo. A few friends have horror stories. When I was guardian for my friend all I needed to do was change the address for her pension check or get them to direct deposit it which her husband set up before dying.

They kept mailing it to their old house and she was in a nursing home. Meanwhile we needed the 350/month for her care. Over a period of 2 months and 8 phone calls and 4 visits to different branches until it got straightened out.
This is exactly what I tried to show that the Wells Fargo does not care about their customers, their customer service does nothing to help you, when they failed to act on customer requests or reports.

This is exactly what I tried to show that the Wells Fargo does not care about their customers, their customer service does nothing to help you, when they failed to act on customer requests or reports.

Too big to fail, er, I mean to care.:(

Back
Top Bottom