Do you always have a limit order going?

Easysurfer, You may have moved ahead in the standings. I did not see the contest rules of a $5 limit on the stock price and had to sell a stock and buy another to replace it.

I didn't even notice the $5 stock limit and was thinking more the $5 virtual commission.

Maybe the trades haven't processed for you yet as I just checked right now and you are still on top,

I promise, I won't be posting the leader board so often. But like the Daytona 500, there is more coverage at the start and end of the race, so will make this exception.

Attachments

• contest.jpg
    contest.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I didn't even notice the $5 stock limit and was thinking more the $5 virtual commission.

Maybe the trades haven't processed for you yet as I just checked right now and you are still on top,

I promise, I won't be posting the leader board so often. But like the Daytona 500, there is more coverage at the start and end of the race, so will make this exception.

I'm wondering what else I may have messed up. I could be eliminated for not following the rules. Was investing in Index funds part of the contest? I didn't, though I do have some index funds in my 401k and a rollover IRA. I didn't see anyone else signing up and did want to see how BOHO was going to do for the contest. We can always learn something. I may learn to read the rules!

I'm wondering what else I may have messed up. I could be eliminated for not following the rules. Was investing in Index funds part of the contest? I didn't, though I do have some index funds in my 401k and a rollover IRA. I didn't see anyone else signing up and did want to see how BOHO was going to do for the contest. We can always learn something. I may learn to read the rules!

The contest link is in my sig

Removed per rules. The contest is at goo.gl/ui8JI8

Splitwdw,

Click on the link that Boho gave and that shows the rules. Yes, investing in funds are allowed. You can invest in anything that is allowed.

The index fund discussion was mainly because Boho was saying in earlier posts that he can easily beat out the index. But invest on whatever you feel is best. Up to you.

Don't feel too bad as I made an investment to get used to the website, then ended up buying more of the same thing. Costed me $5 commission :facepalm:.

Last edited:
URBN dropped 4.6% the day after it was removed from the S&P. Fake drop! I think that will be my next buy.

And They are Off and Running ....

Just realized, the "Beat Boho" contest status is public so no need for me to post updates on a regular basis.

If you want to follow along who's on top of the leader board (which may change frequently) here you go:

Stock Contest Status for "Beat Boho"

Remember, we've only just begun :cool:.

Ok, I joined too. I put in a order for 1450 shares of Gilead, which is about $98,000 if it opens at 68 tomorrow. Today was ex-div so it might open $0.52 lower (the dividend).

Sounds like fun, so I decided to join as well.

Will try and trade in a similar manner as i do my regular account.

Ok, I joined too. I put in a order for 1450 shares of Gilead, which is about $98,000 if it opens at 68 tomorrow. Today was ex-div so it might open $0.52 lower (the dividend).

Sounds like fun, so I decided to join as well.

Will try and trade in a similar manner as i do my regular account.

Glad you joined to contest. The more the merrier.

Heck, it's not every day we get 100K to play with :D.

Easysurfer, I still must be doing something wrong. When you look at the overall standings it does show we all have a balance of around 100,000. Under my account summary it shows the 3 stocks that I bought and I only had 10,000. to invest. It actually shows I have under profits -31.27. The first stock I attempted to buy, it showed I didn't have enough money. I was trying to use 1/3 of the 100,000., 30,000.
Avail. cash=19.13, withheld cash=0, short sales=0, stocks=9949.60, total=9968.73

Also, does your account receive dividends if your stock issues them.

This is funny, I have no problems buying and selling on TD Ameritrade, Vanguard and Fidelity but can't figure out this game.

Easysurfer, I still must be doing something wrong. When you look at the overall standings it does show we all have a balance of around 100,000. Under my account summary it shows the 3 stocks that I bought and I only had 10,000. to invest. It actually shows I have under profits -31.27. The first stock I attempted to buy, it showed I didn't have enough money. I was trying to use 1/3 of the 100,000., 30,000.
Avail. cash=19.13, withheld cash=0, short sales=0, stocks=9949.60, total=9968.73

Also, does your account receive dividends if your stock issues them.

This is funny, I have no problems buying and selling on TD Ameritrade, Vanguard and Fidelity but can't figure out this game.

The 10,000 vs 100,000 confused me too and the navigation on the site doesn't seem that intuitive to me. I think the 10,000 is what you get as default for your own test portfolio. The 100,000 is the amount allocated for the contest. They are two different portfolios.

Looks like something didn't process for you as your balance still shows at 100,000 as I would have expected a change. Maybe you bought out of the 10,000 portfolio and not the 100,000?

Not sure about the dividends.

Tried again. Reset my account, changed the 10,000.00 account balance to 100,000. and rebought my shares. Now I'm wondering, how often you can reset your account to the original 100,000. At the end of the contest and everyone is under 100,000. can you reset to 100,000. Now that would be funny!

IRL, I bought 100 Shares of URBN for $23.95 with no settled cash so I think I'll be holding it for at least 24 hours because if I sell before paying from settled cash I'll get my second good faith violation.

Just read this thread. I went to the Web site, saw the contestants and their portfolio values.

Is there anyway I can see their holdings and trade records without having to register?

Just read this thread. I went to the Web site, saw the contestants and their portfolio values.

Is there anyway I can see their holdings and trade records without having to register?

No, it's set to "Accounts Viewable: After the contest" and that's one of the settings that I can't change during the contest.

No, it's set to "Accounts Viewable: After the contest" and that's one of the settings that I can't change during the contest.

The "after the contest" is the way things should be. Otherwise, that would be like seeing the opponents' cards during poker :).

Tried again. Reset my account, changed the 10,000.00 account balance to 100,000. and rebought my shares. Now I'm wondering, how often you can reset your account to the original 100,000. At the end of the contest and everyone is under 100,000. can you reset to 100,000. Now that would be funny!

If we all end up under 100,000 then we all flunked :( and should have stayed 100% in cash.

Unless the market takes a big big dive, then having something like $75,000 would make you look like a genius.

Are you sure you didn't just reset your individual portfolio?

The contest rules looks like zero resets are allowed. Plus, your balance on the trader board still shows sitting steady at 100K.

Changing the bid price is cumbersome - existing order has to be cancelled, then a new order entered. No option to simply edit the bid price.

And there seems to be no option to do any kind of Covered Call or cash-secured Put trading. Forget about exotic strategies like Butterflies or Iron Condors. :blush:

I think at some point I'll start trading stock in this contest to assure I'll be at least in the top 2. Maybe I'll wait 6 months before I do that. It's hard to tell how reckless other players will be but I predict my skillful recklessness will put me in the top two by the end of the year and well ahead of the S&P.

Last edited:
Contest talk should probably be in its own thread. Back to me... I have an order to buy another 100 Shares of URBN Limit at $23.70 (Good 'til Canceled).

I changed it to $23.71 on the theory that many people would use round numbers and if they all buy at my buy price the price may go up before my order gets to be filled.

Filled at $23.71

Last edited:
Contest talk should probably be in its own thread. Back to me... I have an order to buy another 100 Shares of URBN Limit at $23.70 (Good 'til Canceled).

I can create a new thread for the contest.

Back
Top Bottom