Do you wear a mask in stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I can heartly congratulate the many vigilant people here. I have came a long ways, but I was one of those guys who would head the bathroom while finishing off a sandwich. So its been hard...Got plenty of wipes in the car, try to minimize trips, and do practice social spacing. So I have came that far. The twice weekly golf outings just arent going to stop with the dozen or so guys I play with though. But we do practice the social distancing rules both in general and what is being implemented at the courses.

The twice weekly golf outings just arent going to stop with the dozen or so guys I play with though. But we do practice the social distancing rules both in general and what is being implemented at the courses.

Um what state still has golf courses open, and permits groups of 12?

Lol! Good one. When has that ever stopped a politician?

Kind of a misrepresentation. The Gov cannot be educated in technical details in ALL other fields. That's why they PAY the others for the information. What you're implying is we need a government and politicians made up of every possible field of human endeavor and then we can simply ignore practitioners in every field of human endeavor and get right to things.

It's the general fallacy of people hating the government or government people. The Government is made up of people from outside of government. That's where they all come from.

Now politicians as a specif group, yeah, you always have to be suspicious of an agenda there but even that gets called "policy" most of the time and that's what they get elected on.

Suffice it to say none of the "civil leadership" types were proceeding based on having a biology degree or medical degree. That information was coming from doctors and other STEM majors. If teh politicos picked teh wrong choice, which could be an honest, good faith miscue, why wasn't the medical industry getting teh word out on the real deal?

One answer is: Because they themselves know less than they wish us to beleive they do but dare not admit it. Bad for their image and income. That is the same mental place that guides politicians. Strange-assed bedfellows!

Last edited:
I don't. But if we can figure out how to whip one up at home, I will use it, if only to give others the peace of mind. Honestly, I've seen more than a few people from how their eyes look that they aren't exactly 100% healthy. It could be allergies, but they look downright miserable in some cases. I fear some people are deluding themselves into thinking that wearing a mask when not completely well (for whatever reason) will protect them and others. I'd rather encounter someone who is healthy without a mask than someone who isn't healthy with a mask on.

Um what state still has golf courses open, and permits groups of 12?

Uhm, we dont tee off in a group of 12... You play foursomes per hole each with individual per cart, no double ups. Next group of 4 tees off after first 4 are gone..Do this until everyone gets on course. We settle up the money after the round, all spaced away from each other. No flag sticks are in the holes and contraptions are put in cups so you dont have to dig for the ball. I take wipes though because I am always touching my face and that just isnt going to change as its a reflexive habit I dont even think about. I live in MO, and its rural areas but access to many ruralish area golf courses. We called today tee time is set for Tuesday and they said they get to stay open.

The twice weekly golf outings just arent going to stop with the dozen or so guys I play with though.

Right. Got it. You are special. Your group is special.

You see, when everyone isn't going to stop, this fails. It is failing.

Right. Got it. You are special. Your group is special.

You see, when everyone isn't going to stop, this fails. It is failing.

Im practicing all precautions. Nothing illegal is being done. I sleep well knowing I will outlive your judgmental self.

This bad boy has been hanging out in my attic waiting for the perfect opportunity to come out for public use. I used to hate wearing it when I had to, but now...I get an excuse to wear it and it will BE AWESOME.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 172
I haven't and have only seen ONE person with amsk. And that was maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago. Perhaps the lady already had a cold or something and had nothing to do with the current mask madness? I will be wearing one to the store tomorrow because I suspect I will see others with them. (But then this is Iowa, so who knows?)

I have a bunch of constructions masks from a few yrs ago I bought for sanding my deck. I will use them "while supplies last."

BUT... in case you haven't seen this... I've tried it and it works well with 100% cotton bar towels.

Other countries may have an ego problem, well I'll include the U.S. in that.
I do think there was some innate rejection of the mask-wearing habits of Asian countries, but honestly I think most of it was realizing that the US did not have nearly enough commercial masks to meet the need of everyone using one.

Thank goodness they've finally woken up to recommend homemade masks.

I agree on the idea of wearing a mask whenever a person is in a place where he/she can't control the social distancing.

I tried making one of those no-sew masks using a bandanna and two rubber bands. It works well enough for a quick trip to the store, though I wouldn't want to wear one all day.

So now I can make no-knead bread and no-sew masks. Very good. But, I draw the line at no-contact kissing.

Last edited:
Wearing a mask is important, especially for reducing (not eliminating) risk to others. But don't forget that if you want to reduce your own risk you also need eye protection. The eye protection needs to be airtight for best effect. Shields that are not airtight do not optimally protect you from air that may circulate behind them.

I am making myself wear my homemade mask while sitting on the porch. Side benefit--I think it is helping my pollen allergies, although my nose is still running some which makes the mask hard to wear. Maybe if I wear the mask consistently while outside my nose will quit running.

Kind of a misrepresentation. The Gov cannot be educated in technical details in ALL other fields. That's why they PAY the others for the information. What you're implying is we need a government and politicians made up of every possible field of human endeavor and then we can simply ignore practitioners in every field of human endeavor and get right to things.

I wasn't implying that the people in the gov't should be expert at all things. What I was actually saying is that they like to claim expertise in any topic despite their personal lack of knowledge. If there's a bigger group of people that take credit for other people's work I've never seen them.

It's the general fallacy of people hating the government or government people. The Government is made up of people from outside of government. That's where they all come from.

Actually the largest group of people in Congress are professional politicians (that like to call themselves public servants). Between them and the lawyers that never practiced real law they make up about 2/3 of the Congress. So no, I don't agree that most of them are from outside the Government. Some are, there are a significant number of business people and educators too, but they pale in comparison to the professional politicians.

My point was that lack of knowledge has never stopped people in general, and especially politicians, from making stuff up.

I am making myself wear my homemade mask while sitting on the porch. Side benefit--I think it is helping my pollen allergies, although my nose is still running some which makes the mask hard to wear. Maybe if I wear the mask consistently while outside my nose will quit running.

That #*!!* pollen isn’t very welcome at a time when one wonders, “Am I OK?”.

Announced Friday.

Yes, agreed. But as always, its the details that matter...

In announcing the stay-at-home order, Governor Parson has allowed golf courses to remain open throughout the duration of the order. Golf courses can also be maintained during this time.

Like many governors' orders, the Missouri stay-at-home order allows residents to leave their homes for outdoor exercise provided proper precautions are taken and social distancing is observed. That's become a new normal at golf courses around the United States that are able to remain open, with modified cups to prevent touching common surfaces, as well removing shared surfaces like bunker rakes, ball washers and water coolers.

My point was that lack of knowledge has never stopped people in general, and especially politicians, from making stuff up.

That's why I am unimpressed by so called experts. In ANY FIELD. Especially in the private sector. They're all politicking in a sense. Don't know why only politicians get the bad rapp

Wearing a mask is important, especially for reducing (not eliminating) risk to others. But don't forget that if you want to reduce your own risk you also need eye protection. The eye protection needs to be airtight for best effect. Shields that are not airtight do not optimally protect you from air that may circulate behind them.

Do we have any credible sources to validate this theory that wearing eye protection provides any real benefit? Even the masks we are wearing are not intended to prevent the virus from passing through them. They are only intended to reduce the spread of droplets when we open our own mouths.

I don’t have airtight eye protection, so I am making do with safety glasses.

Missouri governor announced stay at home order:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...order-starts-monday-governor-says/ar-BB12bkH3

Unless of course golf course is essential.

It starts Monday, so I expect a flood of Missourians headed towards Wyoming, Utah and the Dakotas. That was the mistake China made. They announced the closure of the city but gave people 48 hours notice. Estimates are that over one million citizens fled to other parts of China before the city was closed.

OTOH, the leaders of one Chinese village dug a huge hole in the road leading to their village in order to keep outsiders away. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom