Doctor visit or Deposition?

Martha said:
You guys are too paranoid.
I agree with you, Martha. We live with the "malpractice" shadow all the time, but rarely does it surface. And when it does, it is usually the patient you haven't heard from for 6 months, not the squeaky wheels.

Best protection is to listen to your patients and practice good medicine. Most patients just want to know they are being genuinely heard. I've never practiced defensive medicine (i.e. more tests, referrals and over-treatment without scientific reason), though I do practice defensive charting (recording even trivial phone exchanges, detailed recounts of what risks were discussed etc.).

This recording question is more about impeding the relationship. Since I'd never seen the patient before, I can feel confident I was not being targeted for malpractice claims.

I agree.

The same goes for lawyers.

When I was in management, if a small mistake was made (we didn't have any big mistakes), I said fess up, apologize and make it right at no cost to the client.

If you're going to work, work hard and do good work is surely the right advice. If you get caught up in trying to anticipate how to avoid potential problems of possible antagonists . . . well, work just turns to sh#t.

Good work does not always guarantee success and satisfaction, but the alternatives almost certainly guarantee misery. :)

Back
Top Bottom