Dog Advice Needed

Dogs eat cat poop for several reasons - 1) opportunistic eaters - just hungry 2) boredom 3) natural instincts - cover up traces so enemies/predators don't find 'em

Obviously dogs do not view it as a disgusting habit. I imagine they often wonder why we smoke and conclude that at least their poop habit doesn't kill 'em.

My puppy was a sneak peer and pooper. It was not just puppy mischief, it definitely had to do with dominance and marking. The sneaky part had to do with him being yelled at/struck by an ******* former owner (we found him at the pound).

I know the peeing has to do with dominance because husband coddles the dog and allows him to sit in his lap, etc., which the dog repays by peeing on his side of the bed. The dog will also sneak upstairs and crap in the unoccupied rooms (meaning, "hey, you aren't using them, so they're mine now").

Our solution is to crate the dog when we aren't in the house. The crate is a wonderful tool for training a dog. Dogs learn to love them, believe it or not. When the dog is not in his crate or outside, he is supposed to be on his "spot" (his beanbag bed.) Unless I am playing with him, feeding him or petting him, he is on his "spot".

Besides the crate and obedience training, try pleny of exercise. That should cut way down on negative behaviors.

snarfing down poop

See the recent "Diamond dog food" thread.

I don't need to add that the dog should not be allowed on your bed, ever. (Not saying you do this but) when people let dogs sleep on their beds, it does confuse the hierarchy. You are the boss so you get to be higher up. Not him.

A sharp "no!" (and you have to mean it) when he gets up there, and in a little while he'll get the idea.

Hmm...my dogs sleep on the bed...so do the cats...but everyone knows who the lead dog is... :)

ladelfina said:
See the recent "Diamond dog food" thread.

I don't need to add that the dog should not be allowed on your bed, ever. (Not saying you do this but) when people let dogs sleep on their beds, it does confuse the hierarchy. You are the boss so you get to be higher up. Not him.

A sharp "no!" (and you have to mean it) when he gets up there, and in a little while he'll get the idea.

I tried a sharp "no" this morning and he left a nice fresh pile at the bottom of the stairs :)

He's a lean, mean pooping machine,

Oh please change that picture. You built great karma with the Giant Boob Woman. That karma has gone severely negative at this time.

You've never heard me yell "no". ;)

cube_rat said:
I tried a sharp "no" this morning and he left a nice fresh pile at the bottom of the stairs  :)   

He's a lean, mean pooping machine,

Time for crate training...

Back
Top Bottom