Done it. First day of retirement today.

annienz

Dryer sheet aficionado
After much soul-searching/ hand-wringing/ lying on the couch calculating/ boring the pants off friends...I quit my job yesterday and from today I am retired, aged 53.

I should feel sadness at leaving a wonderful career, but I don't. The impact on my health was just too great - rotational shift work in emergency services. Instead I just feel free.

Today is a special day that I am going to treasure and remember forever. In time, my emotions may change, and I accept that. But for now, this day is all mine.

Thank you for letting me share.:)

Congratulations and welcome. Let us know what you do with yourself all day.

Thank you ever so much :) I'm going to treat it with the reverence it deserves. It's very, very special.:)

Congratulations! Hopefully, this day - amazing as it may be - will be eclipsed by the many greater days to come.

Congratulations! Enjoy every minute of your retirement.

I should feel sadness at leaving a wonderful career, but I don't. The impact on my health was just too great - rotational shift work in emergency services. Instead I just feel free.

I can relate to that. I did that too for 18 years then moved to a straight day work job with the same employer. Even just that was liberating - no more shift work, weekends and holidays off just like normal people! And while I liked the work, the health issues were starting to crop up ~age 40 and I knew I needed to make a change.

Congratulations!

After much soul-searching/ hand-wringing/ lying on the couch calculating/ boring the pants off friends...I quit my job yesterday and from today I am retired, aged 53.

Today is a special day that I am going to treasure and remember forever. In time, my emotions may change, and I accept that. But for now, this day is all mine.

Congratulations! Nothing like that first day!

Congrats, Annienz. Your quick story about your first day of freedom reminds me a little of my last day or work and shortly after that. I was nearly in tears on my final trip home, a long train ride (actually 2 trains), especially during the short walk home from the station. When I entered my apartment following my last commute, a commute I so despised even 2 days a week (I worked part-time for a while), I yelled out, "I'm Free!"

And I have been for more than 5 years since that wonderful day. :)

Congratulations Annie! I wish you the best as you decide how this new chapter in your life should play out.

I wish you fantastic health, lots of fun, and freedom from stress and worry!!

Congratulations, Annienz!

You are embarking on such a wonderful adventure!

Congrats Annie, and kudos for having the courage to pull the plug! The feeling of freedom is indeed precious.

Thanks again, everyone, for the congrats. As the day wore on I went from feeling fine to feeling ridiculously happy. Who knew making pumpkin soup could be so satisfying? Or sitting in the sun with a cup of herbal tea and the cat at my feet, looking lovingly up at her mummy :)

I had a wonderful day, and it was very interesting to get the responses from some of my friends...the big one seemed to be this kind of panicked, "But what are you going to DO?" I don't really like to say, "Well frankly...nothing..." because I know not everyone has the choice to do what I've done.

I rang my mum and dad and gave them my roster for the next week: No earlies, No lates, No nights...ever. I used to have to ring them and tell them what shift I was on.:D

Ended the evening by drinking way too much wine with my husband and curling up in bed feeling this delicious sense of absolute freedom.

Congratulations annienz,
I too retired from shift work. The very best of my six months of retirement has sleeping at night! Lots of other great times doing whatever I wanted to do.

...the big one seemed to be this kind of panicked, "But what are you going to DO?" I don't really like to say, "Well frankly...nothing..." .

I've had the same reaction and have been providing the same answer. The point is, to DO what I WANT...if that is nothing, so what? I think the people who ask that question have so little internal support they can't even imagine not having the structure and time and energy consumption that is provided by a job.

I've had the same reaction and have been providing the same answer. The point is, to DO what I WANT...if that is nothing, so what? I think the people who ask that question have so little internal support they can't even imagine not having the structure and time and energy consumption that is provided by a job.

I'm hearing you. There have been an ever-increasing number of people contacting me saying, "Have you REALLY left?" followed by, "I wanna leave too! Tell me how I can!"

My biggest fear was lack of social contact but (even though it's only day 2) I already have 5 appointments for coffee/ wine/ movies in the next 10 days. I've been surprised who's come out of the woodwork and said "Good on you - let's catch up."

Back
Top Bottom